• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An Anime Character That Deserves A Lot Of Hate

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
Recently on Youtube,I had a look at a video that had the most hated characters in anime. No surprise that a guy named Shou Tucker from "Full Metal Alchemist" would appear on that list. I've heard about what that guy did and don't worry,I'm with the rest of the community when I say I hate the guy,too. To me,whatever form of execution they have in their world would be very appropriate for him. He deserves it and a lot more than that. You don't do the things he did and should get off with just life imprisonment. He deserved to be executed and also all the hate he got for it. Any list with the most hated anime characters would be incomplete without this animal on it.
Another character on that list was "My Hero Academia's" Endeavor. What he did to his family,including his son,would cause that sort of hate. Even though he's trying to make up for his past actions,I can see why he would get and might I add,deserve that hatred. But,there's another character on that same show that deserves a lot more hate than he gets. Although most of the characters on "MHA" are likable,there's one of them that isn't and I don't know why people like him so much.

And,for me,that character is Katsuki Bakugo. What is it about him that people like so much? He's loud,obnoxious,a complete jerk,and a bully. In my opinion,he's easily one of the least likable,most hateful characters on that show. In many ways,he's like Char Aznable,the Ted Bundy of anime. Somehow,like Bakugo,he got a fan club even though he does some pretty horrible things. These two are able to get fans in spite of their misdeeds and it's a mystery to me as to why.
If Bakugo ever decided to go to the other side,it wouldn't surprise me in the least. He has all or nearly all of the personality traits of a villain. For goodness sakes,Lex Luthor would tell him to cool it. In Bakugo's eyes,everything's all about him and he treats others like trash,including Midoriya,who for reasons I haven't been able to explain,kept hanging out with him.

I've heard that a lot of people compared him to those like Naruto,Wolverine,or Rambo. I'm sorry,but to me,these comparisons have often fallen flat. Yeah,like Naruto,they're both pretty powerful and you don't want to get on the bad sides of either Wolverine or Rambo. But,that's where the similarities to those three characters end. For all his faults,Naruto cared about other people. He put his life on the line to help out others,including his friends. He eventually earned the love and respect he got.
While both Bakugo and Wolverine have got monster tempers,that's not only thing that defined him. While Wolverine could get mad and God help anyone who got him mad,he did have a compassionate side. He did care about others and the only time he did get mad was when he had reason to. Same thing with Rambo. You wouldn't want to make him mad at you but he had reasons to be angry. And,when Rambo gets mad at you,it's a good idea to find a place to hide.

And,I don't find those characteristics in Bakugo. He doesn't have the caring of either Naruto or Wolverine or some of the justifiable anger of Rambo. He doesn't care about anyone,including Izuku. Basically,he's a callous,nasty,angry,obnoxious creep who's one good point is that he admires All Might. Why does he want to be a hero? Most of the other characters have better reasons. Midoriya wanted to be a hero because he genuinely wanted to help and protect other people. Uraraka wanted to be a hero for the money,but that was because she wanted to give her parents something better than what they had. Iida's proud of his family and wants to prove that he's as great a hero as any of them,including his older brother.
I don't see anything like that in Bakugo. He doesn't really care about anyone,least of all,Midoriya. He even told him to commit suicide simply because he didn't have a Quirk. All in all,he's a nasty creep who has a temper that would make Godzilla run and hide. Unfortunately,his mom's just as temper-prone as he is. The only person in the Bakugo family who earns my sympathy is his father. It's hard not to imagine him wondering what he did that was so bad in a previous life that had cursed him to be around two of the angriest people on the face of the earth,his wife and son. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't contemplate harakiri at some point in his life. If I were in his shoes,those thoughts would immediately pop into my head. But,what do you think? Am I being to hard on him or not?

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total
ayushiest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Its not like every side character should have equal contribution- One can have less, one can have more. There should be a distinction.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Bakugo basically made me give up trying to watch MHA. Just couldn't stand him.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:34 am Reply with quote
Well,I'm glad to see this one finally get some comments. Smile Since ayushiest was the first,I'll respond to him or her first. It wasn't Bakugo's contribution to the plot that got to me. He's just an abrasive,nasty character. I never liked that. Although he gets better,it's not by a whole lot. I just wished someone punched him in the face. I simply have a hard time with that creep.
As for you Blood-,I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Bakugo. It's just a shame that he made you quit watching "MHA." There are far better characters on the show that are basically better than him. I hope you return to the show. It's very good. I hope you give it another chance. It's very enjoyable. I've been watching it. As I've said before,he's one of the least likable characters on the show,but you shouldn't have let him spoil the show for you. There are better characters on the show. I hope one day you'll give "MHA" another chance. I promise,you won't be disappointed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I have been tempted to try MHA again. I suspect I will return to it at some point. The problem is that there is so much anime I want to watch that it's a bit hard to justify going back to something that turned me off in favour of trying something I think I might really like.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:26 am Reply with quote
Well,I hope you do,Blood-. "My Hero Academia" is pretty good. Don't let one bad character spoil a good anime. Bakugo may be nasty but most of the other characters are great. You'd really like them once you get a chance. I hope you go back to it. You won't regret it.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I’m barely starting MHA and Baku is already making me consider dropping it. Such a poor 2D character. One note that’s it.

And Raki from Claymore. Again almost took me entirely out of the series. But part of that may have been amplified by the hideous English dub voice actor. Even with subs I hated his inclusion.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:49 am Reply with quote
Don't let Bakugo bother you,InfiniteJest. As I told Blood-,there are far better characters in "MHA" than him. If you give up on a potentially good anime just because of one bad character,you'll miss out on a lot of great stuff you'll end up regretting later. Again,I don't like Bakugo a whole lot but I never let him bother me enough to give up on the series. There are a lot of great characters in the show. Characters you'll like a lot. I suggest sticking with "MHA",InfiniteJest. You won't regret it. I promise you.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:03 am Reply with quote
yeah, that's how almost everyone starts. just keep going. he's a completely different person by the end of season 6
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:14 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I only have to plow through six seasons until he becomes tolerable! Yay!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:03 am Reply with quote
While getchman is right,Blood- that Bakugo eventually gets tolerable after season 6,it's not by much. But,there are much better characters on the show which make it worthwhile. There's Izuku,Momo,Kaminari,Jiro,and the rest. There's a great song that Kyoka sings called "Hero Too" that you'd enjoy. Also,there's this absolutely adorable kid named Eri. The others really like her and after the tough time she had,Izuku and Company are really great for her.
There's also a character who shows up in season 6 simply called Ordinary Woman. Many people say she's one of the cutest characters in the series and I've seen her in a couple of episodes. They're not lying. She helps out Midoriya at a tough time with another character. Even Minoru Mineta for all his silly antics is slightly better than Bakugo. As I said before,don't let one bad character ruin a good anime for you,Blood-. There are a lot of much more enjoyable characters than Bakugo. You'll be missing out on something good if you don't watch. I promise. It'll be worth it for you if you try "MHA" again. You'll see.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:15 am Reply with quote
I didn't say that
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
Bakugo shows depth in season 3 at the earliest. Which is pretty understandable if you don't feel like watching that long to get to it
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:38 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I didn't say that

In a sense, you did. I hate him so much, I NEED him to be a completely different person from where he started to be even mildly tolerable. According to you, that takes 6 seasons.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'll work on those 6 sessions after I get through everything else on my Want to Watch list...so everyone may need to check back in at my funeral (because I'm going to die of old age before I can make it through my list)!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2