• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Given Boys-Love Anime Gets Film in 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
YES!!! More Given with better animation!
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Given a lot more than I expected. Really thrilled to hear we're getting a movie about the team mom and dad Haruki and Akihiko. They deserve to be happy!
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
darn so the main pairing of interest wont be covered? Not excited.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
I haven’t read it yet but from what I’ve heard, the later chapters of the manga don’t focus on Ritsuka and Mafuyu as much. I just hope this movie won’t turn into a YOI situation where we end up waiting forever to see it get made. I’ve really enjoyed watching Given every week so I’m glad we’re getting a continuation.
MF65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not as big a fan of the Haruki/Akihiko story as I am of the main pairing's, but more Given is always welcome. Lerche did a fantastic job adapting the manga, so I have great expectations for the continuation.
Яeverse wrote:

Mafuyu and Ue-sama will still have plenty of screentime, I reckon. They just won't be the main focus. Kind of a reverse situation of what happened with the tv series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for another season, but I guess this will have to do. Better than nothing. Not that we'll get to see it any time soon.

Series continuing in movies always feels like Netflix jail to me. Even after it's made, there's months of waiting until the theater receipts are milked dry, and more months after that until someone licenses it, and more months if the licensor decides to do theaters outside of Japan before they stream it, or BDs happen.

All that seems to go faster these days, but it still feels like waiting for Netflix to decide to release something, and the response is diluted in the same way, since people are getting to see it at all different times. C'est la vie.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Given was really great! I can't wait for the movie.
I keep hoping for a Blu-ray release in the future.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Akihiko/harukis arc is best covered in movie format I think. Both in terms of content (akihiko is a fuccboi) and just pacing. Its not something you want spread over a season. Uenoyama and Mafuyu will still have time in the background- them navigating the boundries of their very puppy love relationship is cute but it won't be the focus.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
I haven’t read it yet but from what I’ve heard, the later chapters of the manga don’t focus on Ritsuka and Mafuyu as much.
I've read scans of the manga and yeah Uenoyama and Mafuyu definitely get put on the back burner a bit, which imo wasn't that big a deal as I find Akihiro and Haruki to be more interesting
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1