• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: MegaBots Throws in The Towel on Mecha Battles, Plans for Bankruptcy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Not a big surprise. Even if the fight with Kuratas wasn't totally lame*, I'm not sure there would've been enough of a stream of regular competition to sustain interest anyway.

*The fact that it was most certainly didn't help - being promised a live stream, then getting an edited together video of various staged encounters of a bigger robot pushing around a smaller one was a massive disappointment.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Make me wonders if these mechs have any use besides mecha battles. like in constructions ?
partially

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Yep, the concept for this was just bad to begin with. Nobody is going to want to spend millions building a giant machine then put it in a fight where it is destroyed in minutes. Not least because there just isn't the money in the scene to sustain such fights, so they were always going to be ridiculously staged.

Hence small robots that beat the &*^) out of each other were always the more practical option. And will remain our only option for the foreseeable future.
micah007

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful feat of Engineering. I wish I had the materials to build one, or at least buy that one.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Hikifroggy wrote:
Make me wonders if these mechs have any use besides mecha battles. like in constructions ?

Yeah, someone should make an anime about it someday Rolling Eyes
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised -- demolition derbies everywhere are having problems; this is just another form of that....
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Hikifroggy wrote:

Yeah, someone should make an anime about it someday Rolling Eyes

I see you Cool

spoiler[you DID mean patlabor I hope lol]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
Hikifroggy wrote:
Not sure if this is serious, but if you watched the "fight" it seemed to me that the machines could barely lift their arms above their "heads" so I doubt they could lift something very heavy. The army tried to make "man amplifier" machines similar to what appeared in the second Alien movie and gave up because everyone finds out that such are almost too heavy to get to move and power from batteries. Plus expensive.

Too bad, I was hoping this idea might gain momentum. And this, boys and girls, is why Gundam is a dumb idea...
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
It should be noted most mecha shows get around the obvious weight problems by using some fictional super light weight metal or anti-grav technology.

So unless we can make that shit giant mecha is unfeasible.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:23 am Reply with quote
I mean design the mecha for other practical uses

these mecha were design to battle other machines for sport..

the concept is there it just needs to be improved for other applications . Well if u have the money and time that is
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Too bad, I was hoping this idea might gain momentum. And this, boys and girls, is why Gundam is a dumb idea...

For now.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Hikifroggy wrote:

In the lumber industry there are already machines that look like battle mechs. Think articulating arms with pincher fingers and chainsaws as thumbs.

Looking at the video however, the mech they are selling doesn't look like it could be repurposed for anything.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Hikifroggy wrote:

In the lumber industry there are already machines that look like battle mechs. Think articulating arms with pincher fingers and chainsaws as thumbs.

Looking at the video however, the mech they are selling doesn't look like it could be repurposed for anything.

Engineers for other industries have spent decades and millions of dollars in developing newer and more-efficient tech for those respective industries. Sad truth is, bipedal mechs are less-efficient than current tech for those industries.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Not a big surprise. Even if the fight with Kuratas wasn't totally lame*, I'm not sure there would've been enough of a stream of regular competition to sustain interest anyway.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

And to add: a big problem with this style of "Robot combat" is safety. Because there's a human pilot involved the safety concerns will make it a lot less entertaining to watch. And even if the robots were operated entirely by remote control thereby keeping the pilots safe, there is no real way to make the event safe for an audience to watch. There's no way you could have any sort of projectile weapons, and even physical "hand to hand" combat would be severely hampered by safety concerns. You either have to restrict what the robots can do so much that it's boring to watch, or you have to put so many physical barriers in place that the audience can't really see the action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1