• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Anime Opening Songs of Summer 2019

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scowler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Best openers:

Carol and Tuesday
Vinland Saga
O Maidens in Your Savage Season
El Melloi II's Case Files
Fire Force
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that I'm quite disappointed not to see Onegai Muscle from How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? not on this list. I was in Japan in August and heard that song in almost every anime shop I visited.[/spoiler]
Telu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Now i want 5 best endings of summer.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll let Gurenge slide because, despite being a Spring opening, it did air all through the summer too.

Anyway, my #1 is Fire Force's opening, "Inferno" by Mrs. GREEN APPLE.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
if metanoia hadn't of been there I would've complained
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I mean I can get why apparently everyone who work at ANN hates fire force.
But can we not pretend it isn't deserving of the top spot let alone placement on the list. The opening for fire force does absolutely nothing wrong unlike the show so it deserves the top spot over an op not from this season (I get it you weren't able to the list last season but still).
I also feel like dumbbell actually deserves some praise as a workout anime song
CodeAlpha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It feels very strange not to see Fire Force's opening on here. Is it just because of the hate train on the show?
Automatix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Does ANN have an agenda against Fire Force or something? Super childish if you ask me. Anyway, I barely see anyone mention Dr. Stone's opening, people usually rave about the ED. And Gurenge is straight up from Spring, so you're cheating there.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Only summer? That's awfully narrow. My favorite OP for 2019 is shadowgraph by MYTH & ROID from Boogiepop wa Wararanai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBbWSxqJSOI
q_3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Wasteful Days of High School Girls had a great OP, especially paired with its visuals.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Symphogear XV's 'Metanoia' is a fantastic song and when it kicked in the final ep it was the sickest. I just wish the OP it was attached to wasn't the worst of the series. The visuals are the most boring and I'd rather just skip it.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Since I also consider "Gurenge" (which I love) a Spring season OP, I'm going with Cop Craft's "Rakuen Toshi" by Masayoshi Oishi as my favorite opening theme of the Summer 2019 season. Catchy melody, Latin-flavored arrangements, spot-on vocals and unintentionally funny mispronunciations of the word "city". What's not to love?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Automatix wrote:
Does ANN have an agenda against Fire Force or something? Super childish if you ask me. Anyway, I barely see anyone mention Dr. Stone's opening, people usually rave about the ED. And Gurenge is straight up from Spring, so you're cheating there.

Oh, come off it, people. Just because Jacki didn't include FF's opener on her list means that's further evidence of an agenda against the series? Really, we're stooping that low for affirmations of persecution complex?

I went back and watched FF's opener before typing this just to make sure I wasn't misremembering it. Sure, the animation on it is great, but in terms of the song and the way it's put together it isn't anything spectacular. It certainly didn't beat out "Gurenge" (one of my top competitors for Opener of the Year so far) or "Uchu no Kioku" for BEM. And I haven't seen any of FF beyond episode 1 so I don't know enough about the controversy concerning it to be biased against it.

yuna49 wrote:
Only summer? That's awfully narrow. My favorite OP for 2019 is shadowgraph by MYTH & ROID from Boogiepop wa Wararanai:

A solid choice, but if we're going to talk about MYTH&ROID themes this year then I'd go with the brand-new "Tit for Tat" from Cautious Hero instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Automatix wrote:

Oh, come off it, people. Just because Jacki didn't include FF's opener on her list means that's further evidence of an agenda against the series? Really, we're stooping that low for affirmations of persecution complex?

I went back and watched FF's opener before typing this just to make sure I wasn't misremembering it. Sure, the animation on it is great, but in terms of the song and the way it's put together it isn't anything spectacular. It certainly didn't beat out "Gurenge" (one of my top competitors for Opener of the Year so far) or "Uchu no Kioku" for BEM. And I haven't seen any of FF beyond episode 1 so I don't know enough about the controversy concerning it to be biased against it.

Nope, sorry, the song itself is melodically and lyrically incredible and the fact that it's not included is definitely proof of a conspiracy.

Nah, I love that song to death and it's my favorite of the season (while I hate the Vinland Saga's early-00's screamo sound) but you know, sometimes it's just a difference of opinion.
Automatix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Automatix wrote:

yuna49 wrote:

A solid choice, but if we're going to talk about MYTH&ROID themes this year then I'd go with the brand-new "Tit for Tat" from Cautious Hero instead.

I mean does it matter how it was put together since we are talking about the music only? If anything else mattered the Dr. Stone OP wouldn't even be on the list due to its direction and lack of animation. I understand for these lists one just picks the OP from shows they like, instead of basing it on the quality of the openings themselves anyways. I for one didn't like Gurenge and skipped it everytime. (one of Lisa's worst songs imo) I'm glad you enjoyed it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3