• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Carole & Tuesday Anime's 2nd Half Debuts on Netflix Worldwide on December 24

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docsane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
Right wing outrage to debut on Twitter on December 25th.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
docsane wrote:
Right wing outrage to debut on Twitter on December 25th.

Doesn't that kind of require people to actually be watching this show to begin with?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Must suck to watch this legally.

Christmas Eve is probably the perfect date for me to forget this ever existed.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
It's truly perplexing that Netflix US still doesn't understand that this isn't the way to stream anime.

Seems weird to spend money on exclusive streaming rights for widely available content, and then just sit on it for a month or two.

Oh well, hopefully they'll learn one day.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
It's truly perplexing that Netflix US still doesn't understand that this isn't the way to stream anime.

Seems weird to spend money on exclusive streaming rights for widely available content, and then just sit on it for a month or two.

Oh well, hopefully they'll learn one day.

That's the way Americans watch shows now. Statistically it's been proven to be more beneficial and profitable than weekly airings. Binging builds up hype and has a higher retention rate than weekly viewings do which can easily lose viewers as people forget and do other stuff. In Japan, they still prefer weekly as that's how Netflix does it in Japan. There's also the argument this show isn't really made for regular anime fans so much as it is a general American audience. Given the themes and subject matter of the show and overall lack of interest in the series from the core anime discussion spheres I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
A fantastic show! I can hardly wait for the rest of the dub!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

That's the way Americans watch shows now. Statistically it's been proven to be more beneficial and profitable than weekly airings. Binging builds up hype and has a higher retention rate than weekly viewings do which can easily lose viewers as people forget and do other stuff.

While there's certainly truth to what you're saying, I don't think this is 100% true. Definitely with their original content like Devilman Crybaby or Aggretsuko. Those did well because it was all available simultaneously worldwide without there being a weekly airing, that's fantastic. I'm sure re-licensed shows like NGE and Your Lie in April do fine because they decided to stream the content way after the fact of them airing... all of it available, all at once.

I can't say for certain because Netflix doesn't release their streaming numbers but...
As far as their exclusive televised licenses for anime content, nearly every show they license has probably been a colossal failure. Ajin, Sirius the Jaeger, Back Street Girls, Dragon Pilot, Hi Score Girl, Kakagurei, Children of the Whales, Forest of Piano, Knights of Sidonia. Violet Evergarden MIGHT be an outlier, but literally every one of those series were dropped way too late to gain any traction with the crowd they're aimed at (seasonal anime fans).

Hell, Netflix declined to renew their license on Little Witch Academia, probably because it did so poorly. It's leaving Netflix this month.

There's a lot of unknowns here, cause it's hard to say whether any of those series would have done gangbusters on other platforms like Crunchyroll or Funimation or HIDIVE or
even Amazon Prime. But I know for a fact that all the titles I've listed rarely get brought up in online conversations, and it's not always because the content was bad. That gets objective, sure. But you can't deny that there's almost no online presence for most of those shows, while things that get picked up by Crunchyroll and show weekly are nearly always the talk of the town.

I don't really buy that Carole and Tuesday isn't for anime fans. I can feel very confident that if people watched it weekly, it'd be way more popular than it is now. Probably in a similar way that Yuri on Ice got popular. If I had to guess, a lot of news outlets like ANN probably can't report weekly on content like Carole and Tuesday because the content's not all legally available to advertise yet.

And as far as online forum discussions, I think it's 1 part that discussing what's airing is tantamount to admitting you're pirating it, and 1 part the simple fact that pirating content is not nearly as convenient as just keeping up with what's new on Crunchyroll or Funimation's apps.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
That's the way Americans watch shows now. Statistically it's been proven to be more beneficial and profitable than weekly airings. Binging builds up hype and has a higher retention rate than weekly viewings do which can easily lose viewers as people forget and do other stuff. In Japan, they still prefer weekly as that's how Netflix does it in Japan. There's also the argument this show isn't really made for regular anime fans so much as it is a general American audience. Given the themes and subject matter of the show and overall lack of interest in the series from the core anime discussion spheres I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

It might work for other series but it definitely isn't working for anime. When Netflix gets streaming rights for something, it's pretty much a death sentence for western communities.
It misses out on MONTHS of discussion, then gets dumped all at once, maaaaybe gets extensively discussed for a couple days (anime episodes being comparatively shorter also means people go through them and move on faster) and after that it burns out never to be mentioned again.

In the case of Carole&Tuesday it hurts twofold. First because the first half is extremely episodic to the point the Mars Brightest arc is a weekly show where each episode happens on a different week. It was not meant to be watched all at once.
Secondly because it's putting four months between the two halves of one continuous show. While the first half cut-off at the end of an arc it isn't a clean cut as the serie continues assuming the latest events are still fresh in your mind. And to make it worse its one chance at being the daily topic and gaining some traction by realeasing on CHRISTMAS EVE.

I have no doubt that Carole&Tuesday (and many other shows) would be WAY more popular had been it allowed the exposure weekly shows get. All I've seen about it from the English-speaking world comes from either those who watched fansubs or sterile notes acknowledging that it exists and has been dumped on Netflix.
Even Maou-sama Retry generated more buzz.

Carole&Tuesday started airing in spring where it had very little competition. Any show that looked THIS good, that was this decent overall and that aired in such a season would be really popular... if it were allowed to actually air.

P.S: Violet Evergarden is probably popular because it's KyoAni, which far trascends anime fandom, and because it looks just that gorgeous. In fact I'm surprised that Trigger's LWA could do poorly, since there are audiences that don't watch anime often but that will eat up anything that studio offers without a second thought.

Animegunclub wrote:
and 1 part the simple fact that pirating content is not nearly as convenient as just keeping up with what's new on Crunchyroll or Funimation's apps.

I never even considered that... funnily, for me it's way easier to pirate than to use the apps/web (and sometimes I'll do both for the same show) spoiler[assuming my country even gets the show legally at all]
Moontei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind when Netflix releases the whole show at once as long as it's actually an exclusive (Devilman Crybaby, Violet Evergarden, etc.). But the way they treat US anime fans like 2nd class citizens by doing this while clearly being able to simulcast it is ridiculous.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I just don't understand why they're dumping the second half on Christmas Eve. I guess it's a good alternative for anyone who doesn't celebrate the holiday but it seems like most people would be with their families or on a road trip then to be home watching it.

Quote:
Hell, Netflix declined to renew their license on Little Witch Academia, probably because it did so poorly. It's leaving Netflix this month.
As far as I'm aware, it's only the movies expiring which Netflix had no real involvement with. But I wouldn't be surprised if the TV show eventually expires too. I don't think these shows expiring says anything about their popularity or quality but it says more about how Netflix only views anime as a passing fad and not something they're actually committed to supporting.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Would it be fair to say that Netflix is not aiming these shows at Anime fans, but instead some other audience?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Would it be fair to say that Netflix is not aiming these shows at Anime fans, but instead some other audience?

It is fair, but also stupid. Like McDonalds aiming their latest burger to vegans.

Releasing anything that isn't a Christmas movie on Christmas Eve is stupid no matter the kind of show though.
DeviousDybbuk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I love how charming this show is ❤️
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I love this show to pieces and will watch it whenever it comes to Netflix.

That said, the other hand is clenched in a fist at having to wait another two and a half months for the rest of the show to come out. The songs aren't being altered for the alternate language dubs, right? Why would it take more than three months to release the remaining three months of episodes, particularly when other week-to-week shows have their own localizations ready by airtime?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
LoopyChew wrote:
On the one hand, I love this show to pieces and will watch it whenever it comes to Netflix.

That said, the other hand is clenched in a fist at having to wait another two and a half months for the rest of the show to come out. The songs aren't being altered for the alternate language dubs, right? Why would it take more than three months to release the remaining three months of episodes, particularly when other week-to-week shows have their own localizations ready by airtime?

All songs in the show are indeed English. Unless they're dubbing it to French or some such, it's just Netflix being Netflix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2