• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: GKIDS: [We] Nor Studio Ghibli Were Contacted by Polygon on Streaming Plans Article

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jex2193

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This just keeps getting better
Freyanne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
A part of me is wondering if the Studio Ghibli streaming announcement happened because of the Polygon article( as in they weren't going to announce it so soon, but Polygon caused them to reveal it early). Because it'd be too much of a coincidence to announce it two days later, lol.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Polygon might need to show their Sent Box to protect their journalistic integrity here. Either they're lying about contacting GKIDS, or GKIDS is lying about NOT being contacted. One of them is being really awful to readers/customers by lying about this. Odd that a statement "from 2018" was never published anywhere until the other day. It really does feel like very odd timing to announce the HBO deal.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to assume the benefit of the doubt that maybe Polygon contacted them but GKids couldn’t tell them until the deal was finalized but they didn’t even do that and just used an outdated tweet as their source.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on Polygon when they ran a blatant smear campaign against the Nintendo Switch before its launch. It's just bad journalism at its finest. That's why I respect ANN so much. They actually have the journalistic integrity to check their sources and make proper corrections when necessary.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Today was a fascinating look at how quickly misinformation can spread on the Internet because of one website.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Today was a fascinating look at how quickly misinformation can spread on the Internet because of one website.

Yeah, and usually Polygon is on the ball. The writer is certainly going to get an earful over the next few days.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 am Reply with quote
And that's why you should never use Polygon as a news source.
chronium

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:24 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
A part of me is wondering if the Studio Ghibli streaming announcement happened because of the Polygon article( as in they weren't going to announce it so soon, but Polygon caused them to reveal it early). Because it'd be too much of a coincidence to announce it two days later, lol.

It's doubtful contracts take a while to iron out especially if there was a bidding war as well. Also since HBO Max launches in 2020 there is no reason for them to rush a announcement.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to [Gkids's] official Twitter account, they were not contacted for the article and the statement that served as the basis for the claim that the films will not come to streaming services is dated to 2018.[...]Polygon's article included the statement "GKids was unable to provide a comment from a Studio Ghibli representation for further clarification or additional updates on deals in progress." According to GKids, they were not contacted in the last week for the Polygon piece.

Wow, way to go, Polygon! Professional journalism at its best! Rolling Eyes
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:

The timing is interesting, at least. It would be odd to publish an article about about a statement from a year ago since it would otherwise amount to old news that wasn't going to get much reaction other than people shrugging and saying, "ok." I'm not sure that the HBO announcement would have gotten all that much attention either, but the way things played out ended up generating its own buzz.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
I have seen discussion about whether this was part of an advertising campaign but that seems unlikely since it makes Polygon look incompetent. Polygon releases an article based on old comments and doesn't contact anyone, HBO Max announces the Ghibli streaming deal two days later, Polygon knows they messed up so they change the article to say that there was no comment from Gkids, and Gkids comes out with a response stating that no one from Polygon tried to contact them. I think the anti-Ghibli spin of the Polygon article caused HBO Max to release the announcement a bit earlier than they were planning.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I gave up on Polygon when they ran a blatant smear campaign against the Nintendo Switch before its launch. It's just bad journalism at its finest. That's why I respect ANN so much. They actually have the journalistic integrity to check their sources and make proper corrections when necessary.

It is also great that most of the ANN articles tend "Press Release" or "E-mail Exchange" or cite the links that they got their info from at the end of each article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1