• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sol Press Licenses Chivalry of a Failed Knight Light Novel Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgun97

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy about this, but damn, I believe I'm almost done with volume 3 and the next couple of volumes have already been translated by fan groups. Now that this series has been licensed, fan translation groups are going to have to pull everything down then we're gonna have to wait for the licensed volumes to come out.

I like it when series get licensed but I hate it when it's done late into the game where many volumes are out and have been translated by other groups. Messes everything up when you're a good bit in with a series. This is why I hope High School DxD doesn't get licensed despite wanting to support the creator more. So many volumes are out so waiting for the licensed versions to be released will take a long ass time.

Well, I'm going to get the PDFs for the remaining volumes for Rakudai before it gets taken down.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow after such a long time they should have done this after the anime finished or so, rly loved the anime and wished it had few more seasons cant believe it already has so many volumes think the anime covered like 3 or 4 only :O

Welp cant wait for the release will probably buy since there isnt much hope for 2nd season etc...and really wanna see how the story develops since the manga was axed aswell -_-
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I'll have to pick these up when I get the chance.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
My goodness, this one really should have been licensed 4 years ago, the 2015 fall anime only covers vol 1-3, the manga adaptation covers 1-4 (vol 4 is the transitional volume and beginning of arc 2, vol 4-9) , now Japan already has 16 volumes available, quite a long way to catch up.

Oh well, I will preorder it when it becomes available, given how great the LN’s writing when comes to describing battle scenes (you can literally picture them vividly in your mind)
Kanpai!Drink-it-dry!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This is unexpected. I thought Seven Seas would licence this novel at some point but.......... really Sol Press? A LN publisher that exists for only 2 years (and only a handful of licenses)? I am sure Rakudai is the most requested LN of the monthly surveys of Seven Seas and they still didn't license it. I thought that maybe the licensing fee is too expensive at the moment but now Sol Press got it. Seven Seas lost all their credibility as a publisher who considers the opinions of their readers. I will gladly buy the LN from Sol Press and support them.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Kanpai!Drink-it-dry! wrote:
I am sure Rakudai is the most requested LN of the monthly surveys of Seven Seas and they still didn't license it. I thought that maybe the licensing fee is too expensive at the moment but now Sol Press got it. Seven Seas lost all their credibility as a publisher who considers the opinions of their readers. I will gladly buy the LN from Sol Press and support them.

It's always possible Sol Press has had the license for a while and sat on it, which explains why they're launching with 3 volumes at once. Considering the speed of their other light novels (i.e. a speed of approximately 0), this is what makes the most sense to me. The other explanation is they pulled all resources out of their other LN titles in order get these 3 volumes up faster, which makes even less sense, I'd think.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
One of the most requested light novel got licensed by modern-day Tokyopop. This sucks. The physical books they’ve actually published are only sold on amazon (no bookstores or Rightstuf), and they're in a constant state of “ships in 1-3 months” or unavailable entirely. (Also $10 per ebook is really not a good price for light novels, though Seven Seas is also guilty of that). Not to mention they release 1 volume for each series they have the rights to each year, which makes even Yen Press look fast.

We’ll see how they treat this series, but I’m not optimistic.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I shouldn't have lost hope and catching up with the fantrad Crying or Very sad Time to reread i guess.

myskaros wrote:
The other explanation is they pulled all resources out of their other LN titles in order get these 3 volumes up faster, which makes even less sense, I'd think.

That's what i'm thinking too, i'm glad they are licensing more novel ( even more for the very requested like this one )but i fear they won't be able to catch up as fast as other publishers could have, i hope i will be wrong.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I loved the anime, so I will definitely support an official release and the chance to catch up to the series' story with the novels Smile.
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
I liked the series for several reasons but probably above all else was the simple fact that the male MC was in a committed relationship with one of the girls from his somewhat harem and it wasn't established during the second to last episode. So, I will definitely support this and look forward to experiencing how the light novel reads.
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:19 am Reply with quote
season 2 when
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:24 am Reply with quote
At least the Rakudai Wiki site has extremely detailed LN vol. summaries.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Well, whoever Sol Press are, they'll have some of my money. Have always put on the SevenSeas survey for this to be picked up. Laughing

But, like another poster said, Sol Press is likely to have had the license for awhile now, seeing as they're getting 3 volumes out super fast.

Also, we sure this is coming out in print on November 16? Super surprising that this would be the case...seeing as that's only 12 days away and no place online seems to have it up for order...
Acrylic6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
As much as I am happy with this licensed, I prefer they make new season for the anime. But one can hope though.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Also, we sure this is coming out in print on November 16? Super surprising that this would be the case...seeing as that's only 12 days away and no place online seems to have it up for order...

I believe November 16 is the ebook, and paper books will eventually come out later. Not to mention, they don’t sell books anywhere other than Amazon and their own store (and some stuff is exclusive to their store.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2