• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Khara Distances Itself From Gainax After Studio Representative Director's Arrest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TD912

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like Gainax is basically a shell of its former self, existing only in name. I haven't heard them making anime in a while either. Also, since when has Gainax tried to get into seiyuu training?

EDIT: Apparently ANN wrote about what Gainax has been up to last year: https://animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-03-09/the-indestructible-studio-gainax-part-iv/.128782
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
It sounds like Gainax is basically a shell of its former self, existing only in name. I haven't heard them making anime in a while either. Also, since when has Gainax tried to get into seiyuu training?

EDIT: Apparently ANN wrote about what Gainax has been up to last year: https://animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-03-09/the-indestructible-studio-gainax-part-iv/.128782

Basically everyone who made Gainax what it was moved to form Trigger, so that's a fair assessment of the studio.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I'm kind of tired of seeing "Gainax -> Trigger" since Trigger has relatively little of what I liked about Gainax. I guess it makes sense to people who associate Gainax with PSG and TTGL, but like, that's just Imaishi. He's good too, but not classic Gainax like Anno, Tsurumaki, Enokido, Yamaga, etc.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
I dunno, I'm kind of tired of seeing "Gainax -> Trigger" since Trigger has relatively little of what I liked about Gainax. I guess it makes sense to people who associate Gainax with PSG and TTGL, but like, that's just Imaishi. He's good too, but not classic Gainax like Anno, Tsurumaki, Enokido, Yamaga, etc.

Yeah, a lot of times Khara gets left out of the equation when discussing Gainax's current state. Khara broke off, then Trigger took a lot of the remaing staff as I understand it. I think Trrigger gets brought up so often because its works tend to evoke that "You Gotta Have Guts!!" feeling that was part of Gunbuster's legacy.

This scandal makes me very sad on a week already full of bad news. Especially since Khara is now just trying to tear Evangelion away from its roots (which I doubt it will ever be able to do.)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Sure didn't take them long to cut that cord, Laughing

Cold.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
At this point the only thing Gainax has that people want is the Panty and Stocking IP.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
At this point the only thing Gainax has that people want is the Panty and Stocking IP.

The P&S that people want is the one that have Imaishi, and he already moved to Trigger.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Well Evangelion 3.0+1.0, it's been a hell of a ride, but I guess it's time for your ship to sail...

Eh, probably not.

gpanthony wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Yeah, a lot of times Khara gets left out of the equation when discussing Gainax's current state. Khara broke off, then Trigger took a lot of the remaing staff as I understand it. I think Trrigger gets brought up so often because its works tend to evoke that "You Gotta Have Guts!!" feeling that was part of Gunbuster's legacy.

This scandal makes me very sad on a week already full of bad news. Especially since Khara is now just trying to tear Evangelion away from its roots (which I doubt it will ever be able to do.)

I think the real reason as to why Trigger is usually labeled as Gainax's successor is because it has had WAY more output than Khara. Khara's only notable work is the Evangelion films, whereas Trigger has cemented itself with tons of IPs (Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia, Promare, etc.). I will say two things though. First, each studio is very much like two sides of the same Gainax coin, with Khara being the mainly calm, thought-provoking side seen in Evangelion, Nadia, and His & Her Circumstances; and Trigger being the bombastic, zany side seen in Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking, and FLCL (both being due to the respective creative staff that departed). Second, despite this latter reputation, Trigger has at least tried to diversify, with their smaller avant garde (yet still zany) shows like Luluco, Inferno Cop, and Ninja Slayer, as well as their more emotionally-grounded A-1 collaborations Kiznaiver and Darling in the Franxx.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:19 am Reply with quote
I honestly think FLCL (and Gun/Diebuster for that matter) are more similar to Evangelion + co. than to Imaishi works.

Not to suggest that Imaishi's works don't have meaning or he doesn't have a point, but I don't think it would be controversial to suggest that his directed works use their style for totally different reasons than FLCL.

Also maybe worth mentioning that Yamaga still wants to do Aim for the Top 3 and Uru in Blue at Gaina. Even more than Khara, Gaina hasn't really done anything yet, but that's another important Gainax creative pillar who isn't at Trigger - or Khara.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Yeah, a lot of times Khara gets left out of the equation when discussing Gainax's current state. Khara broke off, then Trigger took a lot of the remaing staff as I understand it.

Didn't a decent portion also go to A-1 Pictures? I was thinking they were the ones who spearheaded Darling in the FRANXX.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1