• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul Film Reveals 4 Tie-In Film Shorts, Theme Song Artists

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote
Yes! I'm excited to hear that the "Marulk's Everyday Life" shorts were more than just a joke and will actually be made!
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks premiered the second film in Rosemont, Illinois on May 17, before it opened in theaters in the United States on May 27.

So where is it already? Why isn't it streaming on Amazon?

I hate this trend of continuing series through theatrical movies. We almost never see these films in the US.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks premiered the second film in Rosemont, Illinois on May 17, before it opened in theaters in the United States on May 27.

I hate this trend of continuing series through theatrical movies. We almost never see these films in the US.

I couldn't tell you where to find it, but just in case it wasn't clear the "2nd film" in this case is simply a compilation movie. It's the 3rd film which will continue the story, and it's not out yet.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
That's good to hear. I wondered if it was a compilation. Now let's see what happens with the actual continuation.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
That's good to hear. I wondered if it was a compilation. Now let's see what happens with the actual continuation.

Yeah, the first two movies are straight-up recaps of the TV. And as far as I understand it they don't really have any new scenes or animation improvements the way that sometimes happens with recap movies. (If I got that wrong hopefully someone will correct me!) The 3rd movie, Dawn of the Dark Soul, is entirely new and continues the story.

Having read the manga, the story starts getting a lot more dark and less TV-friendly so I'm guessing that's why they decided to make the next arc a movie instead of TV.

I'm curious where things are going to go from here. So far the anime has been very successful and I'm guessing the 3rd movie probably will be too. But even back when they announced the 3rd movie there was already enough manga for the next arc and then some to be animated; now it's been about a year since I've read the manga so I'm sure there's even more out now. It will be interesting to see if it keeps going. Made in Abyss is one of those rare anime where I really care about the destination as much as the journey.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Yeah, the first two movies are straight-up recaps of the TV. And as far as I understand it they don't really have any new scenes or animation improvements the way that sometimes happens with recap movies. (If I got that wrong hopefully someone will correct me!) The 3rd movie, Dawn of the Dark Soul, is entirely new and continues the story.

I've watched first 2 movies at theater and they do have new scenes. So it's not like they made recap movies to fool the audience. If anime producers have been making recap movies without new scenes or improvements, then even Japanese fan would not give a second thought about paying money to watch those movies.

Plus, recap movies are quick and convenient way to introduce the show to people who are not familiar with the show and don't have much time on their hand.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

The first two movies were licensed by Sentai and had a limited run in US theaters earlier this year. I wouldn’t expect the movies to be on Amazon after Anime Strike ended and the show is streaming on HiDive now in addition to Amazon. Since the first two movies are compilation films, I imagine Sentai will probably release them in a boxset in the future like Funimation did with the Free compilation films. If you can’t wait for the movies, the English release of the manga has already passed the point where the first season left off.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

I've watched first 2 movies at theater and they do have new scenes.

Thanks for correcting me, and I'm glad to hear there is some new content. I haven't seen the compilation films, and when last I was talking with someone who had seen them they told me that some scenes had been cut (mainly spoiler[those referring to the birthday deaths]), but didn't mention anything new. Can you describe what the new scenes are, or maybe point me to somewhere that discusses it? I'm curious to know if the new scenes are plot-related or if it's just animation tweaks.

Quote:
Plus, recap movies are quick and convenient way to introduce the show to people who are not familiar with the show and don't have much time on their hand.

Oh, absolutely. I hope I didn't come across as trying to put down the movies, I was just trying to describe what they were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1