• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yaoi Manga Under One Roof With the Beast, The Rising of the Shield Hero Top Bookwalker Glo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like we need a yaoi isekai
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

There probably is one, just not enough coverage
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
harminia wrote:

Oh, I don't doubt there is one. I know of a vaguely BL one.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
If only The Rising of the Shield Hero was a yaoi/bara. Twisted Evil
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Is anybody else surprised to see the isekai with a mom outrank Goblin Slayer?
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The most impressive thing about #1 is not that its a single volume BL manga but that it was published 2 years ago.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:
The most impressive thing about #1 is not that its a single volume BL manga but that it was published 2 years ago.

That makes me wonder about the ebook sales for the Bookwalker website since that sounds like something that would happen if their website had low sale numbers. Several of the series on the top 50 list are huge hits in Japan with hundreds of thousands to millions of volumes sold so the Bookwalker website having low sales would explain how a 2017 BL title was their top seller for 2019. I remember checking the Bookwalker website and was surprised that they didn't have support for the epub format meaning the ebooks they sell aren't compatible with ereaders.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:37 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
HAL14 wrote:
harminia wrote:

Naono Bohra has written a couple, like Trip Lovers, and Tanaka Suzuki's Muchuu no Hito is kinda isekai (if you count dream worlds), that's all I can think of atm.

But yeah, we definitely need more. I've developed a strong penchant for 'otherworldly' settings in BL.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
harminia wrote:
HAL14 wrote:
harminia wrote:

Naono Bohra has written a couple, like Trip Lovers, and Tanaka Suzuki's Muchuu no Hito is kinda isekai (if you count dream worlds), that's all I can think of atm.

But yeah, we definitely need more. I've developed a strong penchant for 'otherworldly' settings in BL.

Is there anything licensed/translated in English?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Samiamiam wrote:

That makes me wonder about the ebook sales for the Bookwalker website since that sounds like something that would happen if their website had low sale numbers. Several of the series on the top 50 list are huge hits in Japan with hundreds of thousands to millions of volumes sold so the Bookwalker website having low sales would explain how a 2017 BL title was their top seller for 2019. I remember checking the Bookwalker website and was surprised that they didn't have support for the epub format meaning the ebooks they sell aren't compatible with ereaders.

This isn't it. I asked around on Twitter mainly and this BL manga got a huge ad push this year with a tie-in voice drama (in English). It really just sold that much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
This isn't it. I asked around on Twitter mainly and this BL manga got a huge ad push this year with a tie-in voice drama (in English). It really just sold that much.

I could see a voice drama campaign getting tens of thousands of new sales for a one volume BL manga from 2017 but a few of those series in the 2019 top 50 list sell in the millions. I think that indicates low sales for the Bookwalker website.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Bookwalker is just selling e-books but they're owned by Kadokawa, the largest publisher of light novels and manga. There aren't low sales on the site, yaoi is just actually that popular. If you want to disregard it, that's your prerogative but the evidence doesn't support it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree with octopodpie. BL is just THAT popular these days.

BL in Japan has become increasingly popular especially during the past few years. Japanese women are more open about their love for BL nowadays. I also noticed that Yuri On Ice made a big impact on the genre as well. Things started moving REALLY QUICKLY after YOI's immense popularity.

There's a lot of demand for this market. Notice how there's around 6 to 7 new BL anime being produced in 2020? In the past, you're lucky to get ONE OVA with super low budget. Nowadays, you see the anime industry investing heavily into the genre. They know it sells.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:
I agree with octopodpie. BL is just THAT popular these days.

BL in Japan has become increasingly popular especially during the past few years. Japanese women are more open about their love for BL nowadays. I also noticed that Yuri On Ice made a big impact on the genre as well. Things started moving REALLY QUICKLY after YOI's immense popularity.

There's a lot of demand for this market. Notice how there's around 6 to 7 new BL anime being produced in 2020? In the past, you're lucky to get ONE OVA with super low budget. Nowadays, you see the anime industry investing heavily into the genre. They know it sells.

6-7? I know about Given, Saezuru and Etranger but what are the others?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:09 am Reply with quote
YAY No it is just that popular. That said I was expecting something like ten count or an established series to be that title.

But you are all forgeting one important thing. erotica sells WAY BETTER digitally. I am not saying yaoi = Erotica but the same principle applies. It's cheaper (generally), more easily accessible and concealable.

I mean just look at the other lesser known titles Kiss me master, jk haru, daddys boyfriend, arifurta, not to summon demon lord, public sex, domestic girlfriend etc

That said I still can't say that high erotica sales is a good indication of health for a service. quintessential quantruplets has a fan base but.. it's really not that big, same for bookworm. To me it comes across as huge promotional items sell on the site only because you paid a lot of youtubers to promote a series sale for a currently airing anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2