Forum - View topic
BEASTARS Anime Premieres on Netflix Outside of Japan on March 13


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TichoSlicer



Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 116
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Somone should force netflix to stop doing this s***... ;/ But, oh well, i guess we are just f...

Last edited by TichoSlicer on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#894822



Joined: 08 Apr 2019
Posts: 75
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Not good enough. I’ve only got one episode left and I’m not waiting until March to watch it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jellybeanbandit



Joined: 18 Jun 2019
Posts: 58
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
Somone should force netflix to stop doing this s***... ;/ But, oh well, i guess we are just f...


They'd stop if it was costing them money, but it's clearly working just fine for them. Most Americans would rather binge than watch week by week
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragon695



Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 1143
Location: Clemson, SC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
It’s Legoshi/Legosi, not Regoshi. I understand it’s Japanese, but...

Edit: Look on Viz’s website where they have the summary for the English translations of this manga, where it says his name.

Edit2:
Here is one of the stores for the serial publisher that have goods with English names:
https://mobile.twitter.com/akita_store/status/1193862323405873152
Here is another set of goods with his name in English:
https://mobile.twitter.com/fancy_fukuya/status/1195282260146057216
Lastly, here is the Mangaka herself tweeting a picture of a bag with his name in English:
https://mobile.twitter.com/itaparu99/status/1194631500974583811

Could this be corrected in the encyclopedia and articles?

Edit3:
I went ahead and filed an error report with the form on the encyclopedia. Thanks for the article update!


Last edited by dragon695 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4482
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
TichoSlicer wrote:
Somone should force netflix to stop doing this s***... ;/ But, oh well, i guess we are just f...


They'd stop if it was costing them money, but it's clearly working just fine for them. Most Americans would rather binge than watch week by week

Don't blame Americans for Netflix's binge watch model. They are forcing that into us whether we want it or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Animegunclub



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 91
Location: AyeTeeEl, Jawhjah
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, once piracy of their shows finally starts to dip into their licensed anime viewership, they'll do one of two things:

Best case scenario, they cave and do weekly simulcasts outside of Japan.
Worst case scenario, they stop licensing TV anime for distribution outside of Japan.

Either way, that's a win for us simulcast folks.
Cause what Netflix won't license, someone who does simulcast will.

So keep on keeping on folks~ Wink


Last edited by Animegunclub on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NeganTheWise



Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Location: England
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
They released violet evergarden on a weekly basis so they've tried a weekly model already, must've not worked. its not like a whole show being available at once inherently means you MUST binge watch it anyway, Clearly its more financially viable to dump it all at once outside of japan (where they do air weekly on Netflix) and has been for a good couple years now. Different business models for different companies, but maybe the success of weekly streamed shows like the mandalorian and such could tempt them to re look at releasing weekly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sobe



Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 818
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious how the English version will sound ESPECIALLY Jack's spoiler[little dance] and Haru's spoiler[closed-door bedroom moments at the gardening club and the love hotel.] I'm expecting a few cringy English lines to be honest even if it's Netflix we're talking about.

Chikahiro Kobayashi is an absolutely great voice actor when it comes to masculine male characters. His voice fits Legosi perfectly and all of the tiny nuances with his voice acting just added so much to Legosi. Sugimoto (Golden Kamuy) is voiced perfectly by him as well. Unfortunately the English version of Sugimoto voiced by Ian Sinclair wasn't really that good in my opinion. That's not to say Ian Sinclair is a bad voice actor (he's quite the opposite), it's just that Mr. Sinclair's vocal range doesn't really fit Sugimoto.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RealMTL



Joined: 09 Jun 2018
Posts: 83
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:55 pm Reply with quote
It's like they intentionally try to kill all hype for their series at Netflix. I'm glad it's coming out but I think the wait really hurt the shows popularity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luisedgarf



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Posts: 440
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I would be really surprised, at least in the Latin American Spanish dub, if many of the voice actors who worked in the dub of Zootopia worked in the dub of this series, mainly Rene Garcia, who voiced Nick, and Romina Marroquin Payro (Judy).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AngkorWhat



Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I really like Netflix for releasing anime series all at once, rather than weekly, as I like to binge watch them. Glad I have waited to binge this series as well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 2185
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
NeganTheWise wrote:
They released violet evergarden on a weekly basis so they've tried a weekly model already, must've not worked. its not like a whole show being available at once inherently means you MUST binge watch it anyway, Clearly its more financially viable to dump it all at once outside of japan (where they do air weekly on Netflix) and has been for a good couple years now. Different business models for different companies, but maybe the success of weekly streamed shows like the mandalorian and such could tempt them to re look at releasing weekly.
They only released Violet Evergarden weekly in the UK. The US still had to wait for it to come out all at once. On the other hand, Netflix has seemingly no issue streaming their anime weekly in Japan. It’s only outside Japan that they insist on the binge watch model. Which makes me wonder if this is something that’s being insisted upon by the Japanese licensors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sailor Sedna



Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 840
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Alright, an assistant director from Ghibli is directing this? Now I'm even more interested in seeing it. It's also one of the only few Netflix stuff I'd watch (call me old-school, but I don't get this whole modern streaming appeal).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 653
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It’s only outside Japan that they insist on the binge watch model. Which makes me wonder if this is something that’s being insisted upon by the Japanese licensors.


Doubtful - Violet Evergarden's Non-US simulcast seems to have mostly been thanks to pressure from the production committee (I guess the couldn't get them to budge on the US) and multiple creators for series have expressed frustration or surprise at Netflix not releasing series abroad when they air. Heck Beastars' mangaka first found out publicly, through twitter, that Netflix wasn't streaming the series outside of Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnowWarren



Joined: 29 May 2014
Posts: 211
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:12 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
I'm curious how the English version will sound ESPECIALLY Jack's spoiler[little dance] and Haru's spoiler[closed-door bedroom moments at the gardening club and the love hotel.] I'm expecting a few cringy English lines to be honest even if it's Netflix we're talking about.

Chikahiro Kobayashi is an absolutely great voice actor when it comes to masculine male characters. His voice fits Legosi perfectly and all of the tiny nuances with his voice acting just added so much to Legosi. Sugimoto (Golden Kamuy) is voiced perfectly by him as well. Unfortunately the English version of Sugimoto voiced by Ian Sinclair wasn't really that good in my opinion. That's not to say Ian Sinclair is a bad voice actor (he's quite the opposite), it's just that Mr. Sinclair's vocal range doesn't really fit Sugimoto.

An English fandub exists for comparison and it's actually decent. They got the casting for Louis perfect in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqtqa0elod0

The official dub is being handled by Spliced Bread Productions. Their choices tend to be very safe and they cast Johnny Yong Bosch in a lot of lead roles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group