• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lupin III THE FIRST

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The good thing is that Lupin III THE FIRST is a rather accessible gateway to the franchise. It's not as dark or as violent as other interpretations of the franchise can get,

It's always weird when some of the Lupin works jump between being pretty tame and then pretty violent sometimes within the same space like with TV shows.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I do love that broad tonal variety though, it makes the franchise never boring and always interesting to watch and appropriate for different moods.

It seems to be a common observation that the story isn’t reinventing the wheel for the series, and I think I’m okay with that. I’ve never watched Lupin for “bold and provocative”, it’s comfort food for me. Plus, it makes sense that the filmmakers would play the plot a bit safe for the franchise’s first CG film. That’s really the star of the show. But maybe if they someday produce another one of these they’ll go a bit more out there. Think Mamo or Babylon’s surrealism compared to Cagliostro’s more archetypal adventure plot.

Also gotta say, I’ve listened to the soundtrack front to back multiple times now and for me its a total A+. Surprised it wasn’t even mentioned in passing in the review. Some of Yuji Ohno’s most impressive work for the series in years. Tough his new compositions for the recent TV series have been pretty great as well, there’s an epic and grand quality to the tracks in The First that feel so fitting for a big screen flashy theatrical film.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:43 am Reply with quote
While i prefer hand-drawn, this does look good. More CG Anime would benefit from having the characters look 3D, rather than trying to make them look 2D.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
While i prefer hand-drawn, this does look good. More CG Anime would benefit from having the characters look 3D, rather than trying to make them look 2D.

+1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1