• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Step Up 2 Da Shelf

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
saini85 wrote:
Quote:
I had a personal fondness for a certain glowing bamboo, though probably not to the same extinct that the first female character did.

Is that supposed to say extent? Also, I have to say comparing Mushishi to a documentary on the toothpick is pretty harsh. It doesn't have any explosions or power ups but it does build up tension and mystery in its own ways.

I guess you don't know my affinity for documentaries like that, then. I think "How It's Made" is one of the best shows on the Discovery Channel. Do *you* know how they make turbine blades?

DRWii wrote:
I agree; if I hadn't stopped reading paragraph 3 when I did I'm sure I'd be traumatized.

...by... what? I re-read the review, and I don't really see anything traumatizing about it. As for the content, well, I felt the cover image was a dead giveaway as to how PG-rated the review may have been.

Quote:

This will probably sound stupid, but are studies you mention at the beginning of the "Step Up" review actual studies or not? Because based on the way you wrote it, I'm not entirely convinced either way.

Population reports coupled with a survey conducted by Durex.
saini85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
haha touche, I can't say anything since 'How it's made' is one of my favorites as well, but most people view documentaries as dry and boring.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
saini85 wrote:
haha touche, I can't say anything since 'How it's made' is one of my favorites as well, but most people view documentaries as dry and boring.

Try some of the documentaries and natural history/science programs on the BBC. I'd be amazed if you came up with a generally poor response for things like Blue Planet, Planet Earth or any of the dozens of military, industrial or political history programs.
Celes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
It's true that there aren't that many boy figures at all...looking at my figure collection right now, it's mostly female, and the only boys I do have are from my Final Fantasy VII, X, XII, and Kingdom Hearts collections...

But the females I have are adorable and sexy Wink My two favorites are my Chidori and Tessa figures from Full Metal Panic TSR-- You can take off their skirts, hee hee. I like to occassionaly take them off just to freak out my mom when she comes in.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Simoun looks a little too fanservice laden for me. While the whole gender issue seems like a twist; it also seems like an excuse to make it Yuri and that just says "contrived" to me.

I certainly agree on Mushi-Shi though. It's too early to say at this point, but if things go as they have been it will definitely make its way amongst my favorites. While the show isn't for everyone, which I also agree on, it's actually the perfect kind of show for me. I like the slow paced thoughtful series like and enjoy the feeling of exploration, mystery and intrigue to the typical explosions and badasses. Not that there's anything wrong with badasses mind you, Cromartie is a great series and it's about that alone ... though comedically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
*FLAIL* SO...MANY...FIGURES! <3_<3
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Very nice shelf collection. Need to meet more women with collections like that (even if I already know quite a few that do), if only so i don't look like the odd one with all the Anime figures, collectibles and just way too many DVD's.

<3

Keonyn wrote:
Simoun looks a little too fanservice laden for me. While the whole gender issue seems like a twist; it also seems like an excuse to make it Yuri and that just says "contrived" to me.

I'm with ya there. Some Anime just seem to try to push a limit, but it gets old when its already been done a thousand times.
maus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Man, there are some sensitive people over here. What's wrong with talking about the sex in Futari H? We're not living in Japan...
I have seen Futari Ecchi and it looked normal. Ok it was a little bit more hentai than an average anime. But still it was pretty innocent.

BTW about Yura: 25 years and still a virgin without even masturbating? Is she a nun?
belladonna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
can anyone tell me the name of the anime that is between pretear and evangelion on the top shelf
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
belladonna wrote:
can anyone tell me the name of the anime that is between pretear and evangelion on the top shelf

Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
My anime collectiontakes up two shelves on my bookshelf; and whenever my mother complains that my collection is too big, I show her the pictures of other people's collections Very Happy . I don't have any figures on my shelf though, just a Hellsing statue that came with volume 3 and a dragon style knife.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, and ask that you check out an episode first. At first, I also thought, "Really? All women? Yuri fantasy!" but after watching it, I realized that the yuri element rarely comes up at all. I think that may have been a way to market it better, but it's a very, very minor part of the series. The gender assignment is actually a really interesting concept. It brings up a lot of questions, like whether gender is something you're born with, or something that you can innately feel. Also, if you could change gender to advance your career, whether you'd do it.
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...by... what? I re-read the review, and I don't really see anything traumatizing about it. As for the content, well, I felt the cover image was a dead giveaway as to how PG-rated the review may have been.

I was really just kidding, actually. Though I probably would have gotten more information than I particularly wanted. Sorry if I seemed serious. And thanks for linking to those pages. Now we something else in the world to be worried about.
subaru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
Yoshball wrote:
Looking at those shelves got me thinking: If even girls' anime shelves are filled with figurines and dolls of anime girls, just how many male figurines (or should I say "action figures") are even made? Does anyone even buy dudes?

I have a Vash The Stampede and umm... a Claus from Last Exile and ....that's.... about it! There's a couple other male characters I'd be interested in owning, but have never seen decent figures.

I have quite a few Saint Seiya figures, they are all males and look very nice too, with their shiny armours
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I love Mu-shi-shi. I have the 5th volume and the 6th one will be coming out very soon.

Yay! I do agree, however, that it is a very mood-based anime. It's great to watch on a rainy day or as a relaxing break from explosions and drama. Of course, the art is very nice and the world is so distant and peaceful it makes me want to lose myself in it whenever I watch it.

I suppose that's a majority of its appeal. Anyways, nice column.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4