• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising Film Tops U.S. Box Office Chart on Wednesday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
A 2.5 million opening day gross is pretty awesome. It easily surpassed Two Heroes US debut (it did screen in almost double the amount of theaters), and will likely beat out Japan's opening weekend box office (which again, makes some sense given the fewer screens). It will be interesting to see how Saturday turns out.

Last edited by KitKat1721 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
I didn't evne know this was in theaters.... could've done better with better advertising. and a sub screening. Only seeing a single screening in my entire city and it's dubbed which isn't my preference
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
Thats awesome news!!

I went on Wednesday with a friend and we both had a great time. Almost a full theater, and everyone was super respectful with little talking.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
I went to see it too on Wednesday, though I went to an empty showing with like 10 other people. Though to be fair the showing I went to was at 1:40 in the afternoon so most people were in work or school (I'm disabled so I have free time on my hands).

On a more serious note is anyone else having problems with the article? I keep getting redirected to one of those "Please update Flash" scam pages. Please tell me I'm not the only one...
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I didn't evne know this was in theaters.... could've done better with better advertising. and a sub screening. Only seeing a single screening in my entire city and it's dubbed which isn't my preference

Funimation's been bombarding my email with ads for this for weeks, and I'm not even a subscriber; guess I must have bought something in their store at some point.

I also generally prefer subs, though at the one I went to, the screen was so large that constantly looking down to read the subtitles got a bit distracting. Anime movie dubs are generally much better than series dubs, anyway, so I wouldn't let that be a deal-breaker.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

That's very surprising. My sister lives in a small town and its still showing for at least five days in both languages, which was a huge improvement compared to what she usually gets for anime releases.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

The film was well advertised throughout the news outlets that focus on anime, so the only way I can see you missing out was if you don't often pay attention to those outlets, which is just like the case for me when it comes news in general as I hardly watch or read the news. Although with that said I did see movie posters of Heroes Rising in the theaters around my area prior to opening night. Hm. . . As for screenings I was assuming given how mainstream and popular My Hero Academia is that it would have gotten more screen times compared to most other anime films that get showcase in theaters. My guess is that was the reason Toei Animation's Dragon Ball Super: Broly also had multiple screenings as the film was apart of series that is also mainstream/popular. Around where I live the film gets showcased once a day and is likely going to be around for a little while. Furthermore where I live the film is getting both a U.S and Japanese dub screening, but the Japanese dub is screen on certain days (the first screening was last night, but I only the U.S dub on opening night). Given your comment as well as KitKat's I am guessing certain theaters are handling the movie differently. I am sorry the theater where you live is only showing one screening. That is a downer. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I've found theatrical anime showings are either really easy to find or really hard to find.

I remember when the first Fate/stay night movie was announced with US showings and literally every day for months, I checked everywhere I possibly could to get tickets. And nothing even remotely close to me came up. I was very dissapoint. But the second movie was so easy to find, I went to see it twice...lol. This was the same with the Made In Abyss movies...saw the first one in theaters no problem...the second one was no where to be found.

As for the Heroes Rising movie, I was able to get tickets for a sub showing (I don't dub), almost 3 weeks in advance, and had the choice of like 6 theaters in the area.

I also already have advance tickets for the sub showing of Digimon: Last Evolution Kizuna showing on March 25th. Also had the choice of many theaters, and got lucky to get the one within walking distance of my home.

Emma Iveli wrote:
I went to see it too on Wednesday, though I went to an empty showing with like 10 other people. Though to be fair the showing I went to was at 1:40 in the afternoon so most people were in work or school (I'm disabled so I have free time on my hands).

Yeah, timing can be everything. I went at 5pm, so the theater was pretty packed. There was another showing later at 10:45pm, and I assume that one was even more full.

Emma Iveli wrote:
On a more serious note is anyone else having problems with the article? I keep getting redirected to one of those "Please update Flash" scam pages. Please tell me I'm not the only one...

Eww. No I have not been having this problem... Sorry it's happening to you.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Time Bandit wrote:

Emma Iveli wrote:

Yeah, timing can be everything. I went at 5pm, so the theater was pretty packed. There was another showing later at 10:45pm, and I assume that one was even more full.

Emma Iveli wrote:

Eww. No I have not been having this problem... Sorry it's happening to you.

Well also the area where I live had a is having a lot of showings, not only at the theatre I went to (I forgot how many they had that day but it was a lot), but also in town (not only to the theatre I went to, but another I go to sometimes as well as a couple more), so there's another reason why the showing I went to was pretty empty along with the time I went to.

Also thankfully the problem stopped, but before I went to bed last night it actually gotten worse and had affected the forums, but like I said the problem stopped and I'm guessing someone from the site noticed it before it got worse.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, hopefully it's worth all this hype. I'm gonna see it subbed tomorrow!
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
You may think this means My Hero Academia has mainstream popularity in the US. But $3 million means MHA is still more of a niche thing outside of anime/comic book/superhero fandom. In comparison, Dragon Ball Super: Broly earned over $37 million in the United States.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
sure, over 5 weeks.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
You may think this means My Hero Academia has mainstream popularity in the US. But $3 million means MHA is still more of a niche thing outside of anime/comic book/superhero fandom. In comparison, Dragon Ball Super: Broly earned over $37 million in the United States.
It consistently outsells American comics and other manga on Bookscan lists so DB may be more popular because of course it's been around for a lot longer but MHA is hardly niche.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
"Mainstream" isn't strictly defined, anyway; there's no exact number of fans or amount of revenue that makes something officially mainstream.

For anecdotal evidence, I've seen quite a few random people with MHA shirts or bags, while not anywhere near an anime or gaming event. And an AoT one at least once. Can't remember ever seeing a DBZ fan in the wild, though. It's very popular with men in a certain age range, because nostalgia, but not with the general public.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:31 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Can't remember ever seeing a DBZ fan in the wild, though.

These may help:

Dragon Ball Makes For Good Touchdown Celebrations

ESPN Channels 'Dragon Ball' In New Goku Promo

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1