• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Goes Forward as Planned

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
The Leipziger Buchmesse (Leipzig Book Fair) in Germany, which also houses the Manga Comic Con, said the same thing a couple of days ago. Yesterday it was cancelled.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Thing about the Leipziger Buchmesse is that it was scheduled to happen next week. Anime Expo is scheduled for July. It's very reasonable to expect that the situation will improve by July. If it doesn't, AX can always cancel in June.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Thing about the Leipziger Buchmesse is that it was scheduled to happen next week. Anime Expo is scheduled for July. It's very reasonable to expect that the situation will improve by July. If it doesn't, AX can always cancel in June.

This. It's far too early to preemptively cancel an event that's four months away.

If you want to be concerned about an event going forward that probably shouldn't be... Look to Emerald City Comic Con, just over a week away in a city with known cases of and deaths from the virus, that has announced it's intention to go forward anyhow.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah far to early to pull the plug on this.
Hopefully this Virus thing peters out and turns into a non event.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Yeah far to early to pull the plug on this.
Hopefully this Virus thing peters out and turns into a non event.

It will. There's no reason to believe this virus will act any differently from any other coronavirus like the 2002-2003 SARS outbreak. COVID-19 has been running more rampant and there have been more deaths, but there's also been more travel in and out of as well as within China since 2002 so it isn't that surprising that it's spread so quickly. But with warmer air and more people outside instead of staying inside in groups it should fade away. With all signs pointing towards an early spring it should happen sooner than later.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1