• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Digimon Adventure:' Reboot Anime's English-Subtitled Trailer Reveals April 5 Premiere

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
a reboot? Did the hottier and sexier, darker and edgier sequel series not go over well? Not really trying to be super derisive, but I remember before when I saw a lingerie tri ad of grown up Digimon girls and was thinking hmmmm
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Why? I don't get it why they have to reboot OG Digimon? Apparently they are running of ideas.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Why? I don't get it why they have to reboot OG Digimon? Apparently they are running of ideas.

They didn't run out of ideas, Digimon Tri did better then Appi Mon. They going where the money is (sadly).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one who's looking forward to it and thinks it looks good?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Is the cast list here right? My French isn't perfect but the source might be talking out of their ass and I don't see an official one.
Qulex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Why are people acting surprised? Shit's been announced a while ago, you had your time to be upset/mad about the fact that it's a reboot.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it even really a reboot?

The article states "The new anime will take place in 2020 and will feature an all-new story centering on Taichi Yagami when he is in his fifth year in elementary school". Also there are no familiar scenes in the teaser.

To me it looks more like an alternative version for fans of the original than just the old story with some differences and new animation like people expected.
Qulex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:

The article states "The new anime will take place in 2020 and will feature an all-new story centering on Taichi Yagami when he is in his fifth year in elementary school". Also there are no familiar scenes in the teaser.

To me it looks more like an alternative version for fans of the original than just the old story with some differences and new animation like people expected.

Reimagining would be a better term.
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I’m also excited for this.

Don’t get me wrong, I would prefer more Tamers, Applimon, or something new. However, this actually looks like more of an alternate story than a rehash of what we already saw with Adventure 01, and I like the looks of the animation from the teaser.

And frankly, I’m just happy to have a new Digimon series.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:

And frankly, I’m just happy to have a new Digimon series.
I'm also excited for more Digimon as I was expecting the franchise to go into dormancy for awhile after Kizuna, so I'm glad it still seems to be sticking around for awhile more. And I'm excited to see where they take the characters with this reboot now that they're no longer shackled by the 02 epilogue.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
As long as Dragon Ball Super never comes back, this is fine with me.

I do wonder how Toei will handle it in the states though considering they failed with getting Appmon anywhere and they might have other plans than just subbed episodes on Crunchyroll judging by their handling of the recent movies so far, Kizuna included.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:27 am Reply with quote
Honestly appealing to both the younger & older audience demographic generally doesn't work out well.

It's not like the younger audience will care who these kids are & the older audience might just be fed up with the Adventure cast being used so much especially since Kizuna is supposed to function as a grand finale or something along those lines.

Would not surprise me 1 bit if this winds up bombing.
peno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:44 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I am looking to it too, but on the other side, the fact that a month before premiere, there's still so little info, including cast, seems suspicious for me, to be honest.

Somer-_- wrote:
Is the cast list here right? My French isn't perfect but the source might be talking out of their ass and I don't see an official one.

Seems fishy to me, especially since most of these people are (former or current) Pokémon cast, And although Yuuji Ueda did have some small roles in the original Adventure, neither of the rest did. That may not necessarily mean anything, but it still seems suspicious. And to be honest, the moment I'll hear Rika Matsumoto in Digimon, I'll go and see shrink, to make sure I am not insane Laughing
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:

Yeah, it looks significantly different. I was confused why they were doing a reboot so soon after the "finale" of the Adventure timeline, but the only reason they kept the adventure name is because the characters are the same. This seems like an alternate universe otherwise, which I can appreciate. I have a feeling that rather than the isekai nature of the original, it'll be more like 02 where they only go to the Digital World periodically or maybe Tamers/Savers where the early episodes were all in the Real World before it escalated, but we'll see. It's probably best to take this in as a whole new series rather than to come in with any expectations of the original.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I’m looking forward to this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2