• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shirobako Movie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ok, hw many of these thigns are there?

Musical numbers.

Dance scenes.

The mc being so high in drugs/sleep deprivation that she hallucinates her plush toys talking to her.

Those were the three kinds of scenes that I lvoed/hated in the original shirobako tv series.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:24 pm Reply with quote
So, is this essentially the same Shirobako, only now in the form of a full-length film? If so, then I am with you.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
“Labor of love” is all the reason I need to watch this movie. I don’t expect too many new narrative elements in an industry-related movie; I just want to see Aoi and co. make an anime together one last time.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:52 am Reply with quote
I hope I can see this in theaters eventually. You know... after this whole thing blows over.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
RealMTL wrote:
I hope I can see this in theaters eventually. You know... after this whole thing blows over.

I'm pretty doubtful that'd happen. Sentai didn't even bother to dub the series after all.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
RealMTL wrote:

I'm pretty doubtful that'd happen. Sentai didn't even bother to dub the series after all.

Shirobako has about 300K viewers on MAL. For comparison, Fathom Events and GKIDS brought over Promare, presumably on the popularity of Imaishi. Both Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill have a million MAL viewers. I suspect the US audience for Shirobako isn't large enough to support a theatrical roll-out.
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The film's fantastic; the dance numbers were great, and the story had a great pay-off. It's definitely something that's worth watching. With this being said, the review here is absolutely and completely wrong about the plausibility of the movie's outcomes.

Another review out there correctly points out that since Miyamori and her coworkers are professionals with 4 more years of experience, they'd only be more likely to succeed, not less.

In fact, having them fail would seriously undermine the movie's goals. Sounds to me like a case of sour grapes here about what hard work and skill are capable of, if you ask me.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
This was good silly with some fun anime stuff but real good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1