• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Simultaneous Dub Production for Current, Upcoming Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
It’s sad but understandable, keep everyone safe
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
Completely reasonable, for a virus that transmits through droplets, dubbing studio is probably one of the most dangerous facilities in a time like this
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:30 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking that a thing like this would increase home-dubbing...
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:06 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Industry pros seem to really hate that sort of thing, only allowing a handful of actors to do it. I suspect that's kind of an outdated attitude, given how good even cheap microphones are these days, and how expensive studio time still is. Maybe this mass quarantine situation will change some minds on that front.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:32 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Industry pros seem to really hate that sort of thing, only allowing a handful of actors to do it. I suspect that's kind of an outdated attitude, given how good even cheap microphones are these days, and how expensive studio time still is. Maybe this mass quarantine situation will change some minds on that front.
Studios also have the advantage of sound proofing and having an audio engineer and director on set. I would suspect other advantages as well, but only a professional would know them.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
I actually checked their Facebook posts about 10 minutes after they announced this since it occurred to me that having people going in and out of the building all day would be a bad idea. The recording booths are also small and the actors would have to put their faces inches away from where someone else's face had been for a length of time. Overall, it's just not a good idea. My backlog will more than suffice in the duration.

kotomikun wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

I doubt it. There is still a lot of directing that happens in real-time, and recording from home seems to only happen when someone has a home recording booth, not just a decent microphone and recording program. Remote recording sessions still have an engineer on both ends. Heck, according to the commentary on Fruits Basket, Caitlin Glass went out to record with Laura Bailey in LA rather than do it remotely. The lack of consistency would be too much of a problem.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling this would happen. Totally understandable.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
I do wonder what this will mean for Toonami as they are airing new episodes of MHA and Black Clover and if they'll have to air reruns or maybe pick up older shows to air in the meantime.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
Toonami is 14 eps behind the current dubbed ep of Black Clover, so there's plenty of time to figure out how to keep the dub going during this transition.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
It’s sad but understandable, keep everyone safe

Agreed. *cries in English* I want everyone to be safe and this damn pandemic to be over already.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Toonami is 14 eps behind the current dubbed ep of Black Clover, so there's plenty of time to figure out how to keep the dub going during this transition.

But My Hero Academia has a hard time getting the Dub in on time for Toonami’s broadcast. There was even that 1 week where Dr. Stone replaced MHA so that Dr. Stone can wrap up and give MHA a week off.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Studios also have the advantage of sound proofing and having an audio engineer and director on set. I would suspect other advantages as well, but only a professional would know them.

Also, not every microphone and studio setup sounds the same. Even if they all sound "good," there can be subtle variances that can be distracting. It's probably not as big a deal as it used to be, but I would imagine it would still be noticeable if the dozen or so actors are each recording from their own studios. I heard NYAV Post make a huge effort to ensure that both their NY and LA recording booths are exactly identical in every way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1