• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Beastar Trek

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I was fairly impressed by BEASTARS. It is a very smart show with deep themes. I look forward to season 2. I watched it with the English dub, and indeed it is a strong one. But most English dubs nowadays are very competent across the board.

And Zac and Lynzee, thanks for doing this podcast.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Beastars is good, the second season almost makes the Land of the Lustrous delay worth it... almost.

I guess that's the problem with Studio Orange being the only studio that can do what they do. I imagine it'd be hard to expand production, and if any of their projects gets passed onto another studio it'd have to be radically reinvented.

Honestly with the 3D question a 2D Beastars that is more in-line with the manga style would be interesting. Paru Itagaki has a very loose gestural style that relies on how expressive ink can be, it would've been fun to see 2D animators try to translate that.

It's a weird commonality between both Studio Orange productions. They pick manga that have gorgeous 2D art-styles that are impossible to translate into 3D, so they have to reinvent the entire look and direction.

Both LotL and Beastars also use non-humans as characters, and that slight alieness is part of how they comment on human nature. Probably a coincidence but it's interesting.

It'd be fun to see Brand New Animal when it comes out. A similar subject matter but knowing Trigger they're going to take the opposite approach.
Black_Kenshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely on Team Beastars! The way that people were describing the show made it seem like it was some sort of "Rule 34 Zootopia but more disturbing" kind of thing. While there are some aspects of it that could be considered disturbing, I saw a show that was willing to tackle a lot of subjects relating to the human condition and growing up through the behaviors of animals and their natural instincts.

One thing I did catch during the Podcast was that you weren't sure if there were elements of race going on in there and needed to see more. Conversely, I saw the racial elements come right out of the gate through how people treated Legoshi and how he has chosen to deal with that on the sole basis that he's a wolf. Being a Black male, I know that the general population, either consciously or subconsciously, automatically sees me as a dangerous person that's out to do bad things because that's what I'm supposedly wont to do, and suffer the societal consequences due to that. I've also been in several situations, even at work, where I've had to consciously take slights on the chin or watch what I say or how I carry myself. Instinctively, just like any human, I'd want to defend myself in response to all of that by refuting claims, yelling at someone to tell them to stop, or God forbid, fight someone who wants to cause physical harm. Going by those instincts can cause some life-ending repercussions, even if I'm justified in how I'm feeling.
OldManLav

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Beastars way more than I expected to, it was pretty excellent. Appreciate the Bojack shoutout, I've been yelling from the rooftops for people to check that show out. It can be a hard sell, as I find some are turned off by the slapstick, and others are turned off by the dark tone that slowly overtakes it by the end of it's run. Personally, I would rank it as one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's pretty incredible that an animated show about anthropomorphic animals ended up taking the deepest, most interesting dive into mental health that I have ever seen on TV. Also, as a final note I definitely saw Beastars as a metaphor for unspoken feelings between people of different race, culture, and social classes that are co-existing with one another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1