• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clannad Visual Novel Gets Physical Release in West

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
like i know people might just disagree for the sake of it, but the Clannad VN isn't really even that good. It's such a fascinating example of an anime dwarfing what it's adapting and a testament to how much heart Kyoto Animation can put into something when they really want to (looking at Chuu2 and Free).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Buying it.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I would love to buy this game if I didn't already own the Kickstarter physical release with all the goods. I envy all those who buy this version Razz

I have to disagree with cookiemonstah. The VN, while not perfect, it still served as a fascinating family story. In my opinion, the true pull of the game was the fact it takes the story beyond the simple school life. At the time the game released, it wasn't common (and I still don't think it is) to see a story reflect that hardships of the adult life, regardless how over-the-top and outlandish it can be at times. I felt the pain that was truly established in After Story, both VN and Anime.

I can see where your argument is coming from cookiemonstah, however considering Kyoto Animation has adapted more than just Clannad from Key, it's more of a testament to the popularity of Key's works, than just Kyoto Animation. Don't get me wrong, the adaptation was good, but elements of the story suffered at KyoAni's hands in the adaptation (the lights as a perfect example, probably should've been left out or replaced due to only really being referenced twice in 44 episodes...).

I think both the VN and Anime compliment each other well and should be consumed as a package than just one or the other.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I would love to buy this game if I didn't already own the Kickstarter physical release with all the goods. I envy all those who buy this version Razz

I have to disagree with cookiemonstah. The VN, while not perfect, it still served as a fascinating family story. In my opinion, the true pull of the game was the fact it takes the story beyond the simple school life. At the time the game released, it wasn't common (and I still don't think it is) to see a story reflect that hardships of the adult life, regardless how over-the-top and outlandish it can be at times. I felt the pain that was truly established in After Story, both VN and Anime.

I can see where your argument is coming from cookiemonstah, however considering Kyoto Animation has adapted more than just Clannad from Key, it's more of a testament to the popularity of Key's works, than just Kyoto Animation. Don't get me wrong, the adaptation was good, but elements of the story suffered at KyoAni's hands in the adaptation (the lights as a perfect example, probably should've been left out or replaced due to only really being referenced twice in 44 episodes...).

I think both the VN and Anime compliment each other well and should be consumed as a package than just one or the other.

AIR, Kanon, and Clannad all have good anime. Shame for the rest of Key's adaptations other than Planetarian
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I have the anime, both seasons. I never did get to do the VN, so I plan on getting this.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
(the lights as a perfect example, probably should've been left out or replaced due to only really being referenced twice in 44 episodes...).

What do you mean the lights should have been left out? theyre like.... super important to tomoya- scratch that; theyre super essential to the story.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
What do you mean the lights should have been left out? theyre like.... super important to tomoya- scratch that; theyre super essential to the story.

In the VN, maybe. They were never actually explained in the anime, IIRC. In fact, I think I remember that being a significant point of contention between anime-only and VN fans back in the day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:

In the VN, maybe. They were never actually explained in the anime, IIRC. In fact, I think I remember that being a significant point of contention between anime-only and VN fans back in the day.
They are explained by Yukine it's only not obvious that you earn them for each character.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I was literally just about to order a Japanese import of this lol. Definitely gonna pick this up!
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Key wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:

They are explained by Yukine it's only not obvious that you earn them for each character.

It was also brought up in After Story by Kotomi Ichinose, just more science oriented.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Clannad has had a physical release in the west since like 2016. Might want to add 'Switch version' or something cause I was baffled by the headline.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
Good for switch owners.

PS4 owners can get this via Digital Distribution, or just go an import the "Asia Release" for this game and its in english anyway.

As for Clannad not being a good VN Rolling Eyes
toprak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:19 am Reply with quote
Clannad is my only and first VN that I've played, so I will buy it definitely.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
In my opinion, the true pull of the game was the fact it takes the story beyond the simple school life. At the time the game released, it wasn't common (and I still don't think it is) to see a story reflect that hardships of the adult life, regardless how over-the-top and outlandish it can be at times. I felt the pain that was truly established in After Story, both VN and Anime.

God, I hope we get an English version of the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien / Rumbling Hearts VN someday.

As for Clannad itself, that visual guidebook and the arranged music CD look identical to what came with the Kickstarter physical edition. I wonder if the book is a reprint, and if it will still have 10 pages of Kickstarter backers in tiny type.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I heard that the VN was an eroge, or has it been cleaned up?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2