• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! Shows Off Its VFX

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, they're trying, I guess. They've got a long way to go to match the charm of Science Saru's production, though. I feel sorry for the live action team, they're following in the footsteps of geniuses.

Looking at the manga, the original material doesn't have the vitality of the way the animated Eizouken did that scene, either --- what that live-action short shows is really a pretty faithful adaptation of the manga.

Yuasa and his team really added a lot to that scene, and it was a lot that contributed to the depth of the characters and the charm of animation as an art.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I just don't see the point of making a live action adaptation of something that's meant to celebrate animation.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I just don't see the point of making a live action adaptation of something that's meant to celebrate animation.

Eizouken originated as a manga, which does not have a single piece of animation at all. The manga felt more like it was strictly about creativity and passion rather than 'celebrating animation'. Like dm said this is more in line with the grounded manga rather than trippy Yuasa visuals the anime made up.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

What more, using CG...

"Look at all the amazing thing that can be created with animation! I mean, not in this case, but you know in general..." They could at least have modified the story so that the girl wanted to do CG animation rather than drawing...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Eizouken originated as a manga, which does not have a single piece of animation at all. The manga felt more like it was strictly about creativity and passion rather than 'celebrating animation'. Like dm said this is more in line with the grounded manga rather than trippy Yuasa visuals the anime made up.
The manga is still told in a drawing driven medium so it wouldn't be as out of place as a live action adaptation.
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:12 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The main point of this live-action TV drama series is to introduce to new fans a.k.a average Japanese. People who already watch a ton of Japanese TV drama doesn't mind about the character differences, also, average international Eizouken anime fans probably won't watch this as well. It's simply not for you.

The live-action also function as promotion for the manga; as Eizouken manga is the type that will be bought by average Japanese manga fans, not Japanese Akiba-kei otaku.

The casting choice is also to appeal to the average casuals in Japan. As you know, the casts are from highly popular Japanese idol, Nogizaka46. It's clear as a day, the reason why the committee production chooses them for promotion. For information, the latest Nogizaka46 single is sold 853,761 pieces in just a day.

Each made for different demographic targets, fam!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1