• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Job Recruitment Site Asks If You Have What It Takes to Be a Gundam Engineer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to "answer the call" if they could answer a couple of basic questions
1. Do you have a 100MW power source with 24hr endurance that weighs <1000kg with volume <10 cu-m?
2. Do you have material with Young's modulus ~1000GPa with density <1kg/cu-m?
If "yes" to both, sign me up! If not, no one can help you...
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I really would love to be a Gundam Engineer. I have an idea for a particle canon that will be far more efficient than prior beam rifles. Also bouncing some ideas around for new plasma propulsion armaments. Seriously my academic work is usually so boring I'd relish designing a Gundam . Laughing
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
You can see the ad if you go to the Cognavi site: https://www.cognavi.jp/
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
...Seriously my academic work is usually so boring I'd relish designing a Gundam . Laughing
Not sure your field, but to be able to make things that work requires investing the time to get the basics down right first. Way too many think that minimum competency is good enough, it isn't! You have know the basics so well that people come to you when they can't figure things out. Then you can graduate to tackling harder problems, but lots of great scientists and engineers got that way by having a dream fuel their passion to make or do something amazing. Never stop learning and don't let anyone say you can't do something. A good idea? Do your homework and if it looks like it can be done, give it a try Wink

P.S. Gundam engineering starts with learning CAD like SolidWorks, knowing materials properties and stress/strain calculation
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Not sure your field, but to be able to make things that work requires investing the time to get the basics down right first. Way too many think that minimum competency is good enough, it isn't! You have know the basics so well that people come to you when they can't figure things out. Then you can graduate to tackling harder problems, but lots of great scientists and engineers got that way by having a dream fuel their passion to make or do something amazing. Never stop learning and don't let anyone say you can't do something. A good idea? Do your homework and if it looks like it can be done, give it a try Wink

Officially my fields are Physics and Engineering (specifically Electrical and Mechanical Engineering), although really I have interest in alot of topics but I do agree with what your saying, and sincerely thank you for the reminder. Often I have to remind myself of the benefit of a "mountain" of homework. I think this ad is a great way to inspire creativity and interest in prospective scientist and engineers. In my personal experience too many people unfortunately regulate creativity and design to the "arts" (not that I have anything against art) so again an ad like this can help shake some ingrained notions of science, get people to think big and have fun despite the challenges.

Quote:
P.S. Gundam engineering starts with learning CAD like SolidWorks, knowing materials properties and stress/strain calculation

I'm proficient with material properties and stress/strain work. Although it would be fun to solve a few homework problems built around designing a Gundam. I am currently trying to learn SolidWorks. I usually use AutoCad but I'm trying to expand Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
...Officially my fields are Physics and Engineering (specifically Electrical and Mechanical Engineering), although really I have interest in a lot of topics... In my personal experience too many people unfortunately regulate creativity and design to the "arts" (not that I have anything against art) so again an ad like this can help shake some ingrained notions of science, get people to think big and have fun despite the challenges....
You're right that Japan needs this sort of encouragement (badly). In my view, the problem there is that STEM fields are so ultra-competitive that to get a chance at doing something you have to be so good at the one thing that no one would ever get anybody else to do it. This leads to scientists and engineers being "pigeon-holed" in specialties and you need "generalists" like you and I to pull together a lot of different information to be able to design and build things that work. It also tends to put intellectual "blinders" that you mention on otherwise great engineers. This is why Asian countries (following the Japanese societal model) tend to copy what the US and Europe come up with.

The world desperately needs more people like you who are interested in a lot of areas and creatively come up with ideas for new things! How did we get television? It started with a few individuals like Philo Farnsworth and Vladimir Zworykin who wanted to find a way to transmit moving pictures in real-time over radio and learned enough to make the first working devices. Wink
micah007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
You're right that Japan needs this sort of encouragement (badly)........It started with a few individuals like Philo Farnsworth and Vladimir Zworykin who wanted to find a way to transmit moving pictures in real-time over radio and learned enough to make the first working devices.

Couldn't agree with you more Smile
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 am Reply with quote
I’m with the girls of Eizoken, the practicality of super robots and mobile suits is zero.
StroggCore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:28 am Reply with quote
Isn't it a little too much? I think that even becoming a Cisco certified network engineer is easier than that. Because for me it looks almost impossible. Almost. Anyway, being a network engineer is interesting. Right now I'm preparing myself to become a Cisco certified engineer. I think I will use some additional help just in case. Not so long ago one of my friends found this https://cciedump.spoto.net/ site. As far as I understand, they provide help with Cisco exams. I will take it and become a Cisco certified network engineer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1