• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sing "Yesterday" for Me

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I felt episode 2 was kind of weak, but episode 3 on the other hand, was great.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 am Reply with quote
I have been reading that the show has post credit scenes that are not showing up on stream for the show. Is that actually true?
boldulysses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I have been reading that the show has post credit scenes that are not showing up on stream for the show. Is that actually true?

Yeah for some reason CR didn't get the post-credit scenes, which is really disappointing since they add A LOT to the character development, especially Shinako after ep.2.

Rumor has it even the 6-episode OVA won't show up on the stream either (exclusive to the one broadcasting service that got it), which would be awful if true.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Sad news that, sometimes the post credit screens are still part of the show. Other times they are chibi characters like Bookworm and Gunbuster.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone actually ever sing "Yesterday" on the show?

Those Beatles song rights are so expensive that it was even a meta gag on an episode of American Dad last season.

spoiler[Steve and Roger discover that they're stuck in a spin-off but every attempt they make to sabotage the show-within-a-show backfires until they realize it's filmed in Vancouver and Roger theorizes that any show shot on the cheap in Canada wouldn't be able to afford the rights to a Beatles song so Steve starts singing "Hey Jude" and doesn't get three words in before the spin-off is cancelled.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
boldulysses wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Yeah for some reason CR didn't get the post-credit scenes, which is really disappointing since they add A LOT to the character development, especially Shinako after ep.2.

Rumor has it even the 6-episode OVA won't show up on the stream either (exclusive to the one broadcasting service that got it), which would be awful if true.

I emailed CR about this when it was first suggested elsewhere online once the post-credits scenes were discored. This was two weeks ago and I've been met with absolute radio silence.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Does anyone actually ever sing "Yesterday" on the show?

I doubt it will happen. It would likely cost tens of thousands of dollars to license that song even for a Japanese anime.

In the Japanese version of Monster, the song "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes is played (by "the Baby") but on the American release it's replaced by elevator music. That song continues to earn royalties for the now-incarcerated Phil Spector. No way was Viz going to pay for the rights to that song regardless of how it fit the story. (The episode itself is entitled "Be My Baby.")

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/movies/be-my-baby-a-hit-single-with-staying-power.html

I've wondered from time to time whether Madhouse paid royalties for that song originally.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
If we could never waste another episode on this kid, that'd be great Rolling Eyes
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
If we could never waste another episode on this kid, that'd be great Rolling Eyes

There are FOUR main characters.
We had FOUR episodes.
For now we only watched the introduction and setup.

Not that introductions ended the story will start to move, like it's habitual.
In the extra Fukuda tells to Rikuo about an opening to help in an exhibition.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
This is getting so boring. I don't have any interest in Shinako's past romance. (There are already 2 eps on it. Nobody wants to live in the past.) I'm only interested in the main cp's romance or at least I think they're the main cp. What exactly is the focus of this show? Why is the main girl not getting enough screen time? This whole season is so sad. If the shows aren't lousy in art, they're lousy in story telling. I'm going back to watching old stuff.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

Yeah that would be great... that's not the route the story goes down, sadly. That was my main disappointment from the manga, the story is roughly split equally between all 4 character and Rou is not that interesting so you get long segment where it feel like nothing is happening because they focus on him and some other secondary character.

Plus... why would someone whose brother is physically weak distinguish himself trough art, something which a physically weak person would have no problem doing... He should have been athletic instead.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Plus... why would someone whose brother is physically weak distinguish himself trough art, something which a physically weak person would have no problem doing... He should have been athletic instead.

Just like a healthy person isn't necessary athletic an unhealthy person isn't necessarily artistic. It's not what his brother could possibly have done, it's about what he actually didn't.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Treeborn wrote:

Yeah that would be great... that's not the route the story goes down, sadly. That was my main disappointment from the manga, the story is roughly split equally between all 4 character and Rou is not that interesting so you get long segment where it feel like nothing is happening because they focus on him and some other secondary character.

Thats what I was afraid of... I don't find Shinako or the kid interesting at all, so I was hoping the perspective would shift and stay on Rikuo and Haru (both of which I find vastly more interesting).

Shinako has been a whiny slideshow of a character we'll never meet. Meanwhile, I may be way off base here, but the kid just seems like he's horny as hell. From what I can tell, the only attention he was actually envious of was the attention his brother received from Shinako. He spends all his time trying to hook up with Shinako, only taking breaks to express interest in Haru, another very attractive girl. I get it, highschool kids are looking to bone. Was just kinda hoping this series would focus on problems adults face after school is over, and not highschool kids with highschool problems (no hate intended to series that do focus on that).
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
[

Thats what I was afraid of... I don't find Shinako or the kid interesting at all, so I was hoping the perspective would shift and stay on Rikuo and Haru (both of which I find vastly more interesting).

Shinako has been a whiny slideshow of a character we'll never meet. Meanwhile, I may be way off base here, but the kid just seems like he's horny as hell. From what I can tell, the only attention he was actually envious of was the attention his brother received from Shinako. He spends all his time trying to hook up with Shinako, only taking breaks to express interest in Haru, another very attractive girl. I get it, highschool kids are looking to bone. Was just kinda hoping this series would focus on problems adults face after school is over, and not highschool kids with highschool problems (no hate intended to series that do focus on that).

Very rough proportion story wise I'd say Rikuo is about 30% of the content, Haru is maybe 20%, shinako and Rou are maybe 15% each and the rest are various side character, maybe half adult and half high school kid.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
I'm tired of writing so much already about this episode in various places, so I'll just point a negative aspect of the decision to skip a whole arc with this episode.

This gives ammunition for those who were accusing Haru of being a "manic pixie dream girl", which she is not.
Without all the context missing from the skipped arc, one may get to the conclusion that Haru is the cause of Rikuo's change (the new job and new camera). That Haru is the cause of Rikuo's irritation with Minato.
This is wrong.
In the missing arc Rikuo reflected about his relationship with photography. We get an answer to why he stopped taking portraits of people, why he stopped photographing people and eventually stopped with photography altogether. That's why Rikuo was so "triggered" by Minato presence and his thoughts about photography, it was not that much about Haru.
I'll the anime make the mistake of making Haru to be much more important for Rikuo's growth?[/b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4