• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigger Announces Cyberpunk: Edgerunners Anime for Netflix Debut in 2022

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
It's like they accidentally switched the credits around. I'm far more interested in seeing what Imaishi's cyberpunk designs would look like, while the most impactful social commentary in Trigger productions have generally come from Yoshinari's directed works. I can't say I have greatest level of faith watching the two of them attempt each other's strengths.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this came out of nowhere. If nothing else, I am interested to see how they handle this.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I do believe we should emphasize again and again the word “stand-alone” in the anime description, since they aren’t trying to adapt the game plot, I am looking forward to what kind of liberties they would take to make this 10-episode long series. A “gaiden/spinoff” or something completely different?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This would be much more hype if it wasn´t Trigger and specifically these burnouts. I´ll keep my mind open and will watch the pilot no matter what but my cyberpunk anime hopes are on GitS SAC 2049 going past S2 and Blade Runner: Black Lotus.

The original tabletop game in itself is ripe for adaptation and had to do a major time jump for the game. The perfect opening for any adaptation or game tie-in right there. https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_Red
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow top talent and a top studio, this dosen't seem to be some throw away production. I'm excited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
This would be much more hype if it wasn´t Trigger and specifically these burnouts. I´ll keep my mind open and will watch the pilot no matter what but my cyberpunk anime hopes are on GitS SAC 2049 going past S2 and Blade Runner: Black Lotus.

The original tabletop game in itself is ripe for adaptation and had to do a major time jump for the game. The perfect opening for any adaptation or game tie-in right there. https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_Red

Have a problem with Studio Trigger?
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I dunno how I feel about this tbh... on the one hand I love me some good ol' cyberpunk stuff and the setting looks pretty interesting, but, on the other hand , I REALLY dislike Trigger. Like, I've never even been able to finish any of their series and they pretty much ruin any potentially interesting stuff they touch so, I'll have to wait and see I guess...
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of cyberpunk and Trigger, I’m looking forward to this. A shame it’s behind Netflix’s binge and late release model, but one cannot have it all in life.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Would have preferred another game series, specifically a Japanese game, getting this.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
That’s a lot of talent behind a brand new IP.

Still hoping for some Keanu Reeves.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very interested in Cyberpunk 2077 but seeing Trigger involved in an anime adaptation has picked my interest. Hope to hear more about it
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
As a fan of cyberpunk and Trigger, I’m looking forward to this. A shame it’s behind Netflix’s binge and late release model, but one cannot have it all in life.

This sounds like something that'll be on Netflix worldwide, so you probably won't have to worry about any "late" release.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:

This is something Netflix has commissioned so it'll be on Netflix worldwide without a TV release so they'll be no waiting.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:23 am Reply with quote
CDPR: Witcher games
Netflix: Witcher TV series, Witcher anime movie

CDPR: Cyberpunk 2077 game
Netflix: Cyberpunk 2077 anime

Seeing a trend
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1