• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RetroCrush Adds 10 Anime Titles to Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K7P5V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:25 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Totally what I've been waiting for. Thanks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:58 am Reply with quote
I am so happy RetroCrush exists! Between them and Discotek, it's just so great to see older anime get legit releases.
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
Shin Getter Robo too? Count me in!
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:18 am Reply with quote
So is any of those a new property? As in something that never had been released before in the US??

I heard this project might pick up new stuff that had never been licensed, right?

And I see Studio Pierrot is involved, so hopefully they sub Midori no Makibao, is an anime adaptation of a manga that ran in Weekly Shonen Jump that I have always been interested in.

Other title I'd like to see get picked is Shonen no Koya Isamu, a western manga that was supposedly one of WSJ bigger hits of its first years.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
So is any of those a new property? As in something that never had been released before in the US??

I heard this project might pick up new stuff that had never been licensed, right?

Well, there are Anime Sanjushi/The Three Musketeers & the various Pierrot magical girl OVAs & crossovers, which (to my knowledge) never had an official English release before RetroCrush.

The main thing to consider is that, while RC has stated that they want to streaming anime that's never been given an official English release before, those do have more hurdles. First, depending on the age & notoriety of the anime, it may not even be possible to license it, due to a variety of factors (bankruptcies, bad blood, no one knows who actually owns the rights to license it out, etc.). Second, and probably most importantly, RC would have to pay for the English translation to be produced, and that alone is the biggest hurdle. RC is a niche service for a niche-within-a-niche audience, so it's going to be much more difficult for them to make their money back for translating a "Never Before Seen" anime than it is for Crunchyroll to simulcast something brand new (or even Discotek doing the same as RC, but at least also having it be on Crunchyroll). After all, RC has the Virtua Fighter anime, but only the episodes that Media Blasters translated about 20 years ago; those last 11 episodes still remain without an official English release.

I fully understand why RC is focusing on previously licensed & translated anime right now, and hopefully once they feel they've reached a consistent user base they'll focus more on doing more "first time ever!" titles.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:

As near as I can tell, the first three titles on the list have never been released before in English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Is "Shin Getter Robo" the title they were using? I assume when it's up we'll see the long standing ADV title of Getter Robo: Armageddon (used by Discotek too), but it'll be interesting if they'll actually just be calling it "Shin Getter Robo" now.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As near as I can tell, the first three titles on the list have never been released before in English.

Sorry Key, but not quite. According to the ANN Encyclopedia, Bander Book was on both Anime Sols & Viki in the past, while Bagi was just on Viki. Meanwhile, Ambassador Magma was an old L.A. Hero/Dark Image Entertainment release on VHS & LD during the 90s.

Definitely some deep cuts from the Tezuka library, though.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Still absolutely loving the people behind this project. Now to go watch more fun stuff. ^^
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Nice more Project A-Ko movies just watched the first one a couple days ago it was pretty fun can't wait until they add the other 3 or 4 movies.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:49 am Reply with quote
However, what does "Voltes V" mean? I ask because, there was an English dubbed compilation movie made back in the 1980s. I had seen it on a Roku app that has now been discontinued. Is this what everyone is getting, or will there be a subtitled version of the actual TV show? Also, what about the other "Robot Romance" shows? Will they be added someday?
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
However, what does "Voltes V" mean? I ask because, there was an English dubbed compilation movie made back in the 1980s. I had seen it on a Roku app that has now been discontinued. Is this what everyone is getting, or will there be a subtitled version of the actual TV show? Also, what about the other "Robot Romance" shows? Will they be added someday?

It'll likely be the actual TV show given Retro Crush works with Discotek and they put out a subbed BD of it this year.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:46 am Reply with quote
Alright, Bagi and Project A-ko 2-4? That's some of the best news I've heard in a while Very Happy
horseradish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Bander Book, the special where Black Jack is a space pirate. Always looking forward to hearing about new releases from Discotek and Retrocrush. Very Happy

perroloco wrote:
Other title I'd like to see get picked is Shonen no Koya Isamu, a western manga that was supposedly one of WSJ bigger hits of its first years.

I'd like to see that as well, but it's so old, obscure, with almost no appeal to modern audiences I'd be amazed if someone licensed it in English. HIDIVE got Judo Boy though, so I guess it's not impossible.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
I see some AnimeSols almost-releases! I'm glad these are finally becoming available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1