• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Attack on Titan ~Chronicle~ Recap Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
how the heck are they gonna recap almost 60 episodes worth of material into a single movie?
wouldn't it make more sense to just recap S3 since S1 and S2 already have their own recap movies?
so are they just gonna recap the recap movies with added S3 recaps?

Quote:
The anime will have a third season, with new staff and the new animation studio MAPPA.

you mean fourth?
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
What ever happened to the other 2 recap movies? They were dubbed for theaters, then never seen again... I'd much rather own the first season at that pacing than nearly 60 episodes in one movie.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Most recap movies can barely handle an entire 12 episode season, so this should be quite a sight to see

Last edited by Covnam on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
If Funi and Kodansha are directly cooperating with this, why won't they let Funi dub the OVAs?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine what a recap movie like this would even be like, pacing-wise.

Agree, I wish they could license the OVAs at some point.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 am Reply with quote
Well I can't say I expected this. The movie's runtime is probably gonna be insane so the box office numbers can in no way be spectacular, at least in the West.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Licensing the 8 OVAs of which the first and the 2 for Levi are fully canon to the manga/anime? No. But this travesty? Yes. The 2 Annie eps should also be canon but have no effect on the larger plot.
I am not even sure that the 22 eps long S3 could be done as just one film but why not go for 59 eps? That´s only 20 hours worth of footage. No biggie!

@Raikuro There are 3 recap film (one for S2).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Right, there was a third recap movie, but I was mostly addressing how long the first 2 have been dubbed and still have no home release. Is Funi only licensing these to toss them away after getting a few butts in theaters?

Perhaps Chronicle will be mostly a recap of season 3 with very brief recapping the first couple seasons, and calling it a 59 episode recap is just clickbait (and maybe all the movies will eventually get a big box set with all the OVAs, one can only hope lol)
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Licensing the 8 OVAs of which the first and the 2 for Levi are fully canon to the manga/anime? No. But this travesty? Yes. The 2 Annie eps should also be canon but have no effect on the larger plot.
I am not even sure that the 22 eps long S3 could be done as just one film but why not go for 59 eps? That´s only 20 hours worth of footage. No biggie!

@Raikuro There are 3 recap film (one for S2).

A number of those OVAs actually did come out in the west. At least in the US they were included with Kodansha's manga releases. I think it was just the first 5 though...
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
A number of those OVAs actually did come out in the west. At least in the US they were included with Kodansha's manga releases. I think it was just the first 5 though...

4 actually, Ilse's Notebook, No Regrets (parts 1 & 2) & A Sudden Visitor. The only ones we never got here were Distress & all 3 parts of Lost Girls.

A bit of a shame because aside from no dub, those DVDs were handled pretty well for a first attempt on Kodansha's end.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

4 actually, Ilse's Notebook, No Regrets (parts 1 & 2) & A Sudden Visitor. The only ones we never got here were Distress & all 3 parts of Lost Girls.

A bit of a shame because aside from no dub, those DVDs were handled pretty well for a first attempt on Kodansha's end.

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

I agree it's a shame. I had hoped that we could start seeing more manga ovas that don't usually come over here after this. Maybe they didn't sell well and/or didn't end up benefiting from the extra work
Moontei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why they thought they'd need a most likely absurdly rushed and incomprehensible recap for all 3 seasons all in 1 movie. Especially so when there are already 3 recap movies covering S1&2. Might have been a better idea to make a recap movie for just S3 and reair the previous 3 movies with it imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1