• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOGI48

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Can we get the Monogatari series and Anthem of the Heart to get a eng dub? Other shows are fine as well.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Might have to rewatch this series dubbed now. Hopefully Funimation will release it on home video in the future, I actually would like to own it but Aniplex's $100 price is a bit steep.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I be much more happy if they just start dubbing it at episode 1 from Season 1 and release it one episode at a time from there each week that way it does not feel disjointed listening to the Dub of Season 2 first then go back to Season 1 later.
boldulysses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Why are they dubbing the 2nd season first? It makes no sense unless you've seen S1, so if they're expecting to attract new viewers with the dub, why start in medias res? #headscratch
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:23 pm Reply with quote
boldulysses wrote:
Why are they dubbing the 2nd season first? It makes no sense unless you've seen S1, so if they're expecting to attract new viewers with the dub, why start in medias res? #headscratch

Most likely Aniplex hasn't given Funimation the materials for season 1 (especially since it'd probably be based off of the home video masters) so Funimation's just working with whatever they have right now
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
Might have to rewatch this series dubbed now. Hopefully Funimation will release it on home video in the future, I actually would like to own it but Aniplex's $100 price is a bit steep.

Do you have a region free blu ray player? If so you can find the UK version of Aniplex titles fairly cheap on Amazon. I ordered a blu ray player and 3 or 4 UK sets and still ended up saving a couple hundred dollars compared to buying the Aniplex sets.
boldulysses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
boldulysses wrote:

Most likely Aniplex hasn't given Funimation the materials for season 1 (especially since it'd probably be based off of the home video masters) so Funimation's just working with whatever they have right now

You can go on Funi's site now and watch S1 (subbed). What else do they need?
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
boldulysses wrote:
Divineking wrote:
boldulysses wrote:

You can go on Funi's site now and watch S1 (subbed). What else do they need?

According to a comment posted on Facebook, Funimation does plan on dubbing the first half, they just didn't explain why they're starting with part 2.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the first time Funi has done something like this, usually because the first season is nearing release so the dub will launch then.

The female cast look about right, but I honestly can't imagine the male cast in these roles. I will probably wait until season 1 is dubbed first, but I need to hear how this with play out.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling Aniplex wants to sell the season 2 bluray soon, and so having Funimation do that dub first (as well as season 2 being really popular and recent) would be beneficial. Hopefully Funimation will do season 1 soon, cause it really isn't advised to skip (and crossing my fingers for an eventual standard-priced bluray).
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:12 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I have a feeling Aniplex wants to sell the season 2 bluray soon, and so having Funimation do that dub first (as well as season 2 being really popular and recent) would be beneficial. Hopefully Funimation will do season 1 soon, cause it really isn't advised to skip (and crossing my fingers for an eventual standard-priced bluray).

I feel the same. But what Aniplex and Funi are getting now is the TV release version.. so yeah season 2 will not be released on Blu Ray for awhile because they will wait for the full uncut version to come out and then re-record the whole series again that version to maintain the quality of the dub. So Season 1 will be out on Blu Ray before season 2..

Now that I think about it.. might be better for Funi to wait for the uncut version of season 1 to be release to them as it would then just be a waste of money and time to Dub the simulcast version and uncut version at the same time.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Some people are surprised Funi is doing this like its the first time sor something. IIRC Funi dubbed the second season of New Game first and for OP they started in Alabasta and had to work backwards.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
IIRC Funi dubbed the second season of New Game first and for OP they started in Alabasta and had to work backwards.

Actually it was in the middle of Skypiea for it's original Toonami run while Alabasta was for movie 8.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
no, they got all of the first season of New Game dubbed before they started adding the second season. You are right about this not being the first time though. This happened with Yona, Tokyo Ghoul and I think Million Arthur had some bizarre upload schedule
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
no, they got all of the first season of New Game dubbed before they started adding the second season. You are right about this not being the first time though. This happened with Yona, Tokyo Ghoul and I think Million Arthur had some bizarre upload schedule

Oh yeah. I forgot about Tokyo Ghoul. I think Million Arthur they started in season 2 as well. I thought they started from the beginning with Yona though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2