• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Hunter x Hunter Anime in U.S., Canada

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
K-On and Chuunibyou? I know that Sentai cannot compete with Funimation in terms of licensing budgets, but I hope it is not closing shop or being absorbed by a bigger company. I would hate to lose my favorite anime company.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
K-On and Chuunibyou? I know that Sentai cannot compete with Funimation in terms of licensing budgets, but I hope it is not closing shop or being absorbed by a bigger company. I would hate to lose my favorite anime company.

According to because.moe, there were no legal streams for K-On in the UK before this (K-On and Chuni will only stream in UK/IR), so I don't think Sentai had streaming or home video rights to those shows in UK.
And man Hunter x Hunter still only streaming partially is really getting annoying. Adult Swim no longer streams any of the dub and it hasn't aired on TV in years, so there shouldn't be anything stopping Viz from giving some streaming service in North America the whole dub.
me_barron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
And in true Hiatus X Hiatus fashion, only the first half will be released at first with the rest coming out at some undetermined point in time.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Why are these Viz titles going to Funimation lately after they made a deal with Crunchyroll? Like I know Crunchyroll already has Hunter x Hunter but it's kind of weird to see the dub going to Funimation instead.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why are these Viz titles going to Funimation lately after they made a deal with Crunchyroll?

I am honestly starting to think that the deal is dead. Months after the deal was announced Viz has not released anything from CR on disc.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I am honestly starting to think that the deal is dead. Months after the deal was announced Viz has not released anything from CR on disc.
Crunchyroll has streamed a number of Viz titles they didn't have before like some of Inuyasha and the Sailor Moon R movie.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I'm expecting it to be absorbed by some company soon, which sucks a lot, but there's no way Sentai on their own can compete with Sony, AT&T, or Netflix money. I mean despite there being no announcement, HiDive doesn't have the recent seasons of Food Wars, Haikyuu, or Chihayafuru, which is not a great sign.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I sadly agree with the first part of your post, but the titles you mention not being on HIDIVE are probably a function of those titles either not being licensed by Sentai yet or Crunchyroll having exclusive streaming rights.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:43 pm Reply with quote
they do have the third season of Chihayafuru. I think it was a month delay for the simulcast
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:47 am Reply with quote
H x H 2011 already streams on Crunchyroll and Netflix so I don't get why this a big deal. Does anyone here subscribe exclusively to Funimation? I've had to add it to my list recently to watch a couple of shows Funi has exclusively, but I also subscribe to Crunchy, Netflix, and have an Amazon Prime account.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
H x H 2011 already streams on Crunchyroll and Netflix so I don't get why this a big deal. Does anyone here subscribe exclusively to Funimation? I've had to add it to my list recently to watch a couple of shows Funi has exclusively, but I also subscribe to Crunchy, Netflix, and have an Amazon Prime account.
The big news here is more exposure for the English dub as Netflix was the only one who was streaming the Hunter x Hunter dub in the US before this and not even the entire dub. That the rest of the dub is already streaming on Funimation in the UK will likely mean they'll get the rest of the dub in the US eventually.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The big news here is more exposure for the English dub

Oh. I don't care about dubs so it's not "big news" to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1