• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Uchitama?! Have you seen my Tama?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Correction: Tama and Friends has nothing to do with Sanrio. It's a Sony created franchise I believe.

I'm surprised how much I ended up enjoying this series as I wasn't sure what to make of it up until the release. I'm with Caitlin in that I have absolutely no clue who this was aimed for or why it exists. My guess is that it was trying to aim for a similar niche as Show By Rock (coincidentally an actual Sanrio property); a cutesy moe-fest aimed for otaku who might be nostalgic for the brand, but kid friendly enough that kids and general audiences can watch it too.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I did watch the first episode of this, but I left it by the wayside in favor of other shows I was more interested in. But I might revisit this when I feel like it, as I did like the first episode, even if I'm aware the rest of the series is nothing like said first episode.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I dove into this because of the cast, and I was not disappointed. I mean, it was cute and silly, but that was enough for the show to pass the time enjoyably and I don't regret it. Nora just made me think of Kuro/Sleepy Ash from Servamp, though, so now I want to go and rewatch that.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I like the anime a lot. I've never seen it on the 4kids dub but a lot people have apparently. Its a good anime if you want to relax.

Surprised that the review didn't mention the educational side of how they teach people what not to feed your cats/dogs. Or the showing the rise of stray/homeless cats. I admit, I tear up on the idea of how Nora gave up the chance of his feeding houses and gave a kitten a better life. Most adult cats have a hard time adapting to stay in a house inside because they've grown up outside. I've fed many stray cats growing up and tried to keep one so it was pretty spot on it.

Quote:
many of the characters are young-looking enough that only certain dark corners of fandom would be invested in shipping them.

They look young but the uchitama world might be different with their ages like in nekopara? Guess on surprised that the idea of shipping was brought up on the review.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
This was a very enjoyable series. Very laid back and relaxing, plus cute and mostly funny. Nora was my favorite, though he made me sweat when they'd talk about how hot it was and he was still in his fur-lined hoodie. Smile

I think the show was aimed at everybody. Kids could like it, and their parents could happily watch along with them, teens could enjoy the cuteness and nostalgia for similar shows. It didn't seem to have a narrow target audience, and there's nothing wrong with that. Also remember that what Japanese parents deem suitable for children is not the same as what a lot of USian parents think is children's fare. I don't think the former would bat an eye at the nipple discussion (which was a delight), while the latter would lose their freakin' minds.

Yeah, the shipping comment was weird. Sure, shippers will always ship no matter what the subject matter or characters (you just know there are Spongebob and Doggy Poo shippers out there), but no one had them in mind while making this, or watching it (except the reviewer I guess).
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm about to show my age here. I watched Tama and Friends when it was on TV. I came home from school to watch it and the new episode Saturday mornings. This one, I haven't had a chance to look at just yet, but I really LOVED Tama and Friends.

Heh...had to be my first anime. LOL
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I liked the show. Yes, initially I was afraid that the decision to turn them into bishonens would make the show too female-targeted, not to mention MAPPA's BL reputation ... but it turned out to be quite an innocent show. It was good enough and serious enough for fluff, even had interesting messages in some episodes (it's funny that despite the lack of full-fledged romance in the show, a lot of this was about romantic life), so I had a good time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1