• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Siege on Cybertron

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Lol I just read the actual review that said it was too long and stretched out.

I gotta say, the visual just don't do it for me going by the screenshot/trailer. I don't know why cause I loved beastwar as a kid (they also had lips back then), maybe cause everything seems to be super dark?

From what I understand the comic version of the story goes more into detail about the war and stuff and is less about bumblebee being "the one" and all. Sounds like a shame they chose this direction to adapt : (.

Also I'd be remiss if I didn't link to the best godamn thing in the universe that the transformer franchise ever gifted to the world.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I gotta say, the visual just don't do it for me going by the screenshot/trailer. I don't know why cause I loved beastwar as a kid (they also had lips back then), maybe cause everything seems to be super dark?

From what I understand the comic version of the story goes more into detail about the war and stuff and is less about bumblebee being "the one" and all. Sounds like a shame they chose this direction to adapt : (.

Also I'd be remiss if I didn't link to the best godamn thing in the universe that the transformer franchise ever gifted to the world.

That's such a great fight and is what really made the series stand out from most of its peers at the time. Though for me, the first "WTF?" moment was the "Such heroic nonsense." scene since Ironhide was one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h31VAK3ioZ0

And if anyone was interested in Prime- Megatron backstory, here's the version from Transformers Prime (which was also animated by Polygon Pictures), which doesn't feature Alpha Trion at all, but sounds like it is mostly similar to the War For Cybertron version of events. I think including this would've made the Optimus much more sympathetic in Siege and would've give him a similar situation to Bumble Bee in the new show that they could've bonded over.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Little know factoid and tie in to last weeks TWIA Gundam.
This sequence was animated by the team behind Zeta Gundam.

The more you know.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

The comic isn’t even at the war yet dude. By the time this show was prolly in development the story of the comic is covering the events that lead up to the war. The Decepticons aren’t even a thing in the first 10 issues, their called Ascenticons as Megatron is still just a widely known protestor.

While this show takes place in the smackdab end of the war which the comic is again far, far from portraying.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

It definitely seems to suffer from the overused mindset that "if it's night time/dark all the time, then it's mature". Beast Wars, despite the outdated 90s CGI graphics, was vibrant and had personality. Otherwise, I'd say the CGI here is perfectly competent in a technical sense.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I spent this entire series mildly disappointed and reminded of what Transformers Prime and the PS3 games did so well. The former was a children's show but still hit harder and felt darker than this show. It's nice not having to deal with annoying audience-insert human characters. But that and the attempts at moral nuance are about the only really good things in Siege.

Also, maybe it's too much nostalgia for the Fall of Cybertron game, but the environmental aesthetic here was really dull. The games had a lot of variety in the world, and some truly magnificent ruins (think like a greeblier Destiny dungeon). Here, all the textures look the same and the screen is rarely pleasant to look at. Prime's vision of a ruined Cybertron also looked a lot more interesting, even if it rarely showed up.

Prime certainly had its flaws but I appreciate its art direction and narrative a lot more. Obviously, it had a lot more time to develop, but even just the pilot 5-parter was a great experience that beat out this on most fronts. I'd recommend it to anyone who watched this and is curious for more. From the beginning, there's so much more tension, and its Megatron, while not as tragic, is an unstoppable force of nature and evil charisma. Its Optimus Prime is more of a Big Good but is also much more watchable. This was all right, but there was no real hook.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1