• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Shame they never finished all the DLCs.

It sounds like it would have been good but the story is still a god damn mess.

Characters getting revived and changing timeline sounds ridiculous.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Square Enix can try all they like to improve the source materiel but nothing short of completely redoing the game again will ever lift FF XV out of being still in the category of the worst Final Fantasy games.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
The game's a broken, incomplete mess, and I honestly can't say I can recommend it, but I still enjoyed it very thoroughly because it still did a lot of things right that I really liked. Noctis and bros are still one of my favourite teams from the series. And despite it being so broke, I still prefer it over certain other games in the franchise, one current remake included.

But I agree, this game needs a remake. Probably more than any other Final Fantasy.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Five years on an they're STILL trying to fix this game. Sorry Square, you made another dud, it's past time to look at how your dev cycles are still a complete mess devoid of discipline or ambition.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:56 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile i'm still here having enjoyed the living hell out of the game. lel
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
though he became twisted into a villainous monster after his brother Somnus killed Ardyn's beloved Aera and sentenced Ardyn to thousands of years magical imprisonment

Let's see, your love is murdered and you are imprisoned for thousands of years. Yeah, that would break anybody and turn them into a monster who hates humanity. Makes one wonder why no one tried to break him out much earlier. Especially since he was a renowned healer and prince.
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:04 am Reply with quote
"The first thing you need to know about Final Fantasy XV: The Dawn of the Future is that it is absolutely a work written for diehard fans of the original game"

I fully agree with this, even people who thought the game was only "meh" won't like this.
I contributed to the rise of the world's sea levels last year when I played the game as I cried that much. I cried again once I finished this book.

This is the ending we really should've had in the game.
[img]https://static3.thegamerimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Final-Fantasy-XV-Alternate-Ending-Cover.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500[/img]
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Square Enix can try all they like to improve the source materiel but nothing short of completely redoing the game again will ever lift FF XV out of being still in the category of the worst Final Fantasy games.

I dunno, I think FF13 deserves that spots more, FF15 story was a complete mess, but the road trip aspect was fun, shame the game wasn't all about that rather than... w/e it was about.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure there's much merit in deciding the winner of a "race to the bottom." Every Final Fantasy game since XII has been a disaster. What sets XV apart is simply the scope and scale of the disaster, and how pathetic SE's attempts to monetize that disaster have been.

At least with FXIII they managed to tell a coherent story in a single game. With XV, the narrative is split into what, two games, 5 DLCs, a movie, an anime series and a novel and it -still- isn't coherent.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I'm not sure there's much merit in deciding the winner of a "race to the bottom." Every Final Fantasy game since XII has been a disaster. What sets XV apart is simply the scope and scale of the disaster, and how pathetic SE's attempts to monetize that disaster have been.

At least with FXIII they managed to tell a coherent story in a single game. With XV, the narrative is split into what, two games, 5 DLCs, a movie, an anime series and a novel and it -still- isn't coherent.

XIII was coherent...as long as you read the PILES of data entries in the compendium that explain key plot points because the writer and director were too impatient to weave it into the narrative properly. XIII and VIII are probably the most incompetent, but XV and XII are probably the most boring.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to pop in as the self-appointed defender of FFXIII and say that I love reading people's different takes on the different highs and lows of the franchise! For my money, Final Fantasy XIII, when taken together with it's two sequels, is one of the best FFs

I suppose it just goes to show that the whole franchise has something to offer for just about anyone!
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
I just wanted to pop in as the self-appointed defender of FFXIII and say that I love reading people's different takes on the different highs and lows of the franchise! For my money, Final Fantasy XIII, when taken together with it's two sequels, is one of the best FFs

I suppose it just goes to show that the whole franchise has something to offer for just about anyone!

I agree! The ff13 trilogy is pretty damn good! Happy to see that I wasn't the only one that enjoyed them!
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Can we at least generally agree that Final Fantasies IV, VI, VII, IX and X were good games?
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:

I think when taken together it just make FF13 worse, I mean it literally made the ending of FF13 a deus Ex.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
though he became twisted into a villainous monster after his brother Somnus killed Ardyn's beloved Aera and sentenced Ardyn to thousands of years magical imprisonment

Soooooo they stole Final Fantasy spoiler[X-2] plot?

Just that more mediocre, since the guy in that game not just was imprisoned for 1000 years but also had to revive the situation incontable times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2