• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel III. spring song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:24 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't seen the other two films yet (waiting to watch them all in one viewing session if possible), I have read the vn. I am disappointed to hear that there is some level of narrative tinkering that harms the importance of Illya and Kirei in favor of more Sakura, especially the former. The Heaven's Feel arc's strength, for me, was never the Sakura/Shirou relationship, but the themes of family and fate. By cutting down on Illya's contribution, it hinders that theme as it applies to both her and Shirou.

Still massively looking forward to the adaptation. Even if it seems to underplay some of the best the original vn route had to offer, I trust it will improve those aspects of the route that are weak or just poor.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is also the part of the story where the adaptation choices in the previous films really affect the emotional payoff down the line, which means that some parts of this film work better than others, for better or worse.

Wherever the last movie's focus is, I should think the best thing is that this trilogy be consistent with itself, just as well as being an adaptation of the source material. It's been said that much characterization was skipped over in the first movie, but if one watches it as a direct follow-up to Fate/Zero everything gels with each other/itself better. I'll be watching the last movie through those same lens before seeing for myself if more could've been done.

Of course the reviewer would steer clear of even hinting if the movie followed the True or Normal End (although I should think it'd be the former, considering past adaptations). The one thing I'm personally curious about is whether or not Rider's Pegasus makes an appearance. I know Pegasus wasn't in the Heaven's Feel VN, but the UBW series had elements added that weren't in the VN, and I always thought seeing Pegasus get the UFOtable treatment would've helped give this final Fate chapter an additional bang.

Anyways, very much looking forward to seeing/getting this!
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised just how much I enjoyed the first two Heaven's Feel films, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one whenever we get to see it. If its a satisfying conclusion, I'll be more than happy.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Downplaying some of the Illya and Kirei stuff is fine, because we're already familiar with them from FSN, UBW, and Zero. The first film made it clear that it assumes the viewers are already familiar with the other routes, and the VN was actually structured so that Heaven's Feel only unlocked after you finished the other two routes. Sakura had a very minimal role in the other routes so the least was known about her going in.
otakunomike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
By cutting down on Illya's contribution, it hinders that theme as it applies to both her and Shirou.

This to me was the biggest weakness of the second movie which completely excises Shirou and Ilya's talk in the park about how they're related through Kirigitsu, and only briefly hints at that scene with a wordless montage. The dialogue from there comes back in a major way during the final climax and even before then feeds into Ilya's change of heart to help Shirou, so Im really hoping they get some of that back into this movie since HF is really Ilya's best story too.
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Ultimately there's so much in Heaven's Feel that something was always going to have to give to make it a cohesive movie trilogy. They chose to focus on Sakura's arc to the detriment of the others, but I can't that wasn't the right move. A narrow focus executed perfectly is preferable to trying to do too much and failing to do any of it particularly well.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping they added... something into that climatic final fist fight. I've always been curious about the best way to portray it considering both characters martial experiences.

Too bad about the Berserker fight. But I guess it could have been worse.

Hoping there would be more changes from the VN to make the experience smoother.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
This is also the part of the story where the adaptation choices in the previous films really affect the emotional payoff down the line, which means that some parts of this film work better than others, for better or worse.

Wherever the last movie's focus is, I should think the best thing is that this trilogy be consistent with itself, just as well as being an adaptation of the source material. It's been said that much characterization was skipped over in the first movie, but if one watches it as a direct follow-up to Fate/Zero everything gels with each other/itself better. I'll be watching the last movie through those same lens before seeing for myself if more could've been done.

Of course the reviewer would steer clear of even hinting if the movie followed the True or Normal End (although I should think it'd be the former, considering past adaptations). The one thing I'm personally curious about is whether or not Rider's Pegasus makes an appearance. I know Pegasus wasn't in the Heaven's Feel VN, but the UBW series had elements added that weren't in the VN, and I always thought seeing Pegasus get the UFOtable treatment would've helped give this final Fate chapter an additional bang.

Anyways, very much looking forward to seeing/getting this!

Regarding the Pegasus spoiler[It is]
lazydude500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:52 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the movie yet but FWIW it's not uncommon for the Blu-ray to add new extra footage or improve the animation. Most fans usually aren't aware since they're often unable to view the original theatrical release (in Japan or limited screenings in other countries) and unless a licensor screws up and uses the theatrical video master, there usually isn't a side by side comparison to see with the finalized home video version.

It's easier to compare with TV series since there's usually a simulcast that's widely available.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
When is it going to come over here, damn it? I know-covid 19 etc. but still!!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:16 pm Reply with quote
This is circulating now in U.S. theaters that aren't closed, so I got a chance to see it earlier tonight.

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by everything but the flash factor, which leaned a bit too heavily on garish coloring. A lot of what was going on through the first part of the movie (the part that I suspect Kim was referring to as playing catch-up) was hard to follow, though not having seen part 2 in several months probably didn't help on that. I do agree that the parts with Rin and Sakura felt more compelling than Shiro and Sakura, and the way things played out in the end honestly didn't feel all that novel or special. Basically, little to nothing emotionally resonated with me beyond spoiler[Saber's fate], but it was mostly nice to look at and I was glad to see spoiler[Rider still around at the end.]

I am a bit confused about what was going on at the very end, though. spoiler[Mention was made about Shiro's body not existing anymore. Did the girls finding that doll-like construct in the store mean that Shiro's essence was inserted into a new body?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, i was confused by that as well. Also, was Zoukenspoiler[ the blue haired mage from the past who helped start the grail war]
_Archer_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I am a bit confused about what was going on at the very end, though. spoiler[Mention was made about Shiro's body not existing anymore. Did the girls finding that doll-like construct in the store mean that Shiro's essence was inserted into a new body?]

spoiler[ Yes, Shirou's body was destroyed. Ilya performs the third magic (Heaven's Feel) to in effect save Shirou's soul and place it in a flower in the cave that Rider later finds. Rin and co. then go to Touko (the red haired woman from Garden of Sinners/Kara no Kyoukai, another Type Moon work adapted by Ufotable for those unaware, who makes a very brief cameo as they go to her store) who is an expert at puppet mage craft and place his soul into a puppet she made for them. The movie really rushes through the epilogue of the film, as there was normally quite a lot of dialogue dealing with the state of Shirou, Sakura, and Rider after the war along with the political consequences of Rin using Zeltrech's sword from the mage tower and how Zeltrech shows up to essentially bail her out. ]

getchman wrote:
Yeah, i was confused by that as well. Also, was Zoukenspoiler[ the blue haired mage from the past who helped start the grail war]

spoiler[ Yes, that is supposed to be Zouken. ]

All in all, I agree with this review. The earlier films failed to develop Ilya, Zouken, True Assassin, and to an extent Kirei (more forgivable since his character is explored in somewhat the same manner in Fate/Zero) as much as the VN does, and there are scenes in this film that have less impact as a result. But everything else is otherwise really good and it's a great film. Of the three Ufotable Fate anime, the HF trilogy is probably the worst at completely adapting everything it needs to so everything can get across, but what's left is just still so good and well handled that I'd say the HF trilogy is still the best Fate work by Ufotable and my favorite as well.

I guess now we wait to see if Ufotable will do Hollow Ataraxia, a remake of the Fate route, or Tsukihime when the remake finally comes out as their next Type Moon product. I'm 99% sure they'll do Tsukihime eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1