• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eternals Director cites manga influence.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Of interest, the director of Marvel's ETERNALS, Chloe Zhao, told the Hollywood Reporter during an interview about the manga influences in her life and how she is bringing some of that to her upcoming film.

Zhao was born Zhao Ting, her father the manager of a Beijing steel company, her mother a hospital worker who was in a performance troupe for the People’s Liberation Army. "I have interesting parents," says Zhao. "They’re just a bit different than your typical parents from Beijing. They’re rebellious. They’re weird. They never stopped letting me be who I am. When my grades were so bad and I was just drawing weird manga [Japanese-style comics], I was a wild child and they just let me be. And that’s very rare."

When Zhao met with Disney-owned Marvel about the Eternals job, says Feige, she brought reams of visuals to deliver a compelling pitch about 10 little-known immortal Marvel characters in a story set after the events of the last Avengers movie. "Her initial pitch to us was fascinating," says Feige. "And frankly one of the reasons we moved forward on the movie was because of the vision that she brought to it." One of the ideas Zhao embedded in Eternals was stylistic and rooted in her childhood. "I have such deep, strong, manga roots," says Zhao. “I brought some of that into Eternals. And I look forward to pushing more of that marriage of East and West." Zhao also was pushing big thematic ideas — Eternals is literally about the history of humanity. "How much further and bigger can we go after [Avengers:] Endgame?" asks Zhao. "Because I’m not just making the film as a director. I’m making the film as a fan."

Director Chloe Zhao Arrives With Early Oscar Contender 'Nomadland' and Next Year's 'Eternals': "It's a Bit Surreal"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/director-chloe-zhao-arrives-with-hot-oscar-contender-nomadland-and-next-years-eternals
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1