• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Pretty Pretty Precure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Healin Good is definitely one of the better Precure shows to come out this generation. So far, I've seen and completed Splash Star, Heartcatch, Suite, Smile, Doki Doki, Happiness Charge (Ugh, hate that season), and Go Princess. I fell out of Precure a few years ago due to some really awful experiences I had in the fandom (Particularly the Tumblr section of it), but I picked this one up as I heard it was good. I'm glad I did. Even though it does make some missteps here and there, I really like what this season has given us so far. And honestly, I don't mind Precure being topical because...well, Japan has always had higher standards for their kids shows and are more lax when it comes to their content. That's what I always respected about shows like Pokemon, Digimon, this, and even the World Masterpiece Theater stuff, because they never hesitated to break boundaries and tell serious stories without sugarcoating them (i.e.Talking about issues like death and poverty). I only wish the US's broadcasting standards for kids shows weren't so unnecessarily strict.

But yeah, some Precure seasons are better than others, and even with its flaws, Precure definitely deserves more love than it gets. Here's hoping maybe potential dubs or Blu-Ray releases (UNCUT, I might add!) are in its future.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I fell out of Precure a few years ago due to some really awful experiences I had in the fandom (Particularly the Tumblr section of it)

To be fair, the worst part of most fandoms (and almost the Internet in general) tends to gather in that cesspool called Tumblr.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Can second not enjoying HappinessCharge, even if it did bring back the director of Heartcatch. Heartcatch is still, for me, one of the best magical girl series ever, but it's such a tough act to follow I haven't been able to finish another Precure series. I suppose the good thing about the Precure format is if you stop liking a season, you can just drop it for the next one.

Will 100% watch this one for Aoi Yuuki, though (and hope I don't get burned like with HappinessCharge...).
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I hope crunchyroll gets star twinkle precure next.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
But yeah, some Precure seasons are better than others, and even with its flaws, Precure definitely deserves more love than it gets. Here's hoping maybe potential dubs or Blu-Ray releases (UNCUT, I might add!) are in its future.

Unless Crunchyroll feels like funding it, I'm pretty sure the subbed version indicates the show won't be getting dubbed. That tends to be the case with Toei kids/family shows. See Appmon, Kitaro, Majin Bone, etc. The only exceptions have been WSJ adaptations and likely Digimon Adventure 2020.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Unless Crunchyroll feels like funding it, I'm pretty sure the subbed version indicates the show won't be getting dubbed. That tends to be the case with Toei kids/family shows. See Appmon, Kitaro, Majin Bone, etc. The only exceptions have been WSJ adaptations and likely Digimon Adventure 2020.

Yeah, while I'm extremely excited that Precure is finally legal to stream, I also took it as a sign that they gave up trying to market this to kids outside of Japan. As much as people harp on Glitter Force, it seems like that was their last chance to really enter the kids market. I'm happy as a long tme Precure fan, but a part of me is a little sad that the show will seemingly never be easily accessible to its target audience again.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
While most of the modern Precures didn't interest me, this one looks like an exception and like it's really good, and I'm finally glad that it's able to be streamed on Crunchyroll Very Happy

If only they got Max Heart and the other series, and the films...and about the Dog Princess thing, wasn't that from Go!Princess (often considered to also be one of the best of the franchise)? That actually wasn't last year's but from 2015.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
If I had to rank all the recent series since Heartcatch, it'd probably look something like this

-Heartcatch
-Doki Doki
-Star Twinkle
-Go! Princess
-Smile
-Happiness Charge
-Suite
-Kirakira
-HUGtto
-Mahou Tsukai

I'm not going to rank Healin' Good yet since I like to wait until the end, but I'm liking it so far.

Overall it's nice to see some of Precure in the west, and hopefully the other series can eventually be added. Would also be nice to see the movies and other specials, but those generally never get picked up by Crunchyroll so I won't hold my breath.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
It'll be nice if Splash Star gets brought over. I always thought that that one was really good.
Maybe I just have a soft spot for spoiler[Kintolesky, a giant muscled warrior, vs Korone, an ordinary housecat, who he is convinced is also a mighty warrior and a worthy opponent]

Though I haven't seen a Pretty Cure series since Smile, so I'm way behind the times.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, while I'm extremely excited that Precure is finally legal to stream, I also took it as a sign that they gave up trying to market this to kids outside of Japan. As much as people harp on Glitter Force, it seems like that was their last chance to really enter the kids market. I'm happy as a long tme Precure fan, but a part of me is a little sad that the show will seemingly never be easily accessible to its target audience again.

Eh, who knows? Maybe something will come of this new venture for Precure. Plus, I don't think it's so much Japan's fault as it is American broadcast standards for kids TV being really strict and certain companies thinking they need to chop up anime in order to have them air on TV (Saban, anyone?).
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
OMG!
I didn't know crunchyroll has the first six episodes!!
Now to rewatch Healin Good from the beginning!

I've been a Pretty Cure fan for over ten years and I'm soooooo happy that I can finally legally watch one of them! I hope the rest of the series and movies are uploaded as well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
To be fair, the worst part of most fandoms (and almost the Internet in general) tends to gather in that cesspool called Tumblr.

This!

Primus wrote:

I doubt it with Digimon 2020 or it would be in the same situation right now that Appmon was for a while.

FireChick wrote:
Eh, who knows? Maybe something will come of this new venture for Precure. Plus, I don't think it's so much Japan's fault as it is American broadcast standards for kids TV being really strict and certain companies thinking they need to chop up anime in order to have them air on TV (Saban, anyone?).

I say it was more on the former because if things were right with TV networks here 10 years ago, we would have gotten a broadcast for Toei's dub of the first series that aired everywhere but the states at the time.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
I doubt it with Digimon 2020 or it would be in the same situation right now that Appmon was for a while.

There were a lot of factors working against Appmon that I don't think apply to Adventure 2020. Fusion flopping a few years prior made it difficult to believe Appmon would do any better. Its tie-in game was exclusive to a platform that was on its way out outside of Japan. The toyline was clearly inspired by Yo-Kai Watch's, which was a notorious failure in the English world. Given Appmon only lasted a year, it obviously didn't do well in Japan either. It's easy to see why no one was eager to bring it over.

On the flip side, Adventure 2020 has nostalgia working in its favour. Given Kizuna is coming, Tri must've been successful in North America. There's still affinity towards those characters. It is a bit odd for Toei to immediately simulcast it, but I suspect they knew there would be notable interest from older fans and wanted to monetize that from the getgo. I don't really know which platforms or venue would pick it up, but this is the same company that paid for a dub of World Trigger so it could air on a regional channel on one provider. Anything's possible.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
A Precure simulcast is such a dream come true. It's great seeing sites like ANN talking about it as well.

Honestly, I'd be ok with subbed-only Blu-rays for the franchise. Futari Wa's dub is the only one I'd be interested in owning.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Honestly, I'd be ok with subbed-only Blu-rays for the franchise. Futari Wa's dub is the only one I'd be interested in owning.

Same and with the lack of a HD release for the first 3 seasons, SD Blu-ray sets would be the way to go there.

Though speaking of Futari Wa, maybe I can ask here, does anyone know how the 2020 compilation turned out? It was released back in February on DVD & Blu-ray and I have been wondering how much was cut and also how the Blu-ray quality turned out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2