• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2020 Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
Saw Higurashi yesterday and damn, that was a lot of nostalgia. They even used the original theme song too for the end!

Rest of the Fall has my interest too judging by the lineup, more so than the Summer this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
This new Higurashi had a much stronger opener than the original. The original was actually kinda...incompetent, to put it bluntly, poor at establishing the tense mood when it comes time for it, with some directorial choices that are a bit schlocky if I'm being honest. This new adaptation had none of that, and something like the 1-2 punch of Rena and Mion denying they know anything about the incident has way more impact because those moments are snappier and are over with unnervingly quickly, rather than lingering on it like the original does.

I don't want to go into every single detail about why this one works so much better, despite the episode being structured in nearly the same way and even ending the same way, partly because I don't even know for sure if this is actually a true remake of the original yet. I don't think anyone does.
db999

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this newer version of Higurashi and I think it's a little bit better than the original. I went back to the original 2006 version afterwards and other than the school scenes being different and the upgraded animation, the biggest difference is the lack of internal narration from Keiichi as well as the frequent return to the calendar. I really liked how they incorporated showing the calendar at the beginning of each day and I hope that continues throughout the rest of the series. The calendar element adds to the tension of the episode by introducing a ticking clock element to the series. I thnk those things help to make this a better version of the beginning to this story.

The one area where I do think the original adaptation is better is in the sound design for the creepy scenes. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the sound is just a bit creepier in the original. Not in terms of the acting and music which I think are better this time around, but with the background noises. Maybe it's because the original version had such bad animation that they had to rely on the sound design more, but I think the sound design for the cicada's did a better job of making the series seem unsettling in the original than this version did. Anyway I'm glad this is getting a remake, because I loved the original show and if this version keeps up the quality we saw in this episode I think it actually could be better than the original.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
PEOPLE NEW TO HIGURASHI- IT GETS BETTER

People came to be a beloved series for what happens later in it, at this point the series is ONLY introducing the characters basically.

Also this episode does have much better Direction then chiaki kon did. This is because the current one understands the story, and how to adapt it MUCH BETTER.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
New season new luck and how lucky I got this time but first summer clean up.
Transformers: War for Cybertron was mediocre but I at least finished all 6 eps. No sequels for me. Watch Transformers Prime, also by Polygon, instead. Dragon's Dogma isn´t the trash fire some feared but is equally mediocre. My brain checked out halfway through ep 2 but I still quickly sampled ep 3 and 7. Goblin rape is now genre tope it seems. Both get a 5/10.
Noblesse had a good 2nd arc in the webtoon btw and that´s it. So just like Bleach but from Korea. On to things worth talking about:

Golden Kamuy S3 The show´s lack of budget, the shoddy animation and the breakneck pacing all sting but better this than nothing. Especially after the shit show that was Blade of the Immortal 2019.

Higurashi: When They Cry - New The original was nothing special in hindsight and fully ran out of steam after S2 but there was at least a gimmick. This on the other hand is about as tiered as the current Disney remakes. The old VAs even returned and the “new” character designer also did key animation on the last round of adaptions so what´s the point? Am I too stuck in a time loop? There is nothing here to judge. Same anime, different coat of paint. 5/10 but more like But Why.

Osomatsu-san S3 The shorter S2 and the film didn´t quite reach the height of S1 but were still fun and good on the studio for taking breaks. Cue The Boys Are Back In Town.

Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season I hope that Mappa´s decision to start in early December means that they did the math and saw that more than 26 eps will be needed. Or they will just rush it like always. Hopefully not as this prolonged final act is the manga´s finest hour and I am glad that the studio switch finally lead to the anime using the manga´s grittier designs.

Ultraman S2 will hopefully launch this fall for real. Superhero 9/11 should be this season´s topic.
I wonder if the 2 mangaka watching Man of Steel caused this but aliens trashing NYC is the genre´s bread and butter. Now in CG.

Gekijouban Gundam G no Reconguista Movie 2 reworked ep 6 to 11. These movies won´t turn heads but they are the better versions of G Reco. Josee to Tora to Sakana-tachi is a total wild card. I´ll give it a chance. Golden Kamuy is also getting a 4th OVA.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi: Very impressed to see they kept the legendary opening in some capacity in this version of the show! Interesting to see the small changes from the original. I'll surmise that the original still holds a strong spot in my heart after re-watching most of it 2 years ago, but it'll be interesting to see how much more this one changes from the original. Hoping to get some curve balls and that the direction only gets stronger from here

A lot of good vibes from episode 1 of this one![/b]
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, you can only watch Higurashi for the first time once, so I'm not sold on watching a remake yet. I'll give it a shot, though.

That ending of Danmachi (which I assume is the opening normally) seems incredibly spoilerific.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
OK to the people reviewing TONIKAWA, please stop saying they are underage (I concur with most of the other comments about the show). The whole world does not suffer from the US's infantilism. In Japan, as in most of the world, the age of consent is 16 (oddly enough in most of Japan it is 18 for boys, but still 16 for girls). Additionally in Japan (as in the US before federal money forced everyone to jump on the 18 (21 for drinking and smoking) bandwagon), every state (prefecture) can set its own age of consent, so it is even below 16 in some (and, at least 7 years ago, some did not have one).
So while the show is below par in most (if not all) respects, it is about two legally consenting adults.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
OK to the people reviewing TONIKAWA, please stop saying they are underage (I concur with most of the other comments about the show). The whole world does not suffer from the US's infantilism. In Japan, as in most of the world, the age of consent is 16 (oddly enough in most of Japan it is 18 for boys, but still 16 for girls). Additionally in Japan (as in the US before federal money forced everyone to jump on the 18 (21 for drinking and smoking) bandwagon), every state (prefecture) can set its own age of consent, so it is even below 16 in some (and, at least 7 years ago, some did not have one).
So while the show is below par in most (if not all) respects, it is about two legally consenting adults.

Rolling Eyes
The adult that approves their marriage registration literally called them underage. Hence, why a signed consent from a guardian was necessary.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
It is very strange going from Hayate The Combat Butler, which opened with a girl misinterpreting the protagonist's intent to kidnap her as a confession of love, to TONIKAWA, which opens with a very sincere confession of love. It's very unorthodox for a show like this to immediately start with actual marriage, which I think is what's tripping up a lot of people. It's sudden and doesn't really make much sense, though I will say the series does settle pretty comfortably not too far in. To any naysayers, I'd give it at least 1-2 more episodes. It's pretty cozy.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
lhernan02 wrote:
OK to the people reviewing TONIKAWA, please stop saying they are underage ... So while the show is below par in most (if not all) respects, it is about two legally consenting adults.

Rolling Eyes
The adult that approves their marriage registration literally called them underage. Hence, why a signed consent from a guardian was necessary.

Interesting (I obviously was no longer paying that much attention by that time, didn't even make it past the 10 min mark). If that is so, then the law has changed in the past 7 years OR it is Hentai-syndrome - how a lot of girls in high school (or jr. high) uniforms were "university students" in the US sub/dub. Anyway, it wasn't anywhere near interesting enough for me to care, the emphasis on the underage part in the review just bothered me, but I will take your word for it that it was warranted (I am not about to rewatch it to see what they actually say).
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
10/10, where do I sign up for the mobile game pre-release?

It’s already out!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, baby, Jujutsu Kaisen is just my kind of thing. Slick, energetic, freaky, goofy comedy and characters I like. It's gonna be a good Fall.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:

Marriage at 18 and 16 is still on the young side in most first-world countries (which Japan is one), and there's no "infantilism" involved in pointing that out. I have personally known one girl who married at 16, and a handful of other cases of marrying at 18 or 19, but it's not common in the States because there isn't an economic or social need for it.

Actually, the mention that 18 and 16 are the minimum ages necessary makes that whole scenario even more suspicious, like Tsukasa specifically chose the minimum age to come to Nasa. Hmmm. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I almost gave Hypnosis Mic a pass because I'm not a rap fan nor am I a devout consumer of bishonen shows. But thanks to my almost pathalogical habit of sampling just about everything even if the description doesn't grab me, plus the enthusiasm of the previewers, I checked it out and my life is better for it. So much gaudy, stylish fun. I'm normally a sub only guy, but I am curious as to how the dub for this will turn out. And need I say that I too wish to live in a world where women with heroic chests manipulate society from the shadows???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14