• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Attack on Titan Producers Discuss Reason Behind Studio Change to MAPPA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Still doesn't make really clear why Wit studio didn't animate the final season. I'm confident that MAPPA will do a good job. But regardless it won't be 100% the same as Wit studio would've done it.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, the interview addresses how MBS has remained on the anime's production committee even after the broadcasting rights shifted to the NHK. Maeda said that MBS was not obligated to keep investing after selling off the rights to the earliest broadcast, but their sheer passion for the project overcame that business logic. Tateishi said that although the number of broadcasters increased with each season, he was the one who suggested broadcasting the anime on the NHK in order to reach as many people in Japan as possible. He was very surprised at MBS's decision to keep investing in an anime that would broadcast on another station. As a result, he feels greatly indebted to both the NHK and MBS.

This is what the hell I've been wondering. Dope of MBS to keep rockin with the show despite no longer broadcasting it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
As nice as all that sounded, I'm sure the real reason is that Wit had other projects and wasn't available, which is the more common reason this happens. I don't have any real concerns about MAPPA doing it, but I didn't see anything in the prior three seasons that made me think Wit couldn't "escalate" or whatever. But I suppose saying it was a creative choice sounds better than saying they wanted to proceed with or without Wit.
Kadenza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Still doesn't make really clear why Wit studio didn't animate the final season. I'm confident that MAPPA will do a good job. But regardless it won't be 100% the same as Wit studio would've done it.

Greed1914 wrote:
As nice as all that sounded, I'm sure the real reason is that Wit had other projects and wasn't available, which is the more common reason this happens. I don't have any real concerns about MAPPA doing it, but I didn't see anything in the prior three seasons that made me think Wit couldn't "escalate" or whatever. But I suppose saying it was a creative choice sounds better than saying they wanted to proceed with or without Wit.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1313792968130789377
It was due to poor scheduling, not because Wit had too much on their plate. I mean it's not a secret or anything, but the first 3 seasons were in a production hell. Wada even shamelessly boasted about it. The staff struggled to deliver the episodes on time, it was visually visible on screen, so I'm always baffled that fans are surprised about this fact.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime changing studios is usually due to scheduling. What generally happens is the production comittee wants the anime to be released at a certain time, and when the studio who originally worked on it cannot fit it into their schedule, it is moved to another studio. Very rarely will they wait for the studio, cause anime projects are greenlit years in advanced.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Telu wrote:
people who still confuse "artistic style" with "animation (movement)" I doubt very much that they even know how an anime is made.
That really annoys me. Someone will say they prefer an animation style, and I'm thinking they mean a certain way something is animated, only to find out much later they just mean the art style or character design.
zero-r

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Basically, since WIT wasn't willing or couldn't work on it (within the specific time-frame the main producers wanted) they (main producers) had to look for someone else, and out of all the big studios out there, they found out that the only one available (and willing) to take that task was MAPPA, simple as that...

This whole thing about series "changing studios" isn't new and seems to happens a lot (especially nowadays). For better or worse...
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
zero-r wrote:
Basically, since WIT wasn't willing or couldn't work on it (within the specific time-frame the main producers wanted) they (main producers) had to look for someone else, and out of all the big studios out there, they found out that the only one available (and willing) to take that task was MAPPA, simple as that...

This whole thing about series "changing studios" isn't new and seems to happens a lot (especially nowadays). For better or worse...

Wit and IG were two of those "main producers" you were speaking of. Both were on the production committee with Kodansha and MBS.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Chiyosuke wrote:
zero-r wrote:

Wit and IG were two of those "main producers" you were speaking of. Both were on the production committee with Kodansha and MBS.
WIT was never on the production committee for AoT.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:46 am Reply with quote
I'm not worried at all. Mappa has proven to be an excellent studio.
(On an unrelated note I am absolutely hoping that Mappa is animating Rose King.)
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
You'd think most studios would prioritize Attack on titan and jump at the opportunity to make it, being so popular so it would would probably make them a lot of money
Kadenza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
You'd think most studios would prioritize Attack on titan and jump at the opportunity to make it, being so popular so it would would probably make them a lot of money

The original studio abandoning it should tell you everything you need to know. It's not simply about the money, it's hellish and too demanding to bring this adaptation to life. Besides most of the money goes to the production committee, so it's not worth it for most studios.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Kadenza wrote:
-SP- wrote:

The original studio abandoning it should tell you everything you need to know. It's not simply about the money, it's hellish and too demanding to bring this adaptation to life. Besides most of the money goes to the production committee, so it's not worth it for most studios.

It just goes to show that animators get no respect. This business model that Japan is on is just plain unsustainable.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:56 am Reply with quote
What I’m getting is that WIT wouldn’t have been able to release it this year, which makes sense considering the gaps between seasons (especially between season 1 and 2). Mappa is a great studio, and I’m surprised that everyone involved is willing and able to start airing the show in December. It’s so unusual for a show to be released between seasons. I’m very curious about the length, and if it will be split cour, considering the manga has not quite ended yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1