• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Entertainment Partners With Penguin Random House for Sales, Distribution

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Entire *backlist* too? This is incredible news. There are so many out of print manga with ridiculous aftermarket prices I had to give up on until now.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
for me, the bigger piece of news is that they'll no longer be using Diamond for their manga distribution. Seven Seas is a not insignificant source of comics, so using their own distributor instead of the Diamond monopoly is a pretty big deal.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
@Merxamers

The article says they are changing from Macmillan (not Diamond) to Penguin Random House. Since the other manga publishers listed as carried by Penguin Random House are carried by Diamond, I doubt Seven Seas relationship to Diamond will change that much, if at all.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45

From their twitter post (https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1329874082981089280?s=20)

"For many years, Seven Seas books have been distributed by Macmillan, while our Ghost Ship line has been distributed by Diamond Comic Distributors. As of July 1st, 2021, our entire catalog will be distributed by one source: Penguin Random House Publisher Services (PRHPS)."

So at the very least, their Ghost Ship line was using Diamond.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
@Alan45

From their twitter post (https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1329874082981089280?s=20)

"For many years, Seven Seas books have been distributed by Macmillan, while our Ghost Ship line has been distributed by Diamond Comic Distributors. As of July 1st, 2021, our entire catalog will be distributed by one source: Penguin Random House Publisher Services (PRHPS)."

So at the very least, their Ghost Ship line was using Diamond.

That explains why their Ghost Ship titles have had such crappy distribution. My local Books-A-Million tends to shelve them, but they take forever to get the latest volumes in stock. Even Amazon always list GS titles as not being available until several days after their street date.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Hope this means that some of their older series with vanishing volumes will come back in stock. I put off buying the hanagi manga until it ended because to the train wreck garbage ending of the novel... now the manga is ending somewhat soon and a whole bunch of volumes are out of print -_-. I know there's digital but i want papppperrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Q4000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:59 am Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Entire *backlist* too? This is incredible news. There are so many out of print manga with ridiculous aftermarket prices I had to give up on until now.

VanGosroth wrote:
Hope this means that some of their older series with vanishing volumes will come back in stock.

I doubt changing distributors would improve availability of their back catalog if they (Seven Seas) don't increase prints in the first place.

I thought Diamond went almost bust after DC decided to dump them?
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:30 am Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:
I doubt changing distributors would improve availability of their back catalog if they (Seven Seas) don't increase prints in the first place.

You're probably right. I misunderstood what the press announcement meant by "backlist". Apparently it only covers a back catalog that is still in print. Ah well...
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:

I thought Diamond went almost bust after DC decided to dump them?

They took a hit for sure, but as long as they still have Marvel they'll be okay.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Selfishly, I’m wondering how this will affect Seven Seas’ availability on overstock sites like BookDiscount.com

I’m glad it will be better for the company, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1