• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest LE

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Jesus. What does it take for an 'F' grade?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I remember rather enjoying the atmosphere of the 1st half-episode or so of this, but then feeling like it fell off a cliff and into a weird power fantasy really suddenly.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I liked it alot....ended up buying this Limited edition Blu ray and also got me interested enough into the story so much so that im intending to buy up all the LNs(currently waiting to see if they will be part of any sales that may happen during the holiday season)
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Jesus. What does it take for an 'F' grade?

I don't know because I thought Psycho Pass season 2 was better than this and that got an F from this site.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
I don't know because I thought Psycho Pass season 2 was better than this and that got an F from this site.

Ultimately, it depends on the person writing the review. That's why/how Hand Shakers got a C grade from Theron Martin after scoring consistent Ds and Fs from James Beckett during its simulcast.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
It seems like anytime there's an anime/manga the other reviewers don't want to touch they just get Theron or Rebecca to review it.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Back when Arifureta was airing, its author put up feedback entries on his webnovel account asking viewers what they thought of each episode as they aired.

The general consensus from the Japanese fanbase was that the anime sucked pretty hard; that it cut out way too much info and fell below expectations (just as the reviewer here said).
Only a few said they were happy with it (and even then it came off as more of a take it or leave it thing).

However, this only strengthened the fanbase resolve to keep on supporting the light novels and manga, and some encouraged the author to not let the subpar anime adaptation bog him down.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory reminder that Arifureta was the lowest rated show of the season in China - and the most watched.

ALL HAIL SEASON TWO

Though yeah, I left my expectations for the show at the door when episode 1 cut out all of the stuff that actually made Arifureta a more interesting read than your usual isekai power fantasy.
tsog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Story was kinda interesting but that pacing was.... just wretched. Felt like show went off a cliff after the first arc (well, they did literally fall out of a cliff, but yeah).

I did end up buying the artbook by the original illustrator; that's about the only good thing I got out of this show.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
As someone who isn't familiar with the source material to compare it to I enjoyed it well enough. Definitely had problems, but I don't regret watching it and would watch a 2nd season.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely one of those average harem power fantasies you can enjoy by itself, which means it's laughably shallow when compared to the source material.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
It is nice that those who didn't read the light novels, want to now. That makes a little up tic from the dismal adaptation.

I am glad Arifureta got an anime, sad that it was a horrible adaptation and production. I did like the character designs, and it was nice to see them animated. Consolation prize I guess.

Everyone says there is a second season, but I have seen nothing new on that front.

I did buy the BD, just cause I love the franchise so much, just didn't like the anime. Wish the first production team had put some love into the franchise, instead of spending all the money, so it couldn't be fixed by the following team.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
This is interesting since the source material IMO also has pacing issues and being a staple harem power fantasy, has a story that can't really be called 'good.'

The thing is, when it's fun, the series gets really fun. So considering the LN, I kinda understand how the anime ended this way.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Will have to disagree about the light novel.

The anime decimated the light novel. So much was cut out of it, that the anime is merely a travelogue practically. Then add in all the production problems of the animation. The Opener is especially cringe worthy all by itself.
DanMatcha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
YMMV on the quality of the show itself, but I think it should have received an F for animation. The CGI looks like it came straight from the 90’s (e.g., Reboot and Beast Wars), and the 2D animation is really stiff as well. I would have also given the art a lower score. The pastel colors and the really thin, almost invisible lines on the characters are an eyesore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2