• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Shibuya Style

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
provided nothing else majorly newsworthy happens

*nervous laughing*

Yeah, it's not like it just came out hours before this week's TWIG that the Prince of Saudi Arabia just purchased 33.3% of SNK's shares, making him the "majority shareholder", i.e. he has the most shares owned by a single person/entity. Heidi just can't catch a break with news breaking on Thursdays, right?
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
On top of the console kerfuffle, PC graphics cards have also been pretty scarce, with both NVIDIA and AMD's new-generation cards selling out within minutes at launch only to wind up on eBay at outrageous markups. Not even the PC master race was able to escape the next-gen insanity this year.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
provided nothing else majorly newsworthy happens

*nervous laughing*

Yeah, it's not like it just came out hours before this week's TWIG that the Prince of Saudi Arabia just purchased 33.3% of SNK's shares, making him the "majority shareholder", i.e. he has the most shares owned by a single person/entity. Heidi just can't catch a break with news breaking on Thursdays, right?

Oh shit.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Disney is worse.
Their latest stunt involves buying the publishing right from a third party. Now they are refusing to pay the royalties to the author as, they say, they only bought the publishing rights, not the liabilities, so they don't have to pay royalties.
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty sure Disney is worse by a large margin. Asking a commercial tournament not to use an illegal hacked version of a game hardly puts them anywhere near Disney level. Not sure what America's obsession with Melee and trying to turn Smash into a competitive fighting game is, but I don't see how Nintendo is in the wrong here.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo is in the wrong because there’s no legal way to actually give them money for Melee these days anyway. If they had re-released it on Switch with online rollback net code then maybe they’d have SOME moral ground here.
But the only way to buy Melee is through acquiring it and a GameCube through second hand means.
All they’ve done is hurt a community that just loves and wants to play this 20 year old fighting game man. That’s all. No other company is this backwards and archaic with their communities.
Their reputation is absolutely as bad as Disney with repeated stunts like this.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:30 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Disney is worse.
Their latest stunt involves buying the publishing right from a third party. Now they are refusing to pay the royalties to the author as, they say, they only bought the publishing rights, not the liabilities, so they don't have to pay royalties.

Yeah, kinda hard to top that. Or Disney blacklisting the LA Times because they wrote an investigative piece on Iger years back and only rescinding when a ton of critics swore off reviewing Disney's movies. Nintendo's stuff can be annoying, but nowhere near on the level of "Gee, hate to be you when Satan comes to collect" which is also irritatingly common in the games industry (EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Konami, CDPR, etc)

But anyway, I'm just going to vegetate with Age of Calamity.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
On top of the console kerfuffle, PC graphics cards have also been pretty scarce, with both NVIDIA and AMD's new-generation cards selling out within minutes at launch only to wind up on eBay at outrageous markups. Not even the PC master race was able to escape the next-gen insanity this year.

The sad thing is that the scalper problem is actually pretty easy to resolve when you think about it: never buy anything from them at insanely marked-up prices.... or, well, at all. Unfortunately, that (in)action demands something out of people that are in short supply these days, and getting shorter by the minute: patience.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Nintendo is in the wrong because there’s no legal way to actually give them money for Melee these days anyway. If they had re-released it on Switch with online rollback net code then maybe they’d have SOME moral ground here.

Pirating out of print works is still piracy. Whether you consider it "acceptable" or not is up to you as an individual. It's the same discussion as anime and manga piracy has, only it tends to be more accepting in video game circles on average.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:

Oh we'll get ours like we always do Wink

wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
That's... your stock? I'm not mad or anything, just sort of disappointed in humanity. Congratulations on coming in here to show off and be... whatever you are, I guess. Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:

That's... your stock? I'm not mad or anything, just sort of disappointed in humanity. Congratulations on coming in here to show off and be... whatever you are, I guess. Confused

Lol my friends and I are just good at alternate means....................... and persistent Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1