• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Moon Super Poll Crowns Sailor Uranus as Fan-Favorite

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Surprising, but good! Wish La Soldier was in the Top 5 and some other episodes got in. Only nitpick is that I'm not a fan of separating characters and their forms. Would have increased with more surprises.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised Sailor Moon didn't win first place but if you look back at some of the old polls in the 90s, there were several Animage polls where Haruka Tenoh placed first though Sailor Uranus was usually more like tenth or twelfth place. I'm surprised Michiru Kaioh was more popular than Saturn as it least in Western fandom it always seemed like Michiru was regarded as the more "boring" of the Outers as a lot of fans considered her to be too perfect. But I love Neptune so I'm glad to see Michiru's civilian form at least do so well. I'm surprised Minako beat Ami as the number one of the Inners that isn't Sailor Moon but Sailor V was pretty popular when the manga first came out so it makes some sense. I'm surprised to see Fisheye as the most popular villain as it always seemed like for years SuperS was the least popular season.

I was expecting one of the bigger legacy villains like Beryl to win and I'm surprised Galaxia did so low given how iconic Mitsuko Horie is. It's also a shock that Seiya is more popular than Mamoru as I recall in the older polls of the 90s Mamoru and Tuxedo Mask tended to place pretty highly. Tuxedo Mask was fourth favorite male character in the 93 Animage poll. I also recall Sailor Stars having the lowest ratings when it aired in Japan and the episode Usagi and Seiya's Nervous Date was actually the lowest watched episode in it's initial broadcast. I'm surprised Naru ranked so low even though episode 24 ranked so high. Rashiku Ikimasho is my favorite Sailor Moon ED so I'm glad it made number six. Did this poll only cover the anime and not the live action versions? I would have liked to have seen how the Myu and PGSM songs ranked. Sailor Stars Song is my favorite overall so I'm glad it made it to number 5. It really shows how the 90s anime eclipses Crystal that no Crystal episodes made the top ten.

I wish some more of the comedy episodes like the Rhett Butler episode or age switch episode of SuperS made it to give the top ten episodes more variety. I'm glad to see that the R movie is still considered the best Sailor Moon media in existence. For a point of comparison with Western fans, the blog Tuxedo Unmasked did an online poll. It's more limited in scope than this mega poll but it's interesting to compare Western fans with Japanese fandom. According to the Tuxedo Unmasked poll, Usagi is the number one Sailor Guardian who took this poll and Makoto Kino was second place. https://www.tuxedounmasked.com/sailor-moon-fandom-2020-survey-results/
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Uranus isn't my favorite, but she's a really cool character so it's nice to see this result. Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Huh, was the R movie that good? It's been so long since I saw it but I don't recall it leaving much of an impression. I should rewatch it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Huh, was the R movie that good? It's been so long since I saw it but I don't recall it leaving much of an impression. I should rewatch it.
It's a lot of fans' first exposure to Ikuhara and it does a good job of presenting all the classic themes of the show in a compact and exciting story with some impressive animation and you've got to love Moon Revenge. I was really lucky I got to see it in theaters which I never thought I would get to.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:23 am Reply with quote
I think fan preferences have changed over the years, especially as kids who grew up watching or reading Sailor Moon have grow up. Also, I think Western fans have quite different preferences and exposure to Sailor Moon than Japanese fans, since for many people in Japan this was a show they knew as a child, while the show came a bit later to the West. Case in point is the SuperS season, which had a lot of toy tie-ins in Japan, but none in the US in the 90’s. So people in Japan may look back more fondly on that season as they had played with the toys when they were little, while US viewers only had the anime itself to consume (and that’s if they could find it, since it took years before anything beyond the Black Moon arc aired on TV), and so judged it based on the show alone.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:33 am Reply with quote
Unexpected results, but I myself must admit that as I grew older, Haruka design-wise became probably my most favorite Senshi, simple due to her tomboy look, which I, years ago, if I remember correctly disliked.

Overall, change in favorites kinda reminds me how nowadays, when it comes to Evangelion series, it seems that more people like Asuka more than Rei, despite Rei being the face of the series.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
I think fan preferences have changed over the years, especially as kids who grew up watching or reading Sailor Moon have grow up. Also, I think Western fans have quite different preferences and exposure to Sailor Moon than Japanese fans, since for many people in Japan this was a show they knew as a child, while the show came a bit later to the West. Case in point is the SuperS season, which had a lot of toy tie-ins in Japan, but none in the US in the 90’s. So people in Japan may look back more fondly on that season as they had played with the toys when they were little, while US viewers only had the anime itself to consume (and that’s if they could find it, since it took years before anything beyond the Black Moon arc aired on TV), and so judged it based on the show alone.

Maybe it's just anecdotal, but the only time I ever see Sailor Moon talked about anymore in English speaking communities is usually either Ikuhara fans or Uranus/Neptune fans. I suppose at a distant third would be people nostalgic for childhood memories and the old DIC dub. I wonder if it's a similar situation in Japan. I remember reading how characters like Ami/Mercury were the most popular back in the day in the otaku magazines, but those fans might have left the fandom and moved on to other shows and waifus, while leaving behind the more dedicated Haruka/Uranus fans to take over in the 23 years since the show ended.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:29 am Reply with quote
I'm happy Uranus got the top spot (as she should)!
skyechan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
6. "Raiku" Ikimasho" by Meu

Typo! Song name is "Rashiku" Ikimasho.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote
Given the popularity of prince-like girls, I'm not surprised to see Sailor Uranus at the top! Very Happy

But I am shocked that the Sailor Moon Super S movie wasn't in the top 10. It's actually my favorite among the films at least.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
Given the popularity of prince-like girls, I'm not surprised to see Sailor Uranus at the top! Very Happy

But I am shocked that the Sailor Moon Super S movie wasn't in the top 10. It's actually my favorite among the films at least.

I could argue that Haruka was a prince-like character, but I doubt her popularity is directly related to that. Her and Michiru's cult status has always been multifaceted and not primarily related to appearance.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
mangaka-chan wrote:

Maybe it's just anecdotal, but the only time I ever see Sailor Moon talked about anymore in English speaking communities is usually either Ikuhara fans or Uranus/Neptune fans. I suppose at a distant third would be people nostalgic for childhood memories and the old DIC dub. I wonder if it's a similar situation in Japan. I remember reading how characters like Ami/Mercury were the most popular back in the day in the otaku magazines, but those fans might have left the fandom and moved on to other shows and waifus, while leaving behind the more dedicated Haruka/Uranus fans to take over in the 23 years since the show ended.

Well, it depends on whether the perspective is short or long. In the long run, the contributions of Ikuhara or Haruka and Michiru undoubtedly had a greater impact on the franchise and anime fandom in general than just the show's popular characters. For example, even now it is often heard that Haruka and Michiru are the most legendary yuri ships in anime history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1