• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Season 01 (1st half): Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (TV)
Season 01 (2nd half): Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (TV 2)
Season 02 (1st half): Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II (TV 3)
Season 02 (2nd half): Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II (TV 4)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 26 volumes, written by Rifujin na Magonote, illustrated by Shirotaka)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio Bind

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, psychological, romance

Themes: anthropomorphs, aristocracy, coming-of-age, demi-humans, ecchi, elves, factions, gods, harem, isekai, medieval, monsters, reincarnation, school, sorcery, spirits, swordplay, tragedy

Plot Summary: A 34-year-old virgin NEET who is kicked out of his house when he runs out of money. He's regretting his life, then suddenly killed in a traffic accident, and reborn in another world full of swords and sorcery. As a newborn baby, he resolves to live his life without regrets and make the best of his knowledge from his previous life. While developing his skills in magic, he meets a small girl who is a magic tutor, and a beautiful quarter-elf with green hair.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01 (1st half): January 10, 2021 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Hulu

Season 01 (2nd half): October 3, 2021 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Hulu

Season 02 (1st half): July 2, 2023 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02 (2nd half): April 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 23 episodes
Season 02: Pending
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Aye, truck-kun strikes again. I remember reading the novel a long time ago and Rudy is pretty much how I had expected him to be like in the anime. First episode is kinda entertaining but not a big fan of his personality.

Roxy stands out more as one of the other characters, hope to see more of her for the season. As far as the animation looks, I really hope the studio can keep up the budget. I'm also not sure how many episodes this show will have exactly for the first part but it's a split-cour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote
Really could do without him being a pervert. Don't at all need to hear about an adult man in a baby's body talking about how hot his new mum is, nor creeping out his maid by wearing her underwear on his head. Or indeed his first reaction to his new teacher where he just has to talk about whether she has pubic hair. Goss!

If the source material is some grandfather of the isekai genre, is it the one that brought in all the horrid and demeaning parts?

The production though is just soo good, to look at it was delightful. Ignoring certain aspects I might bring some comparisons the Bookworm anime in regards to a first episode of an isekai anime trying to figure out their new setting. It is the worst that it has to ruin it pretty much the main character's personality, a complete flip to how enjoyable the heroine from the spider isekai anime is, where even her perhaps hints of negative aspects are entertaining. I will probably plan on still watching this show, but I can't imagine a full redemption of our lead unless he took a total 180 in being against the perversion he displayed in this episode, but I don't see that happening.

And this is coming from an enby who still loves Interspecies Reviewers. There is a time way to handle some perviness, and it is not a toddler knowingly wearing someone's dirty panties on their head.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Why does this show have to be so fantastic with presentation, when other parts have to be so icky. The icky part of this episode being that Rudeus was stripping his friend Sylphy before learning that Sylphy is actually Sylphiette, and we get a description of how he did not see the expected bits. It does feel extra gross with the hints that he was a lolicon/pedophile in his previous life.

The whole thing starts gross in how he tried to strip his friend regardless of gender. Then he gets weird about her apparently having girl parts, and even tells her that she should grow out her hair, because it is something like her fault for not presenting femininely. The dialogue through the episode already pointed to him thinking she was cute, I would have been perfectly fine if she really was just a guy that Rudeus thought was attractive. And regardless not have any changes to relationship dynamic because maybe these forced ideas of gender relations are silly.

Also do if there were distinctions made about Rudeus not just mentally his adult self.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:54 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 3

Why does this show have to be so fantastic with presentation, when other parts have to be so icky.

Seems to be the theme with every episode so far...
I have to say though, this episode addressed something I'm not sure I've ever seen in anime before... A cheating husband with his wife and maid both pregnant with his kids. The wife understandable hurt and confused. The maid in a difficult spot as well. Maybe it was just this shows way of making sure we have an awkwardly in our face scene of horny characters again thinking about sex...which the way this show throws in these moments with interesting storytelling in other moments is still odd to me. It still feels hard to define this show...
or figure out where it's going.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:11 am Reply with quote
This show is simply put, super repellent by Ep 4. Any good will or good graces it earns are thrown out the window. I Just don't know how or why people want to defend this.

Like, yes, I'm sure they get "better" later, but in this day and age of having to allocate time to entertainment, you can't waste time waiting for a show to get better. It has to be getting better right in front of your eyes.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
You've watched 4 episodes of it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, so Paul is scum. Kind of feels worse that the internal monologue we got from Lilia was that she thinks that she is entirely responsible for seducing Paul, like Paul apparently has no agency because against seeing his employee naked and just has to go in and sex her. But according to later in the episode Paul raped her while she was asleep when they were younger, and it is almost like something quirky instead a huge blemish that this man should not have been given a position of power over her.

To say nothing about the other parts of the episode that including him trying to sexualise the relationship between Rudy and Sylphy, when they are like 7. Rudy's own manipulations of his mother are also kind of gross.
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:26 am Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
This show is simply put, super repellent by Ep 4. Any good will or good graces it earns are thrown out the window. I Just don't know how or why people want to defend this.

Like, yes, I'm sure they get "better" later, but in this day and age of having to allocate time to entertainment, you can't waste time waiting for a show to get better. It has to be getting better right in front of your eyes.

What are you even talking about, no one on this certain thread HAS defended it, if anything they are bashing it, so why are you even bringing it up? Also that entire last statement, the absolute impatience of it. If you really believe what you said, by this point you should give up on the show. Though I won't be surprised if you continue to hate watch it and come here to moan about how you just can't understand why people like it.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Yeah, so Paul is scum. Kind of feels worse that the internal monologue we got from Lilia was that she thinks that she is entirely responsible for seducing Paul, like Paul apparently has no agency because against seeing his employee naked and just has to go in and sex her. But according to later in the episode Paul raped her while she was asleep when they were younger, and it is almost like something quirky instead a huge blemish that this man should not have been given a position of power over her.

To say nothing about the other parts of the episode that including him trying to sexualise the relationship between Rudy and Sylphy, when they are like 7. Rudy's own manipulations of his mother are also kind of gross.

Yeah, that whole rape thing completely sunk him to me. The first part where she straight up says she seduced him, all I thought was it takes two to tango, your not entirely responsible, but you are not innocent either. Them throwing in her masturbating and explaining how she had pent up urges, she sure is entirely responsible for doing what she said. It seems Paul is an absolute lecherous man and it is not a secret, so she used a bait the stupid fish would take. Then they threw in the rape thing and I just threw up my hands. You have that first part that, in my opinion, is absolutely a gray area where both parties could have done something different, but didn't and both are at fault and have to deal with the consequences. That second part, unless there is something about it that we don't know, is completely repugnant.

The manipulation with the mother is gross, but it seemed if he hadn't done what he did, Lilia would have left and her baby would have died. With her not being completely innocent in this situation, his mother had every right to throw her out. Rudy straight lied to completely make it out that Paul was in the wrong completely and Lilia was set upon by him against her will. This allowed his mother a way out of the situation of throwing Lilia out, while at the same time making sure Paul knows he will be paying for this for a while. It is a tactic that has been used again and again in history in many situations small and large. Again it is gross because using it at the personal level that he did makes it so grimy.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
Pretty much all the household is sex-driven at this point (even Roxy when she stayed there). It was obvious that the father would have an affair with the maid and probably also with some house wives from the neighbourhood.

I don't get the hate about the show because the MC is obviously gross and written to be disturbing to the readers. Wanting every entertainment show to have characters with high moral values is kind of surprising. Moral characters are often boring and uninteresting...

Vegeta genociding planets in DBZ didn't prevent him to become a likable character afterwards.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
I guess the main difference between this and Redo of Healer is that this show has some redeeming elements amongst the ick whereas Redo doesn't. Big win for Jobless! I'd love to go just one episode of this without being grossed out but I don't think it's gonna happen.

I didn't understand something around the Lilia cheating situation. Everybody just took it for granted she'd have to stay around to help with Zenith's pregnancy to the end and then leave after her own baby was born which was seen as a death sentence for both. Um, why couldn't she have left immediately well before her child was due? I'm sure the family could have gotten a new maid for Paul to screw.
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I didn't understand something around the Lilia cheating situation. Everybody just took it for granted she'd have to stay around to help with Zenith's pregnancy to the end and then leave after her own baby was born which was seen as a death sentence for both. Um, why couldn't she have left immediately well before her child was due? I'm sure the family could have gotten a new maid for Paul to screw.

Why do they even have a maid anyways with the size of the house and the little plot of land it is on? Zenith doesn't seem like she's a lay about, so why do they even need a servant? Maybe the books have the reason, but just viewing the anime alone this explains nothing for the situation and does nothing but raise these kind of questions. I would like answers, but by the end of the 4th episode, it doesn't feel like we will get them.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
@zatheus

Im not accusing anyone in this thread (where have I accused anyone here? I don't see it), it's in the other threads where people are going out of their way to defend Rudy's actions and just anyone who's like "oh this is realistic" like, no it's not. And people are defending Paul's actions like he's some redeemable individual when no, once you open up that he was a rapist, there is no going back from there.

Also, I do believe in what I said, because it's true. so much anime comes out every year, and if you aren't good enough, then people will absolutely just drop it and go back to a show that does this thing better. Multiple anime have come out whether through digital streaming or blu ray that have flopped because people just did not want them due to their mediocre storytelling or some other reason.

Also, I'm watching the show for a project for a podcast, if I wasn't doing that, I would absolutely have dropped it by the third episode.

Last edited by camseyeview140 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I guess the main difference between this and Redo of Healer is that this show has some redeeming elements amongst the ick whereas Redo doesn't. Big win for Jobless! I'd love to go just one episode of this without being grossed out but I don't think it's gonna happen.

This show isn't about revenge rape or torture. At the moment, there isn't even violence... What's the point of this comparison ?

zatheus wrote:
Why do they even have a maid anyways with the size of the house and the little plot of land it is on? Zenith doesn't seem like she's a lay about, so why do they even need a servant?

Maybe Lilia was looking for a job and Paul took her as maid because he felt guilty. But it was indeed strange to have a maid with a house this size.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
Snowcat wrote:
This show isn't about revenge rape or torture. At the moment, there isn't even violence... What's the point of this comparison ?

If you've watched 4 episodes of this show and haven't identified anything that somebody might find objectionable there is no point me trying to explain it to you. Just understand that people have different levels of tolerance for things. All I can tell you is that both Redo and Jobless have attracted a lot of negative attention at ANN for the behaviour/attitude of their MCs, so it's not like I'm off in La-la Land here. Also, if you are going to bother responding to other posters - and want to have a constructive conversation - it would be great to adopt a less strident tone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5