• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Horimiya Sets New Record For Most-Watched Debut Romantic Comedy Premiere on MyAnimeList

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising it has been one of the most popular romance manga for years now, I'm surprised it just recently got an anime.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, not surprising given the popularity of the manga. As for "just recently" getting an anime, there was the Hori-san to Miyamura-kun OVA a while back.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
GainaxFanboy wrote:
Not surprising it has been one of the most popular romance manga for years now, I'm surprised it just recently got an anime.

I just said the same thing in the preview guide. It always struck me as odd given it's popularity that it had not gotten an anime until now. Thankfully it did finally get it's turn, and even better the series (so far) is actually really good as well. I think romcoms are one of the genres that can suffer the most in terms of quality when comparing the anime to the source material. A lot of times the actual animation fails to convey some of the nuances of the show and characters that make the manga, or light novels, popular. Or they cut out far too much of the important parts and just focus on the humor or gags.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Yeah, not surprising given the popularity of the manga. As for "just recently" getting an anime, there was the Hori-san to Miyamura-kun OVA a while back.

Speaking of, any reason to watch the OVA at this point with the new series starting?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Not especially, outside of the novelty of seeing how a different team animated a bit of the story.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Now that this anime have lot of buzz from fans, Funimation should dub this anime to capitalize the popularity, if its not getting dub then Funimation was too stupid to not dub popular anime that have lots of recognition and good reception. the Problem is that many of the popular anime including this genre like Romcom not dubbed yet or never getting a dub at all.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Now that this anime have lot of buzz from fans, Funimation should dub this anime to capitalize the popularity, if its not getting dub then Funimation was too stupid to not dub popular anime that have lots of recognition and good reception. the Problem is that many of the popular anime including this genre like Romcom not dubbed yet or never getting a dub at all.

Although Horimiya is probably has a better chance than some shows of getting dubbed, "popularity" isn't the sole deciding factor. Funimation has access to the streaming numbers and can tell which shows are likely to gain money from dubbing (from bringing in more streaming views and home video sales), and which are likely to lose money if dubbed. Mere numbers on MAL aren't a solid indicator, given the heavy pro-piracy/anti-industry leanings of the MAL userbase. Many of its users live outside of Funimation's relevant markets, as well.

Back in the late 2000s, distributors licensed and dubbed anime in part based on their online popularity in the torrent download scene. Almost everything that came out on DVD was dubbed, and it eventually led to disaster -- the torrent download numbers didn't translate to sales, and some titles didn't even make enough money to recover dubbing costs, let alone licensing costs. Since several companies nearly or completely went out of business with that approach, today's distributors aren't keen on repeating those mistakes.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
For me Horimiya is the romantic comedy of season. For years I waited for this.

I would love to see how would be the reception of Komi-san wa, Komyushō desu looking how popular it is. I hope to see a anime adaptation in the future.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Not especially, outside of the novelty of seeing how a different team animated a bit of the story.

Thanks Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1