• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Eternal Anime Films' Theme Song Music Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Has it been confirmed where/when the movies will be streaming in America? I heard the rumor
Netflix might have gotten the rights?
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:
Has it been confirmed where/when the movies will be streaming in America? I heard the rumor Netflix might have gotten the rights?

There's no official confirmation on who has the international distribution rights for the 2 Eternal movies yet. Netflix is everyone's best guess because of a now deleted Instagram post from the English VA for Hawk's Eye. He's in a recording studio with a screen showing a scene from the Eternal movie and the text, "property of Netflix". People's best guess is that both movies will be released some time after the second movie comes out in Japan, or possibly a couple months after that to give the theaters time to earn a revenue. With pressure from the pandemic you might think Toei would put it out on streaming sooner, but I think the theaters in Japan, like theaters the world over, really need the revenue that new films bring in to stay afloat.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
People's best guess is that both movies will be released some time after the second movie comes out in Japan, or possibly a couple months after that to give the theaters time to earn a revenue. With pressure from the pandemic you might think Toei would put it out on streaming sooner, but I think the theaters in Japan, like theaters the world over, really need the revenue that new films bring in to stay afloat.

I know there is a LOT of people think they will get it within the next few weeks or something crazy soon simply based on their personal wish to see the film as soon as possible. But just like what you said, there are a lot of factors fans are not considering. Realistically, the Violet Evergarden route is the best case scenario.

If they want a chance to get a better share of the revenue, maybe go for a summer North American theatrical release. Digital at the end of the year (2021)?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

I know there is a LOT of people think they will get it within the next few weeks or something crazy soon simply based on their personal wish to see the film as soon as possible. But just like what you said, there are a lot of factors fans are not considering. Realistically, the Violet Evergarden route is the best case scenario.

If they want a chance to get a better share of the revenue, maybe go for a summer North American theatrical release. Digital at the end of the year (2021)?
I highly doubt it's going to be a theatrical release. We don't have an official announcement yet but all the signs are pointing towards Netflix. It was listed briefly on the official SAG-AFTRA union site before being taken down. As mentioned before, the Viz dub VA for Hawkseye also accidentally made an Instragram post that had him doing voice recording for Eternal with a TV in the background that said "Property of Netflix" on it. It's not just the Hawkseye VA, but there have also been comments from international sources, like the Spanish dub VA for Tuxedo Mask thanked Netflix for allowing him to return to the role for the movie recently on Facebook before deleting it. Netflix is all but guaranteed at this point. But Netflix releases are almost never simultaneous with the Japanese release and if it's truly a global release, it's likely taking time for Toei to work out all the license contracts and for all the foreign dubs to be produced to be dropped at the same time. Most likely we'll probably get Eternal in spring at the earliest and maybe sometime in summer at the if not then. Things are not going to be better for North American theatrical releases by the end of the year. Even with the roll out for the vaccine, it's going to take time for everyone to receive it and then take time for the herd immunity effects to kick in, hence why most concerts and con events are still being delayed in 2021 as well.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I highly doubt it's going to be a theatrical release. We don't have an official announcement yet but all the signs are pointing towards Netflix. It was listed briefly on the official SAG-AFTRA union site before being taken down. As mentioned before, the Viz dub VA for Hawkseye also accidentally made an Instragram post that had him doing voice recording for Eternal with a TV in the background that said "Property of Netflix" on it. It's not just the Hawkseye VA, but there have also been comments from international sources, like the Spanish dub VA for Tuxedo Mask thanked Netflix for allowing him to return to the role for the movie recently on Facebook before deleting it. Netflix is all but guaranteed at this point. But Netflix releases are almost never simultaneous with the Japanese release and if it's truly a global release, it's likely taking time for Toei to work out all the license contracts and for all the foreign dubs to be produced to be dropped at the same time. Most likely we'll probably get Eternal in spring at the earliest and maybe sometime in summer at the if not then. Things are not going to be better for North American theatrical releases by the end of the year. Even with the roll out for the vaccine, it's going to take time for everyone to receive it and then take time for the herd immunity effects to kick in, hence why most concerts and con events are still being delayed in 2021 as well.

I agree on all counts. I'm honestly really surprised they're doing a theatrical release for the Kimetsu no Yaiba movie in North America, but maybe because it did so darn well in Japan, Aniplex of America might be hedging their bets on this movie drawing people into theaters. SME on the other hand, opened at #9 in Japan. It's possible for it to go higher as the weeks go by, but I think that's highly unlikely.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I’m willing to wait.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:45 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:

I agree on all counts. I'm honestly really surprised they're doing a theatrical release for the Kimetsu no Yaiba movie in North America, but maybe because it did so darn well in Japan, Aniplex of America might be hedging their bets on this movie drawing people into theaters. SME on the other hand, opened at #9 in Japan. It's possible for it to go higher as the weeks go by, but I think that's highly unlikely.
I don't think it has anything to do with Demon Slayer's popularity but Aniplex in general has been very reluctant about putting their movies up for streaming even before the pandemic and they've been pretty reckless about playing the Heaven's Feel movies in US theaters during all this mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1