• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Deadly Sins Anime Gets All-New Original Sequel Film This Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Prisoners of the Sky a failure at the box office and that was the reason A-1 Pictures and Aniplex gave up on it and the project was continued by a studio that lowered the quality of the series? Why do they think this will work?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
#836735 wrote:
Wasn't Prisoners of the Sky a failure at the box office and that was the reason A-1 Pictures and Aniplex gave up on it and the project was continued by a studio that lowered the quality of the series? Why do they think this will work?

Yeah, not sure how to feel about this considering what happened with the last movie for this franchise. Sounds like it'll be an epilogue film of sorts?

I guess with a movie budget the animation will likely look better.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well being better than the first movie won't be much of a high bar to pass so maybe they could create something pretty decent.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah it is weird they are investing in another stand alone film considering the first one was a failure, i guess they still deem a worthwhile venture.[/u]
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote
I don't the last movie was necessarily a failure. It just wasn't the massive hit that Aniplex wanted, especially given the promotion. They probably figured that despite the last film not doing as well as expected, it probably did make some decent money. The amount of money it made from box office was actually decent, but it probably just didn't have the impact on manga sales and merch they wanted.

This movie will probably be lower-budget and not on the same scale as the last movie, given they're announcing it around 6 months before release, whereas the last movie was announced a little over a year before release.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
#836735 wrote:

That's a fan-originated rumor, and the way I see it, this new movie announcement just disproved it. I think it's more likely that A-1 Pictures didn't work on the last two seasons because it was too busy with other projects.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
#836735 wrote:

That's a fan-originated rumor, and the way I see it, this new movie announcement just disproved it. I think it's more likely that A-1 Pictures didn't work on the last two seasons because it was too busy with other projects.

It's not exactly a rumour, but the way it was worded made people misconstrue what happened. First of all, Aniplex did indeed leave the production committee, who own A-1 Pictures. A-1 would not just simply be able to just leave with Aniplex there. If A-1 were too busy, Aniplex would've transferred the project to another Aniplex-owned studio, such as CloverWorks, and/or hire another studio (that may not be affiliated with Aniplex) to help.

Preparations were already put in place for the third season. A-1 were already booked in by Aniplex (likely at least a year in advanced). So A-1 would've been prepared for it, and Aniplex wouldn't just mindlessly dump extra projects on them at the same time whey were supposed to work on season 3.

This is also why season 3 turned out so badly; because they had everything ready to go, and right before they were ready to start production, Aniplex left, so they had scramble to find a replacement studio, and whoever got it would've had to produce the season with very very little time and basically little to pre-production or proper preparation.

This is also why season 4 looks much better now (not as good as the A-1 days, but nowhere near as bad as it was in season 3), because studio DEEN actually had time to prepare this time around. A-1 weren't really working on that much at that time anyway (compared to how much they usually do), and if they really were super busy, they wouldn't transfer it to a studio who wouldn't have the time to work on it, cause even if A-1 were busy, it would've looked better than any studio who would've taken it, cause they would have very little time to work on it, and basically no time to prepare.

But as for the reason Aniplex bailed? That is the part that's unclear. Although what is clear when you look at the box office numbers, the movie did not 'bomb'. But of course, not that many people actually care to check it, so people just assume it bombed, because of what happened with season 3. Anyway, it likely just didn't just live up to Aniplex's expectations, or it didn't impact sales of other stuff in the franchise (manga, blu-rays, merch etc).
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched the DEEN adaptations yet so did they change anything that one wouldn't also consider this a manga canon movie being animated since the mangaka is creating the story?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Seven Deadly Sins is one of the best manga/anime projects ever in the genre, I could only dream that there would be more products like this. So yes, I am consuming all of it, be it films or OVAs or whatever (except for compilations, live adaptations etc). Let's hope this instalment will be as great (though not perfect, obviously) as everything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1