• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Days of Love at Seagull Villa GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Gave this one a shot, but I probably won't continue reading it. It's an interesting premise--or one that would usually be straight romance, anyway--but the plot felt sort of messy, and some parts were just... odd. The mistaken-for-suicidal gag at the beginning was seemingly an excuse to have a lengthy bathing-service scene immediately afterward (since they both fell in the ocean), and I don't know what to make of the scene where Ashima suddenly makes out with her half-sister and blames it on being "the daughter of a prostitute." Is that supposed to be internalized homophobia, or just the NTR author's tendencies showing?

I can't help comparing it to Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow, which has the same basic idea of "city girl moves to small town and meets country girl" but is better in basically every way, besides the ubiquitous cliche-setting of high school. More nuanced characters than "one is shy and the other's outgoing," more coherent story, better/cleaner art, and no blatant fanservice or weird fetishy shock scenes.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's not Kodama Naoko without boobs and some weird shit.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:00 am Reply with quote
Sorry but the backstory thing is so cliche.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I actually ordered volume 1 with my recent manga bundle purchase. I like the setting, and it seems that the series might have some promise and is just getting a bit of a slower start. Which I don't mind in series that take the more serious and longer route when fleshing out a new relationship. I actually got this and 3 other new yuri title volume 1's. See which ones I continue on with.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
The setting did really win me over - it's very true to my experience of living on an island. I'll definitely be giving this a second volume to see where it goes; I don't entirely trust Kodama Naoko as a creator, but this really does have potential.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Plus I love that it's another title that is not about high school girls!!!!!! I love the old bread and butter setting for yuri titles, but it's just nice to have fresh takes that are not simply centered on school girls. Those just tend to blend together after a bit, like many sub-genres or tropes within romcoms. At least for me they do. This one was on my radar along with Our Teachers Are Dating (school setting yes, but at least it's about the adult teachers). I also might check out Goodbye My Rose Garden, and the upcoming Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon manga. Maybe I'll get lucky and you'll do a review on that one too.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:00 am Reply with quote
Goodbye, My Rose Garden is ABSOLUTELY worth it. I haven't read volume three (the final one) yet, but I was so impressed by the first two that unless aliens land in the final I can't imagine that it could ruin the series. And I'm not just saying that because the creator obviously did her 19th century homework and even references Sarah Orne Jewett. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1