• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Failure Frame LN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like an interesting take. Thanks for the review.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I've been really enjoying the WN and the polished LN is high on my to-buy list. It looks like characterization (at least in this volume) is improved quite a bit. In the WN a lot of the characters spoiler[seem to devolve more into pure tropes than people themselves, especially what I think of as the "Bad 3"; the "King", his punchy underling, and the narcissist nerd]. Whether that is down purely to the influence of the goddess I don't know, but living without the constraints of societal morals certainly has a factor on that I think. I'm looking forward to seeing what development the LN gives Sogou, Kobato, and especially the twins; from what I understand, those two in particular get a much more pronounced role in the published work.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
Seven Seas licensing this was kinda surprising. It was also a surprisingly easy and enjoyable read.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
Nice review as usual, Rebecca, but one line piqued my interest "the illustrator has apparently never seen a real woman."
Just based on the cover, it is not the worst affront to nature I have seen in Japanese graphics (I would even call it "normal"). Yes, the torso appears too short and the legs too long, but that could be perspective (shooting the subject from below) and as far as breasts, even a B cup could be pushed up and out to look like that (uncomfortable as all get out, I agree, but possible).
I was just wondering what inventive view of the human form got you to specifically call out this LN?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:45 am Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
Nice review as usual, Rebecca, but one line piqued my interest "the illustrator has apparently never seen a real woman."
Just based on the cover, it is not the worst affront to nature I have seen in Japanese graphics (I would even call it "normal"). Yes, the torso appears too short and the legs too long, but that could be perspective (shooting the subject from below) and as far as breasts, even a B cup could be pushed up and out to look like that (uncomfortable as all get out, I agree, but possible).
I was just wondering what inventive view of the human form got you to specifically call out this LN?

Fair question! It was the interior illustrations more than the cover - when we see her head-on in those (color and black and whites), her breasts are barely attached and in the wrong place and her entire crotch area is basically carved out, as if the illustrator thought that vulvas are entirely interior with no exterior component. The cover, I agree, is uncomfortable but generally possible. It's those inside illustrations that made me make the comment.

On the whole, though, I was really pleasantly surprised by this book. The author mentions in the afterword that character development is a major goal with this series, and that definitely shows.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Fair question! It was the interior illustrations more than the cover - when we see her head-on in those (color and black and whites), her breasts are barely attached and in the wrong place and her entire crotch area is basically carved out, as if the illustrator thought that vulvas are entirely interior with no exterior component. The cover, I agree, is uncomfortable but generally possible. It's those inside illustrations that made me make the comment.

Thanks for the prompt reply, sounds like Picasso territory. Luckily character designs are not a deal breaker with LNs as they are with manga. So it is still worth reading, just with a minor caveat that should not really affect anyone's enjoyment.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
BTW. The main character's name IIRC is Mimori Touka, not Minami.

Adding a bit about the illustrations, IMO it has a 'the artist is still practicing digital drawing' feel. It does look strange, but it isn't particularly distracting.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I must say that the art caught my attention. The artist drew the oppai in such a way that grabs someones attention and just wants more. I'm interested in seeing this animated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1