• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Release Baki Anime on Home Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I have liked the newer series more than the older version Funi released several years ago. Better animation and more consistently entertaining fight sequences.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hope they got the Netflix dub
JonDoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:50 am Reply with quote
Nice, it took longer way longer than it should have for this anime to finally get a home video release. And I'm really curious what they mean by "all new English dub".
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:26 am Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
Nice, it took longer way longer than it should have for this anime to finally get a home video release. And I'm really curious what they mean by "all new English dub".
I noticed that they didn't say the same thing when they announced Hero Mask. So either they wanted to proudly say that it had a dub or they weren't allowed to use the Netflix dub and had to rerecord a new dub.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
JonDoe wrote:
I noticed that they didn't say the same thing when they announced Hero Mask. So either they wanted to proudly say that it had a dub or they weren't allowed to use the Netflix dub and had to rerecord a new dub.

It's a good question. The "all-new English dub" is something Sentai uses when it rereleases something that was previously sub-only, so I could conceivably see it maybe being an oversight in the marketing material this time.

I do like that we seem to be getting an uptick in the number of Netflix shows coming to home video. Sentai seems to have worked out a bit of a niche doing physical releases for shows that streamed elsewhere, so it would be cool if they did more of that since Netflix itself has shown zero interest in physical releases.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:08 am Reply with quote
It's either just a marketing buzzword or a marketing mistake as mentioned above. I seriously doubt Sentai is going to make an entire new dub for Baki when they have a perfectly good one on Netlfix especially after Sentai passed on dubbing Kaji.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/1364267395204833280

Quote:
FYI. Baki is an all NEW Sentai dub! Keep an eye on our social for the future cast list!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1