• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Apologizes After Posting Twitter Meme About Texas Winter Storm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Ted cruz is probably laughing from "afar"
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
That wasn’t even insensitive. These same people are those forgetting how Texas has been having cold temperatures every winter like it’s brand new. Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
HIDIVE was definitely affected by that storm. The stream of last week's episode of Redo of Healer was delayed by almost a full day because of the power outages, and I wouldn't be surprised if the timely posting of other content may have been affected as well.

I've had to deal with burst pipes because of cold weather before (my washer is in my attached garage, and the line into the washer can freeze in sustained temperatures around or below 0° F), so I know how much trouble that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
That wasn’t even insensitive. These same people are those forgetting how Texas has been having cold temperatures every winter like it’s brand new. Rolling Eyes

I think it's another case of people who aren't the ones affected by a situation speaking on behalf of those that are. Seems like a harmless joke to me. I mean, this last year we saw a lot of jokes about corona and quarantining without any complaints. Before this, "gender reveal party" jokes about the California fires were super common Humor helps people through tough times. Luckily we haven't lost power here. I was watching some Austin-based streamers on Twitch do 'survivor' like streams last week which was pretty funny.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

There are probably ton memes all over twitter similar. Nothing wrong with this meme. Showing how texans feel by the storm at the time.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

There are probably ton memes all over twitter similar. Nothing wrong with this meme. Showing how texans feel by the storm at the time.

You don't have to do memes about anything, though...
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to run a social media account. Sometimes the engagement isn't worth it.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

You wanna point to the yearly infrastructure collapse you’re apparently claiming? I’m sure it’s a real comfort to those that froze to death that you think they should be used to this.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
It's hard to run a social media account. Sometimes the engagement isn't worth it.

This is what happens when your social media manager says your content is to bland and boring, why not lighten it up with some humor!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
So has this winter storm effected any of the Texas based dubbing studios? I know voice actors are working remotely, but don't the recording team still us the officers.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
RIP the fired intern, at least he can drink with the ASW social media dude who memed on Cyberpunk 2077.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

I think it's another case of people who aren't the ones affected by a situation speaking on behalf of those that are. Seems like a harmless joke to me. I mean, this last year we saw a lot of jokes about corona and quarantining without any complaints. Before this, "gender reveal party" jokes about the California fires were super common Humor helps people through tough times. Luckily we haven't lost power here. I was watching some Austin-based streamers on Twitch do 'survivor' like streams last week which was pretty funny.

First of all, the difference between this Tweet and the jokes about the gender reveal party fires (because there were multiple instances of this) is that the latter is a joke at the expense of the people who started them. It's not mocking those who lost their goods and property, it's mocking the people who started them through stupid negligence for the benefit of nothing but their social media feeds.

Hidive's original tweet, on the other hand, is a joke made at the expense of those who suffered through the storm. It's offensive not just because it's playing the implication of a sexual assault as a joke, but it's a joke at the expense of the millions who suffered and the increasing number people who died because of it. Also, this isn't just a matter of dealing with a winter storm. It's that it was combined with a massive infrastructure failure that happened entirely because those in charge cared only for making money instead of weatherproofing their systems.

Secondly, there's a difference between making a joke on your personal Twitter feed and making a joke on a company's professional account. Even if Hidive wants to cultivate a more casual, jokey atmosphere on their social media account, they are still expected to maintain some sort of professional decorum and that means not making tasteless jokes at the expense.

Let me put it like this: I live in the part of eastern Iowa that got wrecked by a massive derecho last August. Hundreds of thousands of people lost power for days on end in the middle of summer. Their homes and properties were damaged and lost. People died. The state and local governments sat on their hands for days instead of calling for help right away. Had I seen a similar tweet with "Iowa" and "Derecho" swapped out for "Texas" and "Winter Storm," I would not be laughing. I would indeed be offended and even a little mad. Maybe it's not the most egregious crime, but it's a lousy joke to begin with and it's one that doesn't have a place on a professional anime streaming site's social media.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's another case of people who aren't the ones affected by a situation speaking on behalf of those that are.
Are you trying to imply that every anime fan in Texas was totally ok with HiDive's joke and that every person who complained about it was from outside the state? That's a real stretch to justify a joke that wasn't even that funny or even made any sense. I can't imagine people would be as willing to defend Funimation who are also in Texas if they made a joke like this like people are going out of their way to defend HiDive for some reason.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I can't imagine people would be as willing to defend Funimation who are also in Texas if they made a joke like this like people are going out of their way to defend HiDive for some reason.

If we're really goin' down that rabbit hole, would this even have made the news if it wasn't HiDive who made the joke? Going off the quote tweets of HiDive's original tweet the biggest complainer of the tweet was Lynzee's response with 50 likes. The original tweet wasn't even "ratio'd" as the kids say. Most people seemed fine with it and laughed along with it. Lynzee had a bone to pick with Sentai/HiDive ever since they licensed Redo of Healer and has complained about them a number of times on Twitter like when they refused to delete comments that criticize ANN on their page. It's entirely possible this wouldn't have even been reported on if Funimation made the joke
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The reason this is news is because an anime streaming service metaphorically showed it ass on social media. If Funi had done such a thing, they would have likely received the same treatment. That Funimation hasn't (and likely wouldn't) make such a post is a testament to their social media person/team having some modicum of sense and good taste.

It has nothing to do with that stupid show and certainly not with whatever conspiracy you or others have cooked up about ANN being part of some shadowy anime cabal out to stop all fanservice anime forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3