• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation Store Halts Purchases, Rentals of Movie, TV Content on August 31

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
(serious) can you sue if you spent a great deal of money on purchases from their store and can no longer access those movies/shows? I bought an enormous amount of anime from their store over the years to save GB space.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
They're definitely starting a new streaming service. There's no doubt about it now.

cookiemanstah wrote:
(serious) can you sue if you spent a great deal of money on purchases from their store and can no longer access those movies/shows? I bought an enormous amount of anime from their store over the years to save GB space.

I suspect they will reimburse people through store credit.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

If they have something in the terms and service about them being able to remove content even if you have purchased it probably not.

Also the article clearly states you can still access any purchased movies or tv shows after August 31
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
They're definitely starting a new streaming service. There's no doubt about it now.

There is probably a good chance of that. Movie and TV companies certainly like the idea of streaming services since it means a constant influx of subscription fees. And I can't imagine Sony isn't looking at the fact that they own Funimation and will own Crunchyroll in the near future and thinking that it is redundant to have more than one service in that niche. Whether they roll the two into one anime streaming service or they roll both of those into a larger Sony streaming platform is the question I have.

Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

If they have something in the terms and service about them being able to remove content even if you have purchased it probably not.

Also the article clearly states you can still access any purchased movies or tv shows after August 31

Yeah, it is only new purchases/rentals that will cease. A similar thing happens with some games where they may no longer be for sale, but you can download them if they are in your library. That said, I've never trusted that system. It might not cost a lot to maintain access to re-download stuff, but it's not free and Sony already looked at things and decided being a TV/movie retailer isn't worth it. It's a big part of why I support physical releases and if something is digital only, I don't delete it. I simply don't trust that the access will be there in the future. I would be very surprised if there isn't something in the terms of use that says that they aren't obligated to maintain access forever.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

It seems that you can still access this for download... for now.

That is not a guarantee for the future.

I know I've bought DLC, and despite all the assurances that it will still be there even if it ceases to be available on the store - the fact is that unless you downloaded it to your HDD, you can no longer download it anymore. And yes, this is because it was music licensed content.

If the license holder is someone other than PlayStation, there is NEVER a guarantee that you can ever still access it.

This is the problem with digital. I will never make large digital purchases anymore. If I ever buy something digitally it's because it is not available physically, and because the price was dirt cheap, like only on sale for prices under $10. Or they were giving it away for free.

Digital Downloading was always a stopgap until Streaming came along. Once streaming becomes entirely painless, the digital download market will die with the exception of certain applications that can only be run well on local high end hardware. Physical will be small, but will always remain, and for good reason.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

cookiemanstah wrote:

I suspect they will reimburse people through store credit.

They already have Funimation.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the point of this to be honest, I mean you can play Blu-Rays on your PS3 and PS4 and use apps like Netflix. The only good thing that ever came out of this was when Sony gave Studio Bones a ton of money to make Xam'd Lost Memories. That show had [expletive] amazing animation.
Mewmaster300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've never seen the point of this to be honest, I mean you can play Blu-Rays on your PS3 and PS4 and use apps like Netflix. The only good thing that ever came out of this was when Sony gave Studio Bones a ton of money to make Xam'd Lost Memories. That show had [expletive] amazing animation.

It's a stopgap between streaming and full on ownership. There's multiple reasons that people might want to buy the episodes like this, like minimalists that want the absolute least amount of things in their house as they can possibly have, or people that have bad internet connections and can't stream, but are fine with waiting for the episode to download. Or maybe even just weirdos that want to get into anime, don't want to pay for a full monthly Crunchyroll/Funimation subscription, and think a dollar or two to try an episode out might be worthwhile.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1