• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams 'Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town,' Kagu

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Erica's back? Oh they've GOT to cast her in a future ep of One Piece! You can't miss an opportunity to have 2 Luffy's talking to each other!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny seeing Erica, the original Luffy, leading a Funimation dub. I think she'll be a good Lloyd though.

Alexis Tipton is once again playing a crazy Yandere.

Doug Erholtz and Billy Kametz are nice surprises.

I was wondering if they were ever going to release season 1 of Kaguya, so it seems they were working on that behind the scenes. I wonder if they're doing the same for season 1 of Irregular at Magic High School.

(I hope they tone down Ian Sinclair's narrator).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Sound Cadence is really killing it with this onslaught of dubs they're churning out. What's next? Love Live Nijigasaki or something? And Bella Hudson as the lead character? When was the last time she played a male character, much less a lead character? 4Kids One Piece? (Yeah, I know Erica is her real name, but I admit I'm more familiar with her as Bella Hudson)

This ought to be interesting.
Malsang

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Finally! I wanted to watch the Kaguya dub but without season 1 dubbed it felt too awkward to switch between the two. Problem solved!
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
OMG! It took me a minute to recognize Erica's name.
Yooooo! Happy to see one of my favorite childhood VAs back in the scene~~
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Malsang wrote:
Finally! I wanted to watch the Kaguya dub but without season 1 dubbed it felt too awkward to switch between the two. Problem solved!

I'd recommend against it. I typically prefer dubs in just about everything but the casting for Kaguya-Sama is the worst I have seen in years. Hayasaka's english voice is off to me, and the choice made for the style of the narrator kills everything the original japanese voice was going for.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Malsang wrote:

I'd recommend against it. I typically prefer dubs in just about everything but the casting for Kaguya-Sama is the worst I have seen in years. Hayasaka's english voice is off to me, and the choice made for the style of the narrator kills everything the original japanese voice was going for.

Yeah, their take on the narrator is kind of a dealbreaker for me when it comes to the Kaguya dub. They make too much of an effort to have him standout more than he actually should and it's honestly immersion breaking for me.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
This is where the opinions diverge, because I definitely preferred the dub narrator over the Japanese version. I think they have their own distinct styles, with the Japanese narrator resembling more of a documentary while the English narration feels like Loki the god of mischief (the actual god, not the marvel character) commenting on mortal shenanigans.

I definitely had more laugh out loud moments with the English narrator than I did with the Japanese one.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
This is where the opinions diverge, because I definitely preferred the dub narrator over the Japanese version. I think they have their own distinct styles, with the Japanese narrator resembling more of a documentary while the English narration feels like Loki the god of mischief (the actual god, not the marvel character) commenting on mortal shenanigans.

I definitely had more laugh out loud moments with the English narrator than I did with the Japanese one.

I feel like the Japanese narrator works better because he's addressing everything in such a straight, stoic, and serious voice to contrast with how ridiculous it all is while the English version is trying to outdo the rest of the cast when it comes to the comedy (even down to acknowledging memes).

It just felt really out of place for me and not in-character to the source material.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Generations wrote:

I feel like the Japanese narrator works better because he's addressing everything in such a straight, stoic, and serious voice to contrast with how ridiculous it all is while the English version is trying to outdo the rest of the cast when it comes to the comedy (even down to acknowledging memes).

It just felt really out of place for me and not in-character to the source material.

The Japanese narrator is comically serious - ramping up the tension like a fight announcer even over the most trivial concerns, and he is like that right out of the gate. The English narrator starts out like something out of a nature documentary - if he gets funny later I didn't have the patience to wait for it to happen - the change was so jarring that I stopped watching after only a few minutes. The second casting fumble for Hayasaka killed it for me.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Eh, 'comically serious' is debatable. Like, don't get me wrong, it worked in the Japanese dub, but if you asked me at any point I thought it was actually funny, it wasn't.

The only issue I had with the dub was Kei, the little sister. It was immediately noticeable every time she was on screen.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

I agree. I haven’t watched the Japanese version, but the narrator in the dub is just distracting. He gets so hammy at some points that it makes what’s happening on screen seem restrained in comparison, which is not the intent in most scenes. His dialogue is also weirdly clunky in many places, and it does not help things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1